Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-18-2000, 12:43 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Tara, let me get this right...a sorcerer can learn NEW spells as he picks them up? He's not limited to what he learns when he levels up? If that's the case then that blows my whole argument out of the water. My biggest issue was that I had a set (minimal) no of spells at high level and i thought I couldn't learn any more. (Eg THREE 8th level spells).

If I'm reading you right, then a Sorcerer kicks ass after all.
Old 11-18-2000, 08:52 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I was curious about the sorcerer class having never played it. At first the whole idea of being able to cast ANY spell from your repertoire without having to memorize was appealing. I thought it functioned similar to the way they handled Arcanists in Netheril, where you *learn* a set number of spells as you level up, and can cast a set amount of spell levels before sleeping based on level.

But on testing it I found out that the sorcerer actually sucks! though I am prejudiced by currently playing a mage and haven't really tested the sorcerer out. Sorcerer with an int of 18 can cast 6 spells of each level a *day* and can learn 5 spells from levels 1-4 or 5, then 4 for 6-7, then 3 for level 8 and NONE for level 9! this is at 17th level. And how do you use sequencers? they basically waste 3 spell positions, if you learn the spell trigger spell then you only have TWO other spells of level 8 you can learn. And you can still cast those 3 spells 6 times so you better make sure one of them is AbiDalzims. If you make a wrong choice to learn you're sunk. I don't think there's enough flexibility built into the class, eg you get 6 spells you can cast from level 4 when there's not that many good spells to use. Getting disillusioned with the sorcerer class.

Okay, maybe at early and mid levels the sorcerer is a lot more self-sufficient than a mage of similar level, but once the mage reaches higher levels he just kicks ass over the sorcerer in just about anything.

Anyone currently play a sorcerer out there? Feel free to take my argument to pieces, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old 11-18-2000, 09:05 AM   #3
Tara

Memnoch- my Tara character was a sorceress. She was exceptionally cool- but I edited the heck out of her too, lol! Removed the experience cap and addded tons of experience through CLUAConsole and then went into Shadowkeeper and gave her more per spells per level and more spells, lol. So.. not really fair, but it was fun!

Overall I would still preferr the sorceress just on the point that with a mage I find myself having to constantly prep his book for the next game to get memorized the right spells I need- vs a sorcerer who can use any spell he knows- just plunge in and pick a good variety of spell types w/ level up. you do need to be really aware of the most helpful spells before you try this though because if you don't get the right spell combos you're screwed.

I never used sequencers because like you said- they are a wasted slot and not nearly as important as having the right spells on hand. Another good tip for the sorcerrer is to keep scroll cases full at all times- they are a very handy way of expanding your repitoire.

Old 11-18-2000, 06:46 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

bump
Old 11-18-2000, 07:33 PM   #5
Suul-Yinn

Yeh, I was curious about them too. I like the flexibility of being able to cast any spell in your reportoire any number of times. No longer would you have to wish you had saved that spell last night. Plus, I suspect you would try more spells out, instead of using just the same few spwlls each time. Anyone else finished the game with one?