Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 06-14-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
Decurion
The Magister

I've played NWN a few times and I'm planning to get it/SoU at about the same time this summer. Now, if I'm not mistaken with each Level you gain you can put that level in a different class. A friend of mine and I were arguing about this. Is it more effective to consistently put these points in one class or should you spread them over a number of classes to accquire a wide variety of skills and bonuses. In short, which is generally stronger, a "purebred" single class character, or a "composite", polyclass character.

Thanks,
Decurion
Decurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:21 PM   #2
Decurion
The Magister

Oh, also, I'm thinking of importing my Monk from BG2 SoA. How would this affect gameplay (easier, harder, etc.) and which way of playing the game (new char or import) do you think is more enjoyable/interesting?

Decurion
Old 06-14-2003, 03:06 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

After BG2 came out, NWNs design became incompatable enough that importing a BG2 character would have let you keep the name and the portrait. So you cant import at all.

Back on topic, I always play pureclass characters. I dont think Ive ever dueled or created any multiclass ever. A multiclass spellcaster will never be able to compete with a pure spellcaster, but if the character was built and played right, could probably massacre a pure fighter. There is certainly power to be gained through multiclassing, but only if you get it right.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Certain penalties come when multi-classing. The instruction manual will spell what they are sepcifically. As the post above me stated...I also prefer purebred classes. If you do split the cost up when you level up...make sure you understand the penalties and problems as described in the manual.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:39 PM   #5
Decurion
The Magister

Uh-huh, thats basically what I thought.I prefer single class characters myself. Thanks a lot!

Decurion

[ 06-15-2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Decurion ]
Old 06-16-2003, 03:19 AM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

As Larry mentioned, be sure to read the chapter describing multiclass.

All classes will do well with a few levels of rouge

I like to play as much solo as possible in the game and that usually means that you will end up with two or three classes.

And so far, that has worked out fine.

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:25 PM   #7
Decurion
The Magister

If there is an xp cap remover and you remove the cap, cap you keep adding levels into different classes?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:15 AM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I havenīt tried it but it shouldnīt work since it is different from the 2:nd edition rules with multiclassing. You can only have 20 levels in NWN. Thus all the multiclassing levels add up. IE a character with that is 3 levels rogue and 2 levels fighter and 2 levels druid for instance is still treated as a 7th level character. He can only add 13 more levels total. He also have to balance his two last classes or he will have penalties (for a human) to his XP.

That is HOW it should be and work really, so what you would like to have is a level and XP cap remover, but then you are way out cheating and I havenīt heard anything about this being possible.

Hopefully however there will be a new expnsion later on that give people Epic levels since well.. it can be only soo much fun playing low level characters all the time if you play alot and have to make new characters all the time.

Would be nice if they could add the item creation feats for real too

So many things one want to have..

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 09:21 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

I'm playing through SP again with a half-orc barbarian/druid at the moment. I was looking for something a long the lines of a Shaman. Although, I've never played online, I imagine that this character would be a blast to play mutli with, as he's more designed for role playing than power gaming.

As others have said, you face the possibility of an XP penalty for multi classing certain combinations; the rule book is the best source of information for this.

I think single classes certainly have the potential to become more powerful because of the combined level cap, but playing an interesting combo could provide a different experience as well.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:27 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Composite is stronger for the official campaign. My favorite so far ended up 14Druid/4Thief human who used a double-bladed sword. I found having theif skills to most invaluable, as after chapter one I decide not to baby sit any of the henchmen.

In multi-play I usually stick to a pure class, in order to best fufil a specific role on the team. I am fond of dwarven fighters, 1/2 elf thieves or bards, and human mages.

[ 06-18-2003, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]