Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-16-2003, 05:57 AM   #1
Ivellios Siannodel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you think about it, the Monk is a better Wizard Slayer than a Wizard Slayer. They get a higher overall magic resistance AND they can use various magical items prohibated by the Wizard Slayer Kit. And the Quivering Palm unlike a magic sword, can overcome spell protections. So why Wizard Slayer when u can Monk your way to the top!
Old 01-16-2003, 06:12 AM   #2
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

The monk is overpowered and broken. This is true for PnP 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons too.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:10 AM   #3
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivellios Siannodel:
If you think about it, the Monk is a better Wizard Slayer than a Wizard Slayer.
I wouldn't say that. They are about equally good against spellcasters.

With ToB, the Wizard Slayer will have more Magic Resistance.

The Wizard Slayer can use the various anti-mage items throughout the game - namely, the Flail of Ages.

The Wizard Slayer will have more hit points - which will help him survive the heavy damaging spells that will be ablt to slip through his MR.

Finnaly, the Wizard Slayer's attacks cause spell disruption (although its effectiveness is somewhat dubious).

And let's not forget the ever-cheesy Wizard Slayer/Thief... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
And the Quivering Palm unlike a magic sword, can overcome spell protections.
Spell protections have no effect whatsoever on physical attack.

Combat protections, however, will deal with Quivering Palm and item effects (eg. Ages' Slow, Fury's Stun and Silver's Vorpal) in the exact same way. Both will cut right through Stoneskin, but will also be blocked by Pro-Magic-Weapons.

Don't get me wrong - i do agree that the Monk is a much more powerful class - but not versus spellcasters.
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #4
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Does the Wizard Slayer's 10% Spell disruption cut through Prot from Magic weapons, or in any other case where the slayer can't connect with his hits?
Old 01-16-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
xanderwatts
The Magister

But...No Ring of Gaxx, no Boots of Speed on your main fighter!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I have not tried against Weapon Immunity Spells, but I ensure you, Stoneskin or no Stoneskin, a hit means +10% spell failure. You ain't seen comedy yet till you have seen Jon Irenicus himself, have spell failure constantly even when nobody is whacking him.

Greater Whirlwind will literally make enemy Mages into... well... meatbags for your party to fisticuff into submission. I do wonder how long the effects last though, for each hit.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Well personally, I think the by far biggest problem with mages for fighters is Mantle-like spells, especially when you're dealing with Liches. Stoneskin can always be pierced with elemental dmg weapons, but unless you got a crappy unenchanted weapon lying around (and not even that will work against Liches) - which means the enemy will still have several rounds of uninterrupted spell casting due to stoneskins and contingencies - you're utterly out of options as a pure fighter when the mage keeps casting Prot from Magic Weapons. Not even Inquisitors can deal with them painlessly since high-level mages like to cast Immunity to abjuration.

The thing is that mages are minced meat vs any fighter whose hits actually connect, so the Wizard Slayer wouldn't really have an edge here.

But, if the 10% Spell disruption thing stands out as the one Affect-on-hit that pierces every single god damned protection a mage can think of, then I'd gladly consider him the best anti-mage fighter in the game.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:22 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by xanderwatts:
But...No Ring of Gaxx, no Boots of Speed on your main fighter!
Wiz Slayers can't wear Rings (or Amulets, or Gauntlets, or Cloaks, or Belts), but they CAN wear Boots.