Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 11-19-2001, 08:55 AM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Do players really want all of these:
".
."s before a "spoiler" ??

I'm not real hot on this myself. I find them annoying. My own reasoning is that players are here looking for help. If they don't want to run into an absolute solution/answer for their particular problem then the best choice is to pose their question in a new thread.
Posters also seem to have some difficulty identifying what is a "real" spoiler and what is just a comment or tip about a particular puzzle or area. So you end up with a lot of spacers on things that aren't spoilers at all.
Personally, I would like to see the "spoiler spaces" disappear.

What do other posters think about this?

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 07:05 PM   #2
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I agree with you Wyv. I find them extremely annoying also. You're right, then there's that fine line whether what you have to say is really a spoiler. You're right. People are here, looking for answers.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:58 PM   #3
Ravashack
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Eh, it all depends.

But I have a feeling that was towards me as well, so I'll edit that off another post.
Ravashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 09:59 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Actually (blushes) that's my fault, Wyvern.

I wanted to make sure no one was spoiled from the game, so I was using Ziroc's recommendation on the FAQ's on leaving the spoiler space. However, if it's annoying, we can do away with it. I would ask, though, that "SPOILER" be placed in the title of the thread if it's going to contain potential spoilers.

Other than that, keep those wonderful posts flowing, and above all, have fun!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 10:14 PM   #5
Moni

Personally, I like the space.

We are all new to the game and few of us have any answers.

If questions for help were posted as threads for specific areas or problems in the title, then people like me who want few hints but not outright spoilers can avoid having the answers given to us unless we look for them.

Just my two cents...hope that does not mean that the spaces are for sure a thing of the past now LOL. I have a hard time resisting the urge to look as it is.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:32 AM   #6
Pangur Ban

I saw on another forum ( I've forgotton which one ) many moons ago - where spoilers were put in the same font colour as the background.

A spoiler looked like this ...

---------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:

---------------------------------------------------

( What it looked like, no hidden message in the above ... )

The only way you could read the spoiler was to 'select' the area between the lines , thus changing the text to a contrast colour.

If you didn't want to see the spoiler, you could just scroll past it without it being visible ...

Would this work on Ironworks? What do other people think of this ?

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Pangur Ban ]

Old 11-20-2001, 01:44 AM   #7
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Wyv, everyone,

I could see both sides of the coin here. Personally, I like the idea of having the space at the top. Its something I've seen done a lot and I know it can be a little bit annoying, but it also can help protect the interests of beginning players.

I really liked this on the WW board, since I was 100% determined to solve the game without and hints or help. Honestly, I looked at *one* post about the serpent temple and then did the rest entirely on my own. I was proud of that, and I think a lot of other players like to go through games on their own. But, many players like to share ideas and such (hey, that's why this forum is here!), so I think we should ask everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, I think it can be done either way, as long as something is said in the title. I also thought the space was needed in case the post is opened on accident, so you have to scroll down to the see the information.

I do feel its fine this way, but I think we should ask a consensus of all of the regular posters here. Saz, why don't we have a poll before we do away with this? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best,

Scronan
Old 11-20-2001, 10:14 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I'm just looking for a general opinion on the subject. To me they are an annoyance but to others they may be a terrific and welcomed thing so this thread is an opportunity for those favoring the "spoiler spaces" to tell us why and for those of us who don't like them to share our reasons and see where we end up after the comments are in.

If most posters really prefer the spoiler spaces, I would want to respect that and include them in my own posts. If the majority don't care for them, then we can leave them out.

Ravashack - my comments weren't directed at any one specifically - I'm just trying to learn how posters feel about the spoiler spaces!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 12:21 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

If it is an annoyance, we'd be best getting rid of them. Above all else, I want Wizardry 8 to be a board where people feel comfortable about posting, and certainly no excessive rules. [img]smile.gif[/img] Again, I just ask that if something has a potential spoiler in it, just place "SPOILER ALERT" in the title of the post.

Thanks,
-Saz
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 12:44 PM   #10
tabbikaat
Dungeon Master

Hi Everyone!

Great to see everyone here from the Wizards and Warriors forum!

My two cents on "spoilers".......

I find the spoiler scrolling a nuisance, but whatever. Personally don't see how knowing in advance where to find a key for a locked door can "spoil" a game for someone....but I guess it does for some people.

I will look for all the hints I can find when playing and will try my own combination of suggestions and/or strategy. It's great when people will put the subject in the title with *spoiler* there, too. Then maybe people who don't need ANY help like the rest of us wimps will not read the post?

Btw, this game is AWEsome! (did I mention amazing?) The gameplay and design is EXCELLENT-similiar to CDS only better being that it's up-to-date with 21st C. technology. And, woohoo! it's hard! )) The monsters are smart! ............

*sigh* ......if only this darn job didn't cut into my day so.....

p.s. what ever happened to RUDEDAWG?? really enjoyed reading about his adventures....
tabbikaat is offline   Reply With Quote