Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 03-18-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
TL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Finished Wryms tooth and it wasn't too tough but I'm looking at LDD and my opinion of it is very different! Does anyone want to post their sequence of movements through LDD? I would appreciate some suggestions on how you battled your way through such a large & dangerous area! Thanks...
TL
TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Some minor spoilers. It has been awhile but this is the way I did it.

1. Clear out the large entrance area first and take your time. Draw enemies out slowly (Fire Salamanders, and really tough sentries), protect yourself from fire, and buff for the sentries. North of the map prepare for backstabbing thieves unless you answer the questions correctly.

2. Buff and cast protection from arrows on everyone as the guys in the tower are deadly enter the tower and take out the archers. The top of the tower has a safe area for resting. (You can even do this before clearing out all the main area as having a safe place to rest is not a bad idea.)

3. Now I would do one of two things, head west to the well, or enter the area were you were jumped by thieves (statue that 2 gnomes are working on). If you head west the area if fairly easy just some enlarged bugs and a hoard of umber hulks to deal with. Talk to everyone important, buy items from Nym, and you can kill him after you are done with him. Currently you can make a trip to the severed hand to bring some items to one of the towers for some easy experience (assuming items were purchased from Nym).

4. Go to center castle were two gnomes are working on statue. Go to most western exit I think but it could be the other one. Anyway it is the one that takes you to the kitchen. The reason why you could do this one before the well is to grab an item from the kitchen. Anyway clear out this area. You should have a badge after finishing this area, includes upstairs.

5. Next clear out the area that you enter from the North east of the main entrance map. Lots of Fire Salamanders, wipe them out all of them. Enter the next area from the upper right, the one with all the elementals. Wipe out the elementals but don't head to the bottom yet. Head through the door that leads to the area with the undead, wipe every thing out and get another badge.

6. Now either head through the door you came though and finish off this area, or head to the area with the blind minatours and umber hulks (entrance to North West of main map). Both the final battles in these areas are toughies. Lets say you cleared out the rest of the Fire Giants map you have a badge, you killed a key NPC(Will not really as she is only severely injured ends up having twins, and committing suicide) .

7. Clear out area with Umber Hulks and Blind Minatours, head to building to get final badge.

8. Finish of all remaining quest head back to the area were the undead were to exit and move one step towards the final conflict in the game.

Hope this makes sense but if not that is OK. Oh and rest and save often.

[ 03-19-2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Just a tiny thing... for the tower in the main area I found the simple "horror" spell to be very effective.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
TL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks! I went in & cleared out the main level, except for the tower. I killed seth and all thieves, and went downstairs & spoke with tarnelm. I was thinking of going upstairs to get into the castle (makreths Palace) for the food he wants, but I am close to the place to kill the beetles and umber hulks. What to do , what to do! I'll memorize horror right now!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
TL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Right now I'm chasing maiden Ilmadia around( or is she chasing me)and this is the worst area so far. Did the Palace, no sweat,the tower was fun, I actually put a resist fire spell on everyone, threw a fireball and it was over in a second!Took out the beetles & umber hulks, went to see nym, The only thing that I did wrong was accidently kill Guello in the mines instead of saving him. I'll miss the exp, but at this point, everyone is level 13 & 14 and I think we can handle it.Now the giants that are with Ilmadia, by the time I found her, my protection was gone and they turned hostile, and, well, it got ugly , real fast. I'm going back in but I still don't have a plan yet. This may take some time.
so, where is everybody? We took a member count in Dec and things looked good, but boy, this board is dead! is everybody out there playing BG, Shadow of Amn or maybe , Diabalo?
Old 03-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I jus started a new game in iwd and just finished the hand
Old 03-20-2004, 01:38 PM   #7
TL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I've gone after this maiden 3 times and I'm getting my ass kicked! I'll probably still be there when you get to LDD, so ... come on along, I'm waiting for you!
Old 03-20-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

For maiden I:

Have your party wait at the entrance and cast many webs/entangles in front of you... have someone hasted and free actioned and let him go trigger the dialogue and then run back to the rest of the party... then cast some cloudkills over the webs so the enemies get stuck in it as they come after you... get summons and standard buffs and kill those that eventually reach you.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #9
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Before, i used a thief to sneak around and lure the giants 1 at a time back to the rest of my party wit buffs and summons.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #10
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

With the maiden I would approach her from the top. This leaves you lots of room to retreat as well as creates a chock point at the bridges were you can slow the fire giants down with summons and your fighters while casting mass damage spells at them. The fire giants are huge so at the bridges you only need to deal with one or two at a time. After the fire giants are taken out the maiden will still be tough but you will manage.

[ 03-22-2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote