Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2002, 04:20 PM   #1
Skrewloose
Dungeon Master

(Although 'Uniting' kind of defeats the purpose of adventuring Solo!)

I thought we could share stories and tips here...

I'm running a Dracon Samaurai solo (2 swords... the only way to fly!). I'm only level 8 right now, and just tried to leave the monestary with disastrous results. I cleared everything in the monestary without much of a problem, but the 4 crusher crabs waiting right outside on the road had me for lunch.

One of my main problems is identifying potions, because I don't want to waste precious skill points into artifacts. But I blew two levels worth of them, and now I can at least ID and use light healing and light stamina.

I'm currently just letting combat skills go up on their own, and I'm putting all of my 'free' skill points into mage skills. Once I get enough spells to 'practice' with, I should be home free.

I know Elara is running a Fairy ninja (did you get the COC yet?), but does anyone else have any advice for trying this out?

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Skrewloose ]

Skrewloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 05:30 PM   #2
DraconisRex

I haven't soloed yet. Still have too much fun with combinations. But I think you mistake was leveling up too fast vis-a-vis increasing your combat skills. It could be that you character isn't a viable (solo) choice. Or you character has been developed incorrectly.

But I'm betting it's that you didn't hold off on your leveling. I think you should have been around level 5 or 6 with a ton of non-applied level up experience.

My .02$US.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 06:19 PM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

yah! DRex is right.

apply experience only to lvl 4, leaving the balance of exp points unassigned. that way the stuff you encounter on the arnika road will be manageable, allowing you challenge but not horrific as you make your way along the road... whether you go north or south...

i would advise going north first i think. it seems to be a tad easier if you are soloing. it sort of offers a buffer zone allowing you to continue your leveling, but preparing you for the main thrust of things back south (arnika and trynton).

oh yeah, once you get into the main "safe" area up north, go ahead and finish your levelling up. LOL.

and with my $.02 [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] , that is now a whopping $.04 [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] for ya!! lucky dog. don't spend it all in one place

V***V

PS: [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Hi Draconis!!
Old 01-06-2002, 10:55 PM   #4
Feanor
Dungeon Master

That's the mistake that i made running solo. (Rawulf Knight)
my character was working out pretty well for awhile with health regen, and good dodge but i leveled up too quick(went to lvl 8), and i got surrounded by 3 seemingly impossible enemy groups. i might go back and try again later though.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 07:10 AM   #5
spoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Solo Fairy ninja here [img]smile.gif[/img]

bwahahaha I havent even finished the game yet. It'll be -fun- playing parts that I havent before with only 1 character.

Very VERY fun to play. But one question to you other (non f/n) soloers out there... how do you cope with knowing the cane cant be yours ever? EVER!!! .

Seriously though I just nabbed it @ level 11 and boy does it rock (im a first timer for CoC). hehehe my last party was having a harder time than my Ninja is .

Oh and one thing I just HAVE to complain about - do you know whashisname that drops the CoC dosent do it every time? Its not very funny when you kill him @ level 11 (which was a fluke) and you find that it didnt drop- waaaaaah. I had to do it again (which meant about 10 more trys )

good luck to all you soloers [img]smile.gif[/img]

p.s I -wish- i'd known about the holding off leveling trick... outside of monastery @ level 9 was HELL
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 07:37 AM   #6
Soranor
Welcomed New User

Just for getting the CoC, i stole it from the Don. Before i learnt Pickpocket from 25 to 74 in the Tryton Potion Shop. I just stole everything he had ("Huh? I am sure I had at least some potions!")
Soranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 02:09 AM   #7
Tennessee Ernie Ford
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm attempting to run a solo gadgeteer.

It's probably foolhardy. So far ah'm a gettin' my rear whipped but good. Holding off at L4 is not an option, b/c there's about a zero chance of survival against, oh, say, Roaches.

I can't knock 'em off from afar (that gadgeteer weapon's only doing 1-4 pts per shot and only rarely blinding). And up-close they eat Alma Edison to pieces.

I'm considering re-starting as a ranger (initial boost to ranged attacks) or bard and then switching (sleep spell plus gadgets might not be bad).
<b>Tennessee Ernie Ford</b><p>TEF is the <i>nom de web </i> of the author of RPG guides, such as <br />[url]\"http://members.aol.com/tenernie\" target=\"_blank\">TEF\'s Guide to Enroth</a>. <br />No relationship is intended or claimed to the fantabulous gospel singer of the same name.
Tennessee Ernie Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 02:26 AM   #8
*C*
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just hack your solo character a little if it's too hard. Give him/her like 30+ stat points. It seems fair to me. The character screen warns you that the game was made for 6-8 party members.
[img]graemlins/dancing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dancing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dancing.gif[/img]
*C* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 10:54 AM   #9
Marukusu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Right now, I'm running a faerie ninja imported from wiz7. Although I didn't get my original CoC back ( ), it's still rather nice to start level 1 with 20 in almost all combat skills. The problem is that I started at the monastery... should've done it with the umpani. Even at easy, I constantly keep meeting lvl 8 metallic slimes, which are quite hard to beat with only one character, even if the level is even. Maybe I should run back to the lower monastery...
Ehh, my ninja has 3500 kills or so, but he's getting nabbed upstairs
I should've practiced water magic more.
A question. If I started at the umpani camp, would I get xp for completing training? Or would I get some only after the first mission? I can't really remember [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 12:25 PM   #10
Elara
The Magister

I have the latest patch installed and pickpocketing is a whole new ballgame. No endless runs of stuff off the npcs. The Cane of Corpus remains a myth so far for my faerie ninja I'm afraid. But truthfully, am not sure it's necessary anyway because she is mighty powerful without it, plus I like using a bow (ask anyone whoever posted with me on the old MM6 board, taking on Darkmoor Castle armed only with bows at level 33 and no magic. *Eyes, eyes everywhere, aieeeeee!*)

Long range spells are vital, bow notwithstanding. Just got into the Mountain Wilderness because I heard (from my brother) that Bela might sell me a Strong Bow. Puffed up with a false sense of invulnerability, 4 Bitter-something flying snakes quickly wiped me off the map because I tried close combat using dual wielded nunchuckas without casting the duration spells. (All right, I spose the CofC would have been handy here. ) My supply of single round damage spells is poor at this point (level 23).