Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-01-2004, 07:32 AM   #21
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Why thank you...

Just doing my bit for society
Old 11-01-2004, 07:34 AM   #22
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
I never shut down either of my computers. I go to energy saving mode and that's it. If you use it every day you should leave it on. Otherwise you're just heating and cooling your system. This is hard on solder joints etc due to expanding and contracting and will shorten life or functionality of the PC.
energy saving mode or not.. it still uses up electricity. . besides i dont think the contract and expand will shorten the computer's lifespan too much since after 4 years you HAVE to change your PC . ah wonders of everchanging technology

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-01-2004, 10:16 AM   #23
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
While this may be true, I have heard from our school systems manager that computers need to have 'rest periods'... or something like that [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Yes. A normal pc purchased from a store front, running Win2K is desinged to run 24x7. The night IT crew are the ones who perform routine maintenance, updates etc. When I'm displaced, as currently, and not physically on the internal LAN, I do my routine maintenance once a week. Usually the same day that I maintain my vehicle. It gets all of the other non-critical Win2K updates, 'Dell' specific updates, drivers, and Norton updates. From there it gets spyware checked, then adware checked, then a full disk clean-up, then into scan disc, de-frag, and then shut-down for about 4 hours.
Sure, there are automated ways to do this, but I prefer to do an occasional visual check. Also, some of these need user interaction, and by doing when I'm about allows it to be completed in a timely manner.
For the home user, I feel that Harkoliar is on a good route, especially experiencing 'brown outs' in the AM. Yes the daily routine of power down power up takes a negligible toll on system life, it would be preffered to the drastic effects of a loss of power on a routine basis. If money were the not an issue, maintaing the power up/energy saving mode with an uninterruptable power supply would be the best route.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:01 AM   #24
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
I am going to use it to listen to music until I fall asleep, and set it to shut down my computer an hour after I go to bed...
wow thanks! you just gave me an idea. I gonna download the program.