Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2002, 06:37 AM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

I'm no moderator, but I just felt the need to post this. Everyone on this board: please watch your spelling! Remember to type words as accurate as possible, because it can help others, who wish to solve your problems a lot! So take youR time to type your message, and read it over, if necessary!

Cheers,
Link

Sorry for the inconvenience PeeWee (Herman??). I hope you understand my post better now.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Link ]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:22 AM   #2
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

NOt being aggressive, but some of us pay a lot to go onto the net and need to type fast. We can only see the forum on then net, so we try to type as fast as possible without spelling mistakes, but if "i" and "c" and words broken down into one letters are not spelling mistakes then are they acceptable? eg "ne1=anyone"
Old 02-06-2002, 07:30 AM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Personally I don't have a lot of problems with spelling errors, and none at all with things like 'ne1'. Also, remember that a big portion of people here are not native English-speakers, and some haven't learned a lot of English in school. A few times, though, I've run across some posts that were very unclear in language, with the result that most people didn't understand the question. If everyone tries to voice their questions/answers as clear as they're able to, spelling is no problem at all, IMHO.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:11 AM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

It's not a personal attack on you, or anyone else, Barlik! I just want to say that it makes life easier if you don't type Valgar, or scemirat, because it can be understandable for some, but totally fuzzy for others.
Also, I'm not opposing to using short language, as ne1. That's fine with me, it's the real spelling that troubles me, such as typing 'scemirat' instead of 'scimitar'.
And J'aran; your last sentence is exactly what I mean. Thanks!

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 10:15 AM   #5
fable
Quintesson

I think I hear what you're saying, Link, but I would suggest it might better be put as:

"Please think through and state your questions clearly, and in detail."

We've had far too many questions that are similar to "Hey, dude, I was outside the building you know bar and that guy a fighter came up and attacked me with his buddies like whats going on huh thanks."
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:42 AM   #6
Level 42
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
So take you time to type your message, and read it over, if necessary!
Cheers,
Link

Uh...do I see a spelling error here or what! And Link ... stop preaching!
Level 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 02:35 AM   #7
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

quote:
Originally posted by Level 42:

Uh...do I see a spelling error here or what! And Link ... stop preaching!

I hope you're typing this with tongue in cheek
Link makes a valid point, it's not so much the spelling in general but the ability to understand the post so that people can respond faster and more accurately. But you already know that from the other posts on this thread, eh level 42 [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 06:14 AM   #8
Whailor

Regarding the spelling - it's a moot point. Most people here are NOT native english speakers (like me) and do make the errors, and WILL make them. So, big deal. Doesn't warrant your request.

Regarding the question form - naturally everyone should make the questions meaningful, for their OWN good in the first place. It doesn't help the author of the question at all if he/she writes "How do I kill that mob? Please help, I am so stuck!". So you don't like the question, don't then deal with it. Seek out questions then which are formatted to your 'exquisite' taste and deal with those. You don't have any right to jump on someone just because they formed the question incorrectly. Want to deal with such issues - be patient and ask some guiding, additional questions, a la "What is the mob name? In which area? What level are you/your party?" and so on. You aren't exactly helping at all to solve the issue with your approach. Not everyone has been on the 1-week training "The Art of Writing The Meaningful Posts".

As for the abbreviations a la 'u', 'r', 'w8 4 me' and such, then these are the ones I don't like. There is NO excuse to write such crap. It's a plain lazyness and if a writer of that s**t is so un-educated or lazy that cannot write "you" instead of 'u', then such person should really not write anything at all. I personally tend to ignore such posts. If you want some answers or help with something, then WRITE the message with words as they should be, and not put up some mess like this.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:58 AM   #9
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor:
Regarding the question form - naturally everyone should make the questions meaningful, for their OWN good in the first place. It doesn't help the author of the question at all if he/she writes "How do I kill that mob? Please help, I am so stuck!". So you don't like the question, don't then deal with it. Seek out questions then which are formatted to your 'exquisite' taste and deal with those. You don't have any right to jump on someone just because they formed the question incorrectly. Want to deal with such issues - be patient and ask some guiding, additional questions, a la "What is the mob name? In which area? What level are you/your party?" and so on. You aren't exactly helping at all to solve the issue with your approach. Not everyone has been on the 1-week training "The Art of Writing The Meaningful Posts".

No one here is 'jumping' at those people, as you put it. I for one always do as you say, if I don't understand the question I politely ask for more details. But IMHO it shouldn't be necessary to do that, as it stands to reason that if you want/need guidance on something, you should ask your question in as clear a manner as possible and providing as many details as you can.
I don't want to bash anyone here, but personally I don't understand why people think that if they ask something like "How do I kill that monster in that dungeon with all the other monsters?" without providing one clue as to which monster and which dungeon they're referring to, still think someone will be able to give them an answer. IMHO, you shouldn't need a 1-week course to know that such a question is very unclear.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 09:15 AM   #10
PeeWee
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I'm no moderator, but I just felt the need to post this. Everyone on this board: please watch your spelling! Remember to type words as accurate as possible, because it can help others, who wish to solve your problems a lot! So take you time to type your message, and read it over, if necessary!

Cheers,
Link

Yes, I see the problem here with the "you time" needing to be -your time-. Now, does this VERY message fall to being a victim to it's meaning? I think so in more ways than one.

Here, I see a guy coming onto the boards and saying to watch for spelling when he may mean something else... heh. Does he mean to watch for coherency or spelling? Clearly from reading his msg (message) I can't say he's saying anything else. Not my place to dig into the head of someone else...if they can't explain it the first time around.

To quote someone else replying to your message and saying that is what you meant to say just shows me not alot of time was put into your own message( not that coherent). How ironic. Maybe reread your own post next time to make sure it will make sense( or that it is clear in meaning).

Wanna know a problem I have? It's having some ppl(people) get on boards and having these oh so witty one liners like " you sound like Cernd" then proceeding to another thread and not making too much of a contribution there. One liners like "LOL". Bumping I have no problem with but do keep in mind that some people here do pay for their time on the net, and it's a hassle to weed out the good from the bad. I had a netzero account and had to use my time wisely. Can't go through every post just to find a LOL or something not helping or contributing to the topic. This is my opinion however.

If we are talking about that irritating(my opinion) post about the scimitar that seems like a riddle, then I too have a problem with that. I don't know however if the poster has a limited time to type it and to get back to it(I'm also believing that not all younger people understand proper netiquette). Some ppl(people) post during weekends or during fixed times out of the week. Not my place to judge - but it bugs me too. It almost bugs me as much as this post just because I didn't catch what you meant to say until I had to read replies.

Not the way to go to make a statement. I just find it ironic and would even put my reply in the same category as those LOL's I've seen in threads before. BTW( by the way) this message may not get seen by those you are trying to send this message out to. Do you even know how fast this could get sent to the second page if the more concerned weren't bumping the thread for you?

My younger brother would play this game and come here looking for asnwers. I know his level of intellect. Some kids don't know any better and it takes more than this one thread to steer even one person in the right direction.

I suggest that next time you personally want to help someone, don't make a generalized post thinking you can "cap" the problem and "fix" it. You won't. Instead, ask more or say more in replying back to the original author. I find it a mess to ask when it's futile. That also goes with including a BIG SPOILER TAG to information that would spoil my game. I see that more here also but ain't (am not) gonna make a thread about it.<---OT[off-topic]

And if I made spelling mistakes, I hope ya get the jest of what I'm saying.