Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2000, 11:16 AM   #1
Vlade

so what is or what do u think is the best toe to toe fighter out there?
well, i think its da 9/9++ kensai/mage combo... use tenser transform and wow, double hit points and with the same exp, not even a pure fighter is that much ahead in terms of AC and THACO.

Old 11-18-2000, 06:55 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Depends on the situation. Using best weapons available for the class? For quick, devastating attacks the Kensai-Mage has to take the cake. Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Haste, Spirit Armor and Tensers dual-wielding Celestial Fury and the Zerthblade will make him unbeatable in any one battle but you can only use those spells so often before you have to rememorize. And you will spend a lot of the early part of the game being shielded by others because your AC is just shithouse without those spell buffs. So you have to be selective with who you attack and you better make damn sure that you kill whatever you attack in the first couple of rounds. For overall versatility through the game the Berserker is pretty tough, put Armor of the Hart +3 or Gorgons Plate, make him dual wield Crom Faeyr(best weapon in the game) and Stonefire +3 and he can kick ass from the early levels, and no external buffs needed. Plus he can enrage which makes him immune to confusion etc.
Old 11-18-2000, 07:10 PM   #3
Armisael

I don't think the Kensai is the best toe-to-toe fighter. Not by a long shot. Definitely the best kit for killing single enemies quickly, but if a kensai gets surrounded or faces off with a large group of enemies he's going to be hurting. Defense spells are all well and good, but no temporary defense spell can beat a good, solid AC for drawn-out battles. I'd say the berserker or the barbarian is the best. They can take a lot of punishment and deal it all back thrice over.

Old 11-18-2000, 07:22 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Pure kensai is one of the most overrated kits in the game, you can't get your AC lower than -2 or -3 with ring and cloak +2 and you can't take the frontline beating. That's why they're only useful when they're buffed up, which makes them perfect as commando-type quick attack fighters. A kensai toe to toe against a berserker or a cavalier will get his ass grassed anytime as the kensai will do max damage vs the berserker or cav for the first couple of rounds but if the berserker or cav is still standing after that which they will be as their hps will be high the kensai's low AC won't be able to take the steady pounding.
Old 11-18-2000, 10:42 PM   #5
Vlade

oh? by the time the kai shout wears out so will your berserk and tenser transform lasts really long and with contingency built in... the kensai mage will last even longer. remove the exp cap and chain contingency can come into play say bye bye berserker/cavalier...

Old 11-18-2000, 10:45 PM   #6
Vlade

oh yeah, an example is the LAST Irenicus fight, my kensai mage waltz thru it on the insane difficulty level...

Old 11-18-2000, 11:05 PM   #7
Armisael

That would be with your 23 strength/dexterity/constitution, yes?

Old 11-18-2000, 11:12 PM   #8
BaatoRyan

I believe Memnoch, Armisael... it is not cracked up as it should be. But I think Kensais are way cool! My obssesion for Kensais is kinda weird already... but, Kensais are one of those one-two-three killing machines. They go there, tick-tock, and then out. They are unbeatable when they battle with speed... since they are quick, if they are getting beat up by whoever, they can run and drink some potions then back to killin! They won't last if they were to battle a Cavalier, Barbarian if they didn't have the speed... they would suck!

Old 11-19-2000, 12:04 AM   #9
Armisael

Er... yeah, I believe Memnoch, too. What I don't believe, however, is that any class could solo the last battle on insane difficulty. That's a crock.

Old 11-19-2000, 08:29 AM   #10
Vlade

yes, u can. ok, so i removed the exp cap and was 9/19 when i kill ole Jon, satisfied? it was in the manner of an experiment...