Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-25-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

Well, i thank all of you who helped with the last computer problem but it seems that i didn't completely fix everything. Today i discovered that the printer is now not working. I tried to print something with Microsoft Works, a task that i did at Thanksgiving with no problems. However, now instead of printing i'm getting this error:
Wkswp has caused an error in COMDLG32.DLL.
Wkswp will now close.
I'm really getting fed up with this. When it seems like you got everything fixed another problem rears its ugly head. Any help with this predicament would be greatly appreciated.

To see comp specs click here:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=10;t=018652

P.S. That pesky KERNEL32.DLL is still acting up again. Getting very frustrated. Must... hold back... fist of death. Must... not... attack... computer...

[ 12-25-2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Piestrider ]
Old 12-26-2003, 06:40 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

comdlg32.dll is the common dialogue library. The bit of code that tells windows how to display a file selection box or whatever. kernel32.dll is part of the windows core.

I'm thinking that reinstalling windows would be a good idea at this point, I would go for a total reinstall from scratch but you might get away with installing over the top of the existing version.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #3
Gammit
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
kernel32.dll is part of the windows core.

I'm thinking that reinstalling windows would be a good idea at this point, I would go for a total reinstall from scratch but you might get away with installing over the top of the existing version.
Ewww, a bad kernel32.dll is NEVER a good thing. It wouldn't hurt to take andrewas's advice.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Back up anything you don't want to lose either on a cd or someone else's pc (we have three machines networked at home now so it's not a prob here anymore) and completely reformat. That's about the only way you can clear those error msgs if my understanding is right.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:14 AM   #5
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

ew... thats not what i wanted to hear. Well i guess you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. If i reinstall Windows ME using the recovery disk will it format anything like saved games or anything else like that?
Old 12-27-2003, 05:28 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Yes, this is the problem with recovery discs, they just format the drive and reinstall the default image. Great for tech support since it makes things dead easy, but a PITA for the end user.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:32 AM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Have a look here. It gives information specifically about the HP Pavillion.

If the above fails, there is a fairly complicated article here that may help. If you had Windows 98, then possibly sfc.exe might have worked, however, ME is a complete pain in this regard.

You may need to locate the .CAB files on your PC for the above to work if your PC came with ME pre-installed.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 12-27-2003, 09:52 AM   #8
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

OMG, Piestrider----I didn't realize you were still using ME!!!!! That, my dear,is half your problem! ME is so full of memory leaks and other bugs that you might as well just throw in the towel and reformat every month from now on.

Go with 2000 or even XP (tho XP takes much more space, I believe) We had ME for almost 2 years and no matter what we did or how careful we were, there were troubles after troubles. Finally we got 2000Pro (use it at work as well) and we have very few problems now. Much more secure for online, less error-ridden, easier to maneuver and network. Altogether worth the change.