Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

View Poll Results: Which style of art do/would you use for DC designs?
foto-realistic 3 42.86%
3D art (e.g., Manikus' artwork) 3 42.86%
"pixel" art (e.g., Uatu's artwork) 4 57.14%
"classic" computer-generated art (similar to Eye of the Beholder) 7 100.00%
FRUA style (art converted from FRUA and similar sources) 2 28.57%
comic/manga style (e.g., Dinonykos' artwork) 4 57.14%
something else... 4 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Default Art Styles

I wonder if I should do some more art which I won't use myself, e.g. small pics of dwarves, elves and so on. Thus, it is interesting for me and may probably be for others which kind of art style people like to use for DC...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: Art Styles

For classic and FRUA-style, do you mean thematically the same, or converted from, as the pixels in FRUA convert to be (very roughly) 2x3.

Just thought I'd ask before I cast my vote.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
For classic and FRUA-style, do you mean thematically the same, or converted from, as the pixels in FRUA convert to be (very roughly) 2x3.
Yep, that is somewhat unprecise. With FRUA-style, I mean converted from original art without redrawing (only resizing), so that the art looks somewhat crappy (low-resolution). With classic, I mean directly made for DC, but in the style of EoB or similar games. Jörg Weber's art is an example for that. But I would also add "re-made" FRUA art to this category.
Uatu's art is maybe also in the "classic" category, but I consider it something special.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Gotcha, Thanks for clearing up the "fuzziness" a bit.

I see that no one is voting for converted art (of a whopping 3 votes as of this writing), makes me think something I've been thinking as I convert all of the art from the GoldBox games, "what's the point?" I guess it still makes good "placeholder" art until you can get something better, and maybe someone will "upgrade" some of it, the way Ziroc did with the icons he released...
Old 08-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
I see that no one is voting for converted art (of a whopping 3 votes as of this writing),
I remember Budzo and Oliver used converted art in the contest. I guess I should mention this poll at the FRUA forum, maybe then the picture will change...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

The results will likely change if more people become involved.

It does not matter much to me if nobody wants to use the converted GB art, I will still do it, as I think it's something that should be done, to bring the old into the new, so to speak.

As for Budzo and Olivier, they can speak for themselves, but I feel that they would have used different art were more available.

My decision about not doing the rest of the GB art right now doesn't really have anything to do with this poll, I had already decided to move it to the back-burner unless someone were to request something. I pretty much only have the walls for several different games to do, and they are very time consuming. I think I can much better spend my time working on DC documentation or on testing the scripts. For example, in the time it would take me to screencap and convert 4 or 5 walls, I was able to finish two more sections of the help docs and found and fixed bugs in close to a dozen scripts.

Plus the sooner I can get all of my "official" DC stuff done, the sooner I can get back to my own art. Then I can just create DC versions thematically similar to walls used in the GoldBox games.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

I could comment on using the art, I could USE the converted art... I could even make my own if it wasn't that I have computer issues...

ST
Old 08-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThief View Post
... if it wasn't that I have computer issues...

ST

What now? Perhaps it is similar to my non-internet connected computer telling me that it got a reset message from MS and then it reset product codes in the registry...
Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
nologgie
Dungeon Master

Quote:
What now? Perhaps it is similar to my non-internet connected computer telling me that it got a reset message from MS and then it reset product codes in the registry...
Well, there's the net, and then there's THE NET.
(At some level, everything is connected.)

Thanks for the Gold Box conversions.

As to art, I'll use whatever I can steal. I'd prefer not to use a 3D-Caldwell-Anime-Flintstones-Norman Rockwell mix, but if it kept me from having to draw, I'd probably go for it.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
manikus
Jack Burton

See the "Flintstones" mentioned reminds that there are a couple of viable styles not listed - comic book and "painted" are the first two that pop to mind. By comic book, I mean just exactly that - something you might see gracing the pages of your favorite Marvel, DC, Image or Darkhorse title. By "painted" I mean something along the lines of a median between my style and Dinonykos' style and/or something by one of the masters of fantasy art (I'm not putting myself in that category, I just mean something full of colors but not rendered).

You know, every time I read this poll and thread, I see the word "walls" in there...I must have them on the brain or something so use "walls" as a filter for my above paragraphs.

I did bring up comic because I've been thinking a lot about rebooting 'Hero Craft', which is the DC version of SHUA.
We should also have 'Dragon Craft' for Dragonlance, which has a vertain look to it, too, (but is straying a bit from the topic).