Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I've read that it's possible to kill the DK on the first floor of Durlag's Towerm but I'm never fast enough. Can somebody give me a tactic please?

I've got a F/M/C, Imoen (thief only), Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

OK, I actually just figured it out!

I cast the spell, Otiluke's Resiliant Sphere at him, and pummeled him with my bare fists (I knocked him unconcious!). When the spell wore off, I switched to regular weapons, and killed him.

Fortunately, I can now confirm that the Helm of Opposite Alignment does, in fact, exist. Unfortunately, I didn't get any experience for killing him this way (I think he's supposed to be worth 15,000!), nor was he carrying the dagger for that dwarf I need.

I'm going to reload and not bother with the helmet. I don't need it anyway.

ON EDIT: He's also got a Large Shield +1 and Full Plate Mail +1.

[ 05-17-2005, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
krunchyfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Worry not krunchyfrogg, he still appears at the end of the tower. You still get oodles of XP for him. That is, if you don't hit the XP cap before then.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Wow, ok, that's cool!

Now, another question: What good is that helmet for me? The only thing I can really think of (since I don't want to use Evil NPCs, until ToB), is that I might be able to take some of the evil paths at the end of SoA for powergaming purposes. I really don't think I'll do that anyway, but any ideas are welcome!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 AM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

er... and isnt otiluke's resiliant sphere supposed to make you immune to all attacks? is that a bug?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:26 AM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I guess non lethal attacks (bare fists) are ok.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

IIRC, and I might not cuz it's been forever and I don't have a list of the spells at my fingertips, I think O.R.S. (Otilukes Resiliant Sphere) blocks all magic, but also effectively paralyzes the recipient.

But I could be wrong and it was just a major glitch. Either way it worked. *shrugs*

Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

FSA, you're sure that DK shows up later on again, right?

So, again, what use is that helmet for me?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Yes, he does appear in the place he's supposed to show up.
Also, the helmet is about as useful as the girdle of sex-change. All it does is reverse the polarity on your allignment. (most likely having no effect on true neutral players.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:51 AM   #10
Midget Gems

I gave the 'Helm' to Ajantis and made an evil Paladin. Interesting idea but nothing much happened to him. Shame.