Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-05-2000, 06:16 AM   #1
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Ok, got some questions for you...

About Dual Class. I can't really get the hang of this. You need to get a higher level in the new class than in the old to use the abilities of the old class. What abilities is this? Is it just Stealth, Find traps etc (if you were a thief) or is it special abilities too (like Kai shot if you dualed from a Kensai) or even old profiencies, like if the Kensai had 4+ on flails, will the dualed char get back those when he gets to a higher level than the Kensai was?

(Hope I'm not too confusing)

Also, I messed up my troupe good yesterday when I decided to dual my assassin who was at lvl 13, which would mean I needed to get to lvl 14 in my new class, fighter, to use the assassinpart (no other thief in the group, took Nalias keep with a gazillion of Knocks from Edwin, heh (yes I know I could have picked up Nalia instead)). Obviously this was a bad move I suppose since I wont be lvl 14 warrior until like in the end of the game, so I wonder what IS a wise move with Dual Class? Do you usually Dual right at the beginning, ie picking a Swashbuckler and Dualling him right away to get a fighter with thievery? What is the difference in the end between just multiclassing and dualing? I'm a little lost here and though I try to find out, it takes some time to level up the chars just to experiment.

My, this turned out to be a confusing post. Oh well. Please give me your opinions about Dual Class.
Old 12-05-2000, 06:30 AM   #2
Armisael

It's everything. Proficiencies, abilities, skills. All you carry through are the bonuses from your stats.
I dualled at level twelve from a fighter to a mage. I'd planned ahead and collected all the scrolls I could. After memorizing them all, I had about five hundred thousand or so EP. Korgan filled in for me through the time it took me to get to level thirteen, during which time I was basically using weak attack spells and disabling / party boosting. Bear in mind that with all the EP you get through BG2, you could reach the level cap twice or so. Dual classing is very useful.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:17 AM   #3
Merc Widowmaker

Only hemens can duel class and only non-humens or demi-humens (Elves, 1/2 elves, dwarfs, gnomes, 1/2 orcs etc) can be multiclass. In duel class you are changing profession, and can only use your origonal profession once you have achieved a level in your second profession that is more then youre first. In multiclass you have more then one profesion at the same time. Experiance points are split equelly between the profesion, so you go up in levels slower the single classed characters.
In both duel and multiclass, restrictions of the class still aplies. Eg: a fighter/cleric cannot use a blade, a fighter mage cannot cast spels while wearing armour etc.
NOTE: There are sevral exeption to this rule. I cannot write all the rules for AD&D here so I'll just note a few. A fighter/mage CAN use a fighters weapons and still cast spells. A fighter/thief CAN use a fighters weapons and still use his thieving abilities. A Ranger/Cleric gets spell that a druid can use (clerics can't cast all the priest spells (druid spells))
I deuled from a Kensai to a mage at level 9 so that I could reach lvl 17 (xp max). I also horded scrolles for the xp and also so my mage would have a lot of spells to choose from. Deuling at level 9 also meant that I didn't need a huge amount of experiance points to reach a level hiegher then my first. I managed to acieve 10th level as a mage before I'd finnished chapter 3!