Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Question Mark Amazon Kindle?

Anyone have one? Im curious about them and would like some comments from anyone who has one.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Amazon Kindle?

You could be nice and cater to the ignorant and tell us what it is.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Im pretty sure if you don't know what it is, you dont have it and it isn't contagious

Ok it is a book reader, an ebook reader actually Look here
Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Shyte, that's my invention!!

I think I can use my 10.4" digital photo frame the same way.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

With scrolling, DRM, Whispernet downloads over EVDO, and everything? Nice photo frame!

A friend of mine has one and loves it. I looked at providing my books on it, but it's costly... Amazon keeps 65% of the prices, and those folks would generally buy the paper versions for full price.

Still... it is probably the wave of the future. May have to consider it...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

I'd stay away from it until it becomes more streamlined. And if you have an ipod touch / iphone, there's an app in the appstore that lets you basically do the same thing (only with touchscreens )

If you look around , there are better/cheaper options than the kindle. You just have to be alittle more creative with the solution .
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

The technology is quite pricey, even compared to the outrageous price of books(hardback, though paperbacks aren't 'cheap' either). I think it's a technology that you will need to start with the young. Adults used to conventional books won't go for it, UNLESS the price goes down.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I don't like the kindle, because it only does .mobi, .prc and .txt as well as Amazon's proprietary format. No .pdf or even .doc etc.

Also there's the price, like you said. They take most of your profit, and they also set your price. You'd be better off selling your ebooks through Amazon's regular store instead of the Kindle network. That way you can set your price yourself, and you can chose your format.

Also about selling books on Amazon. I heard they decide if and when they want to offer your book at rebate. And it cuts into your profit.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've looked at Amazon's policies on pricing, and they're not *that* unfriendly. To quote:

Quote:
1-10: What percentage of the list price do I, as the publisher, receive?

As a publisher, you receive a set percentage (see our Terms and Conditions)of the list price that you set yourself.In the event that the Kindle Store opts to discount your title, you still receive that percentage of the list price, and the Kindle Store retains the remainder of the discounted price.
You decide your MSRP. You get (for the Kindle) 35% of that. If they decide to discount, you still get 35% of MSRP; you don't pay for them deciding to discount.

Don't know what the discount percent is on the store, but I suspect it follows the same guidelines.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Luvian; I think your info is a bit outdated, the Kindle is advertised as being able to do word documents and PDF's however the PDF format is listed as experimental, which is why I was hoping to see if anyone actually had one and could describe the current performance with pdf files.

Most of my Downloaded tech manuals are pdf format, and I would want to be able to load them up. As for iphone or any other apple product I'll just say no thanks aside from the screen being too small I don't support Apple since Jobs screwed me over back around 1986 (Yeah I hold a grudge).

I will probably follow Spirits strategy and wait a while till the prices comes down and they have the pdf thing worked out.