Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Epona
Zartan

I've just recently discovered the joys of making your own custom items using the toolset.

Now I have a bit of a problem - I always get carried away and go over the top. I add attack bonuses, damage, spells etc like there is no tomorrow, I just can't stop myself once I've started. [img]redface.gif[/img]

The main reason I got into it in the first place was because I was really disappointed when I discovered in HoTU that I couldn't upgrade my monk's gloves at the forge, so I thought I'd make my own. Not only that, but because I didn't have the martial weapons feat, I couldn't even upgrade weapons for my henchmen, because you have to equip them to upgrade them

Anyway, that's my excuse.

What I ended up with was a totally over-powered pair of gloves for my monk, I think they are fantastic, but if I used them to play online it wouldn't go down too well. It's not helped by the fact that they cast chain lightning on hit, so I can end up totally frying a fairly large group of enemies (along with any nearby containers, levers, and doors [img]redface.gif[/img] ) in one or two punches. Great if you want to steam through an area in record time, but it's not balanced gameplay for sure. I also managed to flog a spare pair I just happened to have lying around [img]redface.gif[/img] for nearly 2 million gold [img]redface.gif[/img]

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for balanced item creation, especially weapons - what sort of attack bonus, damage, spells etc would be considered suitable for various character levels. I don't understand the whole 'item level' business that I've heard mentioned, so if someone could explain that too I'd be grateful.

It's my own fault for being a bit of a 'kid in a candy store' when I realised just how easy it was to create my own custom items! [img]redface.gif[/img] Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Every effect adds a gp value to the item. The more effects, the higher the cost. The cost, in the end, determines the level the character must be to use the item.
Now then.

Why don't you try, I don't know, not having an item cast an uber spell on hit? That would be a start. I don't mean to patronize you... I'm just saying it's a bit extreme.

Something healthy to start with is an enhancement bonus. How powerful do you want the item to be? Will it be used against a specific type of enemy?

Another goodie is a damage bonus. Play around and see what you like.

Jewelry is easier. Think of something you want it to do and go for it. Start out simple at first.
And nobody said you can't make uber items... I, myself, have made two Rings of Elemental Superiority. They're powerful, but they have drawbacks, which I use to justify their use. Have a look...

Rings of Elemental Superiority are worn by the worshippers of the four elemental deities of Faerun. Rings of Fire Superiority are worn by followers of Kossuth. They are powerful, bordering on the power of lesser artifacts, but not all of this power benefits its user. When slipped on, the wearer undergoes a minor transformation, becoming more like a denizen of the Plane of Fire: Quick, but frail. Immune to fire, but vulnerable to other elements, particularly the cold. More resistant to physical damage, especially from elementals... But is it worth the cost? Its downfalls may well outnumber the benefits, and one should think carefully before donning such an item.

Ability Bonus: Dexterity +3
AC Bonus +3
AC Bonus vs. Racial Group: Elemental +5
Damage Vulnerability: Acid 25% Damage Vulnerability
Damage Vulnerability: Cold 100% Damage Vulnerability
Damage Vulnerability: Electrical 25% Damage Vulnerability
Decreased Ability Score: Constitution -3
Decreased Saving Throws: Acid -3
Decreased Saving Throws: Cold -5
Decreased Saving Throws: Electrical -3
Immunity: Damage Type: Fire 100% Immunity Bonus
Immunity: Specific Spell Fire Storm
Immunity: Specific Spell Flame Strike

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:46 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

The toolset gives a fair idea (though not always perfect) of the appropriate level for a particular item.

Under the general tab in an item's properties is a line for 'required level', its right under 'required lore' and right above 'category'. This gives a ball-park figure on what level character would typically use such an item.

Also consider that things like the new on-hit property that fire pretty spells everytime you make or take a hit can cause severe server lag in the course of a battle. A chainlightning or missle storm spell going off 6 times a round can bring aserver to a crawl just by one character having such items, much less a whole party or a bunch of monsters with such items. Use the on-hit property with great care and consideration, particularly with some of the flashy graphic intensive spells.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:59 AM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
If you must do extra damage with each hit, pick Damage Bonus: Electrical and pick a number... As a rule and just using common sense, gloves shouldn't damage people not being actually hit by them.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:29 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Cheers for the help, as I said I would not use anything like that to play online, I'd consider it cheating. Single player on my own PC though - I can use that to think up some weird and wonderful stuff

I will use those tips to make some suitable gloves for use online though, I found the gloves available in the OC and SoU/HoTU to be quite boring - loads of weapon options for other classes, but just the standard ones for us monks (I think having a monk use a kama or staff is a bit of a waste).

Although having said that I did find a nice pair of gloves in HoTU last night when I accidentally killed someone who surrendered just as they were falling to the floor.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
ScottG
Drow Warrior

I actually tried to get help from others on forming a basic rule set - but only 2 people would even respond..so I deleted the post.

Because of the systematic pig-headishness in relying on the gp vs. level, I'd say just adhere to that rule. Furthermore there is NO REASON to place in detriments to the item because they don't decrease the gp vs. level like they should.

So I guess ultimatly stick in whatever you want just as long as it doesn't exceed your character level, (and yes I know its still absurd for epic levels).

Chain lightning? dump that spell mister and put in 1 level of harm instead - then you'll see what real power gaming is.

btw, remember you can have multiple pairs of gloves - heck, you could even have a pair of gloves for each racial group with the slay-racial group funcion (and it isn't graphically intensive on a server).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:25 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Most servers worth even playing in will strip OnHitCastSpell propeties. I would avoid any exploitive properties also such as "Harm" as they really do ruin the fun for you co-gamers.

[ 02-11-2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 02-11-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
is NO REASON to place in detriments to the item because they don't decrease the gp vs. level like they should.
Game balance. Guilt. Playing in character. Three very valid reasons.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Personally I try to restrain myself from creating single equipment in the Toolset. 'Power to the People' isn't always a good thing. If I were to use it to create custom equipment, they would only see a use in a module I've created myself and fitted into it regarding game balance etc.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
ScottG
Drow Warrior

"Game balance. Guilt. Playing in character. Three very valid reasons."

Not as far as a ruleset is concerned, what your refering to are subjective assesments. What is balanced, guilt causing, or playing in character is really up to each individual person - which isn't something that is readily quantifiable (I know, I've tried). Whats OK to you might not be OK to someone else - just look at the responses so far.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote