Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 12-02-2006, 03:32 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

It's a bit of an open secret that there is a possibility of turning Khelgar into a monk (you find this out in your first convo with him, so it's not a major spoiler). The thing is, he also has a quest to get a really cool magic item (or set of items). He gets this set of items at around about the time that he can be turned into a monk. More spoilers on this below:

So in Act 3, Khelgar can put together the Belt, Gloves and Hammer of Ironfist to become a pretty awesome tank. I had him wielding the Hammer and with a decent suit of armour and a good shield he was AC35 or something (by level 16).

Now if you turn him into a monk, he goes back to level 1 and you can "build" him to what you want. Level 16 monks are pretty good, since he keeps all the points you initially put into his STR. But will he end up being a better monk than a fighter? He does pretty good damage with the Hammer, will he do better with his fists? I was struggling to get his AC above 30 even with the items I found, and I'm reluctant to just waste the Hammer. It's pretty stupid to pick him as the choice and have to give up this item that you worked so hard for.

What did you guys do? Keep him as a fighter or turn him into a monk? And if you turned him into a monk, how did you build him and what did you equip him with?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
It's a bit of an open secret that there is a possibility of turning Khelgar into a monk (you find this out in your first convo with him, so it's not a major spoiler). The thing is, he also has a quest to get a really cool magic item (or set of items). He gets this set of items at around about the time that he can be turned into a monk. More spoilers on this below:

So in Act 3, Khelgar can put together the Belt, Gloves and Hammer of Ironfist to become a pretty awesome tank. I had him wielding the Hammer and with a decent suit of armour and a good shield he was AC35 or something (by level 16).

Now if you turn him into a monk, he goes back to level 1 and you can "build" him to what you want. Level 16 monks are pretty good, since he keeps all the points you initially put into his STR. But will he end up being a better monk than a fighter? He does pretty good damage with the Hammer, will he do better with his fists? I was struggling to get his AC above 30 even with the items I found, and I'm reluctant to just waste the Hammer. It's pretty stupid to pick him as the choice and have to give up this item that you worked so hard for.

What did you guys do? Keep him as a fighter or turn him into a monk? And if you turned him into a monk, how did you build him and what did you equip him with?
The first time through I am played as a paladin so I left him as a fighter, and specialized him in warhammer to take advantage of the Hammer of Thunderbolt item set. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Second time through I am going to play as a dwarven fighter myself, so I am going to use those items and convert him into a monk. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I just tried rebuilding him again and I just don't have the monk items to improve his Wis and Dex (I can't remember where the Sun Soul items are and I foolishly don't have anyone who can craft Wondrous Items). Plus I just feel the Ironfist items not being used are a huge waste.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
I just tried rebuilding him again and I just don't have the monk items to improve his Wis and Dex (I can't remember where the Sun Soul items are and I foolishly don't have anyone who can craft Wondrous Items). Plus I just feel the Ironfist items not being used are a huge waste.
I think the special merchant in Blacklake, Daenna Laeyeth (SP) has some of the Sun SOul items. Not sure though.

I agree about the Ironfist items. THe only thing about them is that as SET they might have gotten some special properties when you had all three! I don't think they do. Like Nasher's items in NWN1. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Speaking of Nasher's items (sorry for sidetracking this Memnoch) has anyone found all FOUR of the items in his set?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 12-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I turned him into a monk and watched him become a slaughterfest. The monkdamage from fists is not to be underestimated! Be sure to boost him with monk-specialty items. One fault is that his WIS is really low. But there's a nice druid spell that fixes that, the lvl 5 or 6 spell that gives a WIS boost of 1/2 caster level.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
quote:
I think the special merchant in Blacklake, Daenna Laeyeth (SP) has some of the Sun SOul items. Not sure though.

I agree about the Ironfist items. THe only thing about them is that as SET they might have gotten some special properties when you had all three! I don't think they do. Like Nasher's items in NWN1. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Speaking of Nasher's items (sorry for sidetracking this Memnoch) has anyone found all FOUR of the items in his set?
[/QUOTE]Nah, I only found the first (Ring). As for Blacklake, don't have access anymore in Act3. Bugger.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Nah, I only found the first (Ring). As for Blacklake, don't have access anymore in Act3. Bugger.
[/QUOTE]I found his boots in the ruins where Slaan shows up iirc.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:10 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
I turned him into a monk and watched him become a slaughterfest. The monkdamage from fists is not to be underestimated! Be sure to boost him with monk-specialty items. One fault is that his WIS is really low. But there's a nice druid spell that fixes that, the lvl 5 or 6 spell that gives a WIS boost of 1/2 caster level.
Were you doing more damage via his fists than with the Hammer? I found that I a ) had less attacks via his fists; and b ) was doing less damage.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:45 AM   #9
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

No haven't found that hammer yet.