Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-23-2001, 04:14 PM   #11
Aellinsar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What do you guys think the best longsword is? My character has two-weapon style, with longsword as a proficiency. I'm currently wielding the Equalizer, but I need one for the other hand. What do you guys think is the best?

------------------
On the heights, all paths are paved with daggers.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:20 PM   #12
bygones01
Dungeon Master

how's come nobody likes the warhammer crom fayer? it's a +5 and gives you a 25 str...... and it has a speed factor of 1. that's easily the best item in the game.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:59 PM   #13
deathknight
Drow Warrior

crom faeyr is nice but I would not say it is easily the best item in the game. It IS a real nice weapon but its real expensive to make it. My current party has minsc,keldorn,anomen and my kensai/mage. Thats alot of melee combat and I think I may not make the crom faeyr so I can use its individual pieces (keldorn's 17 strength bites and having the girdle and the gauntlets seperate lets me beef up more of my warriors).

Plus the crom faeyr's only real useful special is the strength bonus IMHO. staff of magi just has so many specials! spell trap and invisibility are real nice. the dispell effect is nice to have as well.

favorite items right now though are celestial fury and ring of gaxx. man 3 improved hastes a day is soo nice plus the other features of the ring are OUTSTANDING. my kensai/mage gets 6 attacks per round right now(with the ring activated of course!) and he is really starting to come into his own with celestial fury and daystar (in chapter 2 currently). That stun ability is way better than a large strength bonus from crom faeyr IMHO.

I really am starting to appreciate all special abilities in weapons as opposed to looking for best dmg. its suprising were you find nice items. there are actually some good daggers out there! hehe

[This message has been edited by deathknight (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old 07-23-2001, 05:31 PM   #14
Seid
Manshoon

Best 3 items:

Staffof the Magi
Silver Vorpal Sword
Gorgon plate mail

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:50 PM   #15
deathknight
Drow Warrior

I would say favorites right now are shield of harmony,clock of mirrors,ring of gaxx,celestial furry and robe of vecna. Each of them make whomever is using those items noticably more powerful. Also each of them hsa some ability aside from just making your ac better or do a high dmg. To me the items that provide immunity to stuff, or special abilities that are not found on other items are the best items around (not to take anything away from crom faeyr or any of the other big melee weapons but they are more 1 dimensional types of items). Oh yeah staff of magi falls into the category as well. Something for every occasion it seems with that item hehe.

[This message has been edited by deathknight (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old 07-24-2001, 08:00 PM   #16
oldbittercraig
Elminster

I like the Vorpal myself... it's tough to earn, but certainly worth it.

Robe of the Evil ArchMagi is pretty cool for a Kensai-Mage- it helps you reduce the AC considerably.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:24 PM   #17
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

From a Thief's point of view there are some truly great items. Pity they turn up later in the game.
- Boomerang dagger is easyish to get, and she packs a wallop!

- The Cloak of Stars gives you a handful of plus 5 darts everyday. Not a fantastic weapon, but in the hands of a trained assassin, thats a delivery system for poison to 5 enemies in less than 2 rounds. If your mage can Breach the combat defenses, NO MORE SPELLS will ever be cast your way!
Free to boot. Or you can sell the darts and buy/steal them back

- Elven Boots give unbelievable stealth, and can allow for 2 swipes at a backstab!
Old 07-24-2001, 08:31 PM   #18
trux

My best/favorite weapons would have to be: Blackrazor, Celestial Fury, Staff of the Magi, Holy Avenger, Crom Faeyr and Flail of the Ages.

Armor: Robe of Vecna, Red Dragon Scale (for one particular reason which has been fixed in ToB - drats!) and Gorgon Plate.

Cloaks, rings, misc.: Cloak of Balduran, Helm of Balduran, Ring of Gaxx, Harper Pin, Sensate Amulet, Amulet of Power, Boots of Speed.

These are my favorite items, which just happen to be some of the most powerful in the game. Each one of these usually always ends up on someone in my party.

------------------
trux
Old 07-24-2001, 08:33 PM   #19
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I of course will go for Staff of the magi, the Vecna mage robe , amulet of power, cloak of nondetection and the 2 mage rings. My perfect outfit for a sorcerer everything else can just go to hell.

Melee wise I suppose Blade of the Roses, I know hardly the best but very dependable early on.

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 03:31 PM   #20
oldbittercraig
Elminster

Robin- I like the boomerang dagger, but the Fire Tooth +3 is even more effective, and it still comes back to you. I have Imoen sitting in the back row, alternating with Fire Tooth and magic missile to disrupt enemy casters long enough for one of my bricks to get in close and finish the job.

ANY "Unlimited Use" ranged weapon (I'm including the bow that creates it own arrows- don't have it yet) is priceless.