Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2001, 08:56 AM   #31
Azreall, Master of War
Dungeon Master

mhhh... this guy... John D Harris... He out-weirds us all.

Hey, think about this :

"Oh my God, My wife cheats on me with my BEST FRIEND ?!?!"

Thats just sick, dont you think ?
She must like it doggy-style... Woofwoof...
Old 03-29-2001, 12:06 PM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Time not of in this world. It is, was, and will be until stoped by the great DM in the sky.
Uh... say what? It's the fourth dimension. You may as well say that human thought is not of this world. Time exists John. You live in it. What mental process led you to that conclusion?

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 12:36 PM   #33
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

Time is perceived motion. It exists in theory only, pretty much the same as most people's mental processes.

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 06:29 PM   #34
Lord Shield

Time does not exist. Only decay and change. Everything is at one point but moving - entropy is its name.

Hail to chocolate

Old 03-29-2001, 08:51 PM   #35
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Ah, a worthy challenge, Yorick.
The original post was about fighters. I admit that the brute force of the fighter will not succeed without the finesse of the mage. The finesse of the mage will not succeed with out the brute force of the fighter. That's why there are groups made up different characters. All are nesceisary, mages, fighters, clerics and thieves on this the is no dipute.
Now, on to the fun stuff (life, the universe, everything)

Yorick, you disputed the logic, and did not resort to name calling or ineffective insults. That shows promise.

Time is the fouth dimension only if counted backwards.
To support this I offer the following, both major theories on how this world came into existence agree on this point. Time came first then matter.
1: Big bang It was 10 to the minus 43 of a second after the big bang before the laws of physics apply.10 to the minus 43 of a second no matter how small is still passage of time without matter.
2: Creation In the begining ( start of time) God created the heavens and the earth. Time came first then matter.
Now Yorick, hold on to your hat. Since time existed before matter, time does not need matter to exist. Matter must have time to exist. Without time there is no velocity, velocity is measured in distance per second per second. Second a term for a unit of time. without velocity there is no movement, no movement, all matter ceases to exist.(electrons orbit the nucleus of the atom, no movement, no orbit, no atom) Time is not of this world, this world is governed by time.

[This message has been edited by John D Harris (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 09:19 PM   #36
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Time to Die...
Old 03-29-2001, 09:23 PM   #37
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Yorick, you disputed the logic, and did not resort to name calling or ineffective insults. That shows promise.
OF COURSE MAN! what you thinking, huh?

Old 03-29-2001, 09:35 PM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Tam:
Time is perceived motion. It exists in theory only, pretty much the same as most people's mental processes.

Time exists whether we percieve it or not, or whether we develop an accurate theory about it or not. Existensialism is the seed of prejudice (I haven't seen it so it isn't so.) For a start a theory is unproven philisophical or physical assumptions as opposed to theorum. I think it is widely accepted as fact that one moment is followed by another - however minute - or thought/actions/movement/consequence would be impossible.

A correct term would be 'time is abstract' - not concrete, unnoticed by the senses. But absract does not mean unreal or seperate from the universe. We as humans cannot sense some high pitched frequencies or subsonic bass frequencies, so they exist as abstract to us, unless they affect our environment (dog responding, wall cracking etc) In which case the EFFECT becomes concrete (registered by the senses).

I can't believe I am having this conversation!

Old 03-29-2001, 10:01 PM   #39
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:

Time is the fouth dimension only if counted backwards.
To support this I offer the following, both major theories on how this world came into existence agree on this point. Time came first then matter.
1: Big bang It was 10 to the minus 43 of a second after the big bang before the laws of physics apply.10 to the minus 43 of a second no matter how small is still passage of time without matter.
2: Creation In the begining ( start of time) God created the heavens and the earth. Time came first then matter.
Now Yorick, hold on to your hat. Since time existed before matter, time does not need matter to exist. Matter must have time to exist. Without time there is no velocity, velocity is measured in distance pe second per second. Second a term for a unit of time. without velocity there is no movement, no movement, all matter ceases to exist.(electrons orbit the nucleus of the atom, no movement, no orbit, no atom) Time is not of this world, this world is governed by time.
John,

By 'of this world' I did not mean, created or resultant from the Earth, but rather an actuality, a reality, part of the world - my definition of the world being the limit of knowledge and awareness rather than a rock rotating a star.

Though it contains no physical substance, it's laws affect all substance. One action cannot follow another without it. To view time as having 'a beginning' is a contradiction. It needs a period (however small) before its existance to begin to establish the differention between time and no time. Thus, of course time existed before matter.

To limit reality to only matter is in my mind folly however. Space - nothing - emptiness. It has no matter, no substance, and no effect. Without it though, matter has nowhere to reside, nowhere to expand into, and importantly no way of percieving matter, no yardstick of comparison. 'Nothing' is a part of reality, a part of our 'world' part of existance. (Though not physically part of the Earth or even technically part of the Universe)

Time also should be percieved as such. Without it reality is impossible.

It seems perhaps we are disputing clarifications of perception. Rather than presenting wildly divergent theories. I made my statement about diamonds/granite because of the unquantified generalisation in your first post. "There's nothing in the world cold steel can't cut." was crying out for contradiction. It would not take long to establish something which it can't such as an emotion, fire, steam (may disperse it but won't cut it) physical matter harder than it, or something which affects its temperature enough to render it ineffective such as magma or molten larva which would heat 'cold steel' and absorb it into itself.

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-29-2001, 11:39 PM   #40
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Yorick,
My I present you with the "RAIPER OF TWAIN"
To Hit: +4
Damage: 1D8 +4
Damage Type: Slashing, Priercing
Wieght:5
Speed:2
Proficiency Type: Keen Intelect
Useable by: All 12th lvl. or higher 16 int. min. 17wis. min. U.S. citizen ,or familar with the American bastardized version of the English Language.

If you need a fighter to hold off the bad guys while you do hocus pocus thing give me a shout.