Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-11-2001, 02:45 AM   #1
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

I'm thinking of starting a new game with a magician. Only its really confusing...I want to know which ones are fun to play between a pure mage, sorcerer and dual class. Also I don't understand the difference between what a mage is and what a sorceress is. My other question is if a dual classed mage fighter will ever be as powerful of a magic user as a pure mage. Your responses would be very helpful..............Thanx
Old 07-11-2001, 02:52 AM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

First off, a Sorcerer never has to prepare spells. But only 6 spells for each level of spells. This means if you use 1 level 1 spell, then you have 5 left to choose from that remain in the level 1 category. A pure Mage (not specialized) is the best magic user in the game. Learns every spell there is, and can apply them if he prepares them beforhand. A dual-classed Mage depends on the Mage level to determine power. If you got the Mage level high enough that they know all the level 9 spells their gonna know, then yes, dual to a fighter or thief. It will only make you stronger
Old 07-11-2001, 02:56 AM   #3
Nanobyte

I would advise a Mage in the beginning, and if you really want to make the game fun, make it a specialized Mage. A Sorcerer is too powerful in the beginning and too weak later in the game. A Mage only becomes stronger as (s)he and the game progresses.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:09 AM   #4
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

how do I make some a full mage and second fighter? is there a special procedure?
Old 07-11-2001, 03:12 AM   #5
Nanobyte

I'm assuming you mean dual-class? Your Mage has to meet the requirements of the Fighter. Your character has to be a Human also. Then, when you're ready, just click on Dual-class, and follow the simple procedure. It's a lot like making another character, except you don't do stats, appearance, name, ect.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:44 AM   #6
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

so let me get this staight, I make my character as a mage (with stats that are allowed for a fighter, get him up to whatever mage level I want him to me and then dual class him into a fighter? will he earn any more points as wxperience goes up on his magic...will it still get more powerful?
Old 07-11-2001, 04:02 AM   #7
Nanobyte

Your level in Magery is over once you dual-class. Also, you cannot use any of your Mage abilities until you surpass the level of which your Mage was before you dual-classed.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:37 PM   #8
Alaric
Manshoon

If you want to have a dual-class fighter/mage, I would have your character start out as a fighter with a 17 or higher in intelligence. Why? (1) A fighter gains more hit points per level then a mage, (2) a figher has more weapons that he can be proficient in and can gain a higher level of specilization, (3)if you start as a mage then change to a figher, your magical power will be limited because once you switched over to a figher you would no longer be able to gain new spell levels - you can no longer go up in level as a mage, and (4) in order to use the abilites of the class that you started out as, you need to have a higher level in the second class than the first class. So if you start out as a mage and switch to a figher, then, you would not be able to cast spells until your level as a figher was greater than your level as mage.
------------------
All the world is a stage and we are all actors playing our parts.

[This message has been edited by Alaric (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old 07-12-2001, 12:01 AM   #9
Fallen Angel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorcerers all the way baby. You dont have to wander around looking for scrolls and unlike what other people have said you can have more than 6 casting per level all you have to do is remove the xp cap. They make great spell casters and even after thexp cap is lifted there are items such as the reing of acuity that add extra spell castings to the levels (ring of wizardry also does this)

------------------

Quote:
Grieve for the soul in Death Dishonored

[This message has been edited by Fallen Angel (edited 07-12-2001).]
Old 07-12-2001, 03:02 AM   #10
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I'd love Sorcs, but their inability to memorise spells both for repeated use and for experience is a pity. You can only know so much when it comes to spells, and later in the game they dont have as many spells as mages do at their disposal.
And for dual-classing, assuming you remove the EXP cap, what you can do is first create a fighter with 18 in intelligence and at least 17 in Strength and Constituition. Then play with him, and level him up till the benefits you're reaping begin to slow down (diminishing returns)
Then dual-class him to a mage. He'll start again as a mage at lvl 1, except with the hitpoints you gained as a fighter. That makes him tougher and more able to withstand punishment.
You'll continue the game as a pure mage, until you surpass the level you held as a fighter. When that happens, you REGAIN your fighter abilities, like your THAC0 and your Proficiencies and all, but continue to progress as a pure mage. In essence, its giving a mage pre-stored fighter abilities to make him even tougher.

------------------
Why?