Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Who has a keyboard that they would recommend? There are certain features on some of the newer ones by Logitech and Microsoft that

I do not care for:

I do not want wireless
I do not care about programmable hotkeys
I do not need multi-media controls
I do not need internet hotkeys
I do not want one of the crooked ones that has the board divided

What I do want:

Quiet keys
Good feel
Not a cheap-o
USB

Can somebody help me find a balance between these points?

[ 12-27-2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I've got a generic Microsoft keyboard. I don't use the programmable keys, but I like it's feel and stability. IIRC, the difference in $ is minimal at the low end of the keyboard market, so why don't you just treat yourself to what feels right

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 12-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Why don't you go for one of those flat keyboards made of that plastic-like material? [img]smile.gif[/img] I've been dying to try those, they roll up like a piece of paper, they're spill proof and there are no keys to make noise with since they're all panel-buttons. Not sure about USB though ...
Old 12-27-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Well, I just did a quick inventory, and of the five machines here at home, I have a Microsoft ergonomic, an IBM, a Keytronic, a Packard Bell, and a Mouse Systems. And in the "store room", I've got two Belkin classics, a Memorex, and one of unknown origin (but likely bad). So I've got a few around here [img]smile.gif[/img]

I don't like the ergonomic so much, but I put up with it -- it doesn't work well with a wrist rest, and the included "wrist rest attachment" isn't wide enough for me. It does have a couple of programmable buttons, but the only one I use is for email -- pops up outlook for me automagically, and it's kind of handy. Wouldn't bother me if it were gone, though.

The IBM is good, and a workhorse -- it's a few years old. Same for the other active ones -- they've been around, although the Packard Bell is going to be toast once I no longer have to worry about my son hitting the windows key while in a game or something.

The stuff in the storeroom has been picked up whenever CompUSA, OfficeMax, or OfficeDepot has a keyboard available for free after rebate. If you're going to experiment, that's a might fine way to do it [img]smile.gif[/img]

What I'd do is try out some keyboards at one of the computer stores. See which ones you like or don't like. Then keep an eye out for it being on sale, and sooner or later, it will be. Or another one will be free, which will give you a little breathing room.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:22 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:50 PM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

i have a cheapo keyborad... but it has a nice feel.. it's genius i think...

i am actually looking for a logitech black keyboard... i am having a hard time looking for a black keyboard... they have a perfect black keyboard i am looking for but... it's cordless...
Old 12-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #7
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I just have my generic HP keyboard, and the keys are fairly quiet, and it's held together so far [img]tongue.gif[/img]