Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2001, 10:48 PM   #1
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Heya gang. I have been away from BG II for a while now but I am starting over again and wanted an opinion on a possible character I may create.
I know a kensai can be pretty powerful with the right eq and a kensai/mage seems like a match made in heaven. My question is long term am I better off starting as a kensai and switching to a mage for the high level mage spells or starting mage and switching to a kensai so I have the ultimate fighting abilities and a few mage spells like stoneskin?
I have played a multiclass mage/fighter type before and I found that I was in combat so much later on that I didn't use many offensive mage spells so thats the reason I wonder if starting mage and switching to kensai might be good?
Old 07-14-2001, 12:34 AM   #2
J0ker
Welcomed New User

I would go Kensi/mage, because that way you can still have the great fighting, but you will get all of the great mage spells like improved haste.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:04 AM   #3
The Silent One
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In all your opinions, when should the change to Mage be made? Does the Kensai really need any Weapon skill than the kattana? Suggestions welcome.

Thanxx in advance,

TSO
Old 07-14-2001, 03:23 AM   #4
Starkiller
The Magister

I say switch around level 10. That way you get the hp, but you get started on the mage pretty early on with plenty of xps to go so you can reach a pretty high level. Of course if you are removing the xp cap or in ToB you may want to switch later. I would also DEFINITELY have to agree, Kensai to a mage. You may not use many offensive spells, but once you hit 18th level as the mage (way to late to dual) cast time stop, then lace into them....ooooh the carnage, it hurts just imagining it. It is almost worth it JUST for that ability. I didn't have the kensai/mage, but I did it with the Slayer change during time stop and then wrecked havok while I was the only one taking actions. Worked really well as an effective strategy against mind flayers

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"
Old 07-14-2001, 03:43 AM   #5
Lifetime
Red Dragon

You can't change from a mage to a kensai, because you can't choose a kit to dual class to.

------------------
Why?
Old 07-14-2001, 04:33 AM   #6
TheDutkanator

Exactly, Lifetime. Therefore, Kensai tomage is your ONLY option. Even without exp. cap removed, when/if you get Throne of Bhaal, the exp. cap is higher. You will want to wait to dual to mage until about level 14-18. I suggest saving all your easy, little to no fighting, side quests until after you dual. This way you can do the easy quests for easier experience. Also, save your money for scrolls (unless you have a thief) AND save the scrolls you find. Writing spells to your spell book is also easy experience.

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator
Old 07-14-2001, 04:35 AM   #7
TheDutkanator

P.S. WELCOME deathknight and JOker!!

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
Old 07-14-2001, 01:03 PM   #8
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Thanks for all of the input guys your advice is going to be a great help! I am very rusty in all things BG but you know I think its going to make it more fun to start playing again.

Since I will be playing ToB after this I think I may hold off on dual classing for a couple more levels than I would have if I were just to be playing BG II.

I am trying to decide what weapons to train also. I know katana is killer but if I want to double wield what is a good combo? I think I get a proficiency with the mage so taking dagger there makes sense. I can always use the pixie prick then which is a pretty cool weapon (also throwing that flaming dagger would be nice if I needed to). is longsword the next best choice? I haven't decided on who is going to be in my party yet either so if I don't have anyone who is going to train hammer would I be better off going katana hammer and loading my main char up with 2 of the best weapons in the game?

Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2001, 01:07 PM   #9
TheDutkanator

I've started over on SoA so I could play through it And ToB. I've gotten to watcher's keep and the best weapons i've seen at this point were a short sword and a scimitar. I'm sure there are some really cool clubs and two-handed swords as I've looked through swords and clubs in Infinity Explorer. If you want easy grand mastery, use two of the same weapons. Otherwise, I like the Katana/Scimitar option because I like to use a Katana and a Ninja-To together (as any ninja/samurai would).

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
Old 07-14-2001, 01:40 PM   #10
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Well I am certainly not going to go with anything 2 handed since I definatly want to use katana for the celestial fury. For offhand weapons I think taking a skill that allows me a variety of selections would be good. There are some pretty cool special effect weapons out there I might want to try. Longsword offers some cool ones like the daystar,and dragonslayer (immunity to fear would come in handy).

Just looking for peoples favorite kensai weapon combos but I like katana longsword unless people have some reasons why thats a poor choice?