Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

Exclamation DC version 1.0 testing

I haven't updated over here in a while. Sorry about that.

We are currently in the mad rush of final beta testing to get Dungeon Craft version 1.0 out the door and onto your computers! We just need to stamp out about a gazillion (okay closer to a hundred) bugs and finish up the documentation and maybe a tutorial or two.

I think I can pretty safely say that y'all should look forward to a 2011 release of DC version 1.0.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
JonnieR
Dungeon Master

Thumbs Up Re: DC version 1.0 testing

Manikus,

Version 1.0, it is amazing. It has been a quest in of itself, but without your dedication I don't think we would have ever seen this day. Thanks to you and all the other hard-working contributors. Can't wait to lay down a final mod or two.
JonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Shadow Stranger

Happy Re: DC version 1.0 testing

Brilliant effort there.
Finally, designers will be able to concentrate on the actual design rather than worrying about hacking basic features into FRUA.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: DC version 1.0 testing

It will be nice when it's done, that's for sure. It's been a long time coming, too. The last couple of years, Paul and i have been working very hard on this. But in a lot of ways, it was the time in-between Richard leaving and Paul coming back that was the hardest work. Trying to keep people interested and get new people interested in a project that's going nowhere fast is at not a small task.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
JonnieR
Dungeon Master

Manikus, you (and Paul too) are the man (men). I can vouch for your dedication to this project. FRUA captured a certain elusive element that made it an addictive and constantly interesting program, DC seems to be on it way to doing the same thing. Congrats and thank you.
JonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: DC version 1.0 testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieR View Post
Manikus, you (and Paul too) are the man (men). I can vouch for your dedication to this project. FRUA captured a certain elusive element that made it an addictive and constantly interesting program, DC seems to be on it way to doing the same thing. Congrats and thank you.
Thanks for the kind words and your continued support.

As a bit of trivia, we're on our 109th build of the engine since we introduced the Special Ability editor...and I don't know how many were before that, maybe 50 or so.

Oh yeah, for those that don't occasionally pop into the other forum, DC now allows designers to create their own Special Abilities a la FRUA, but in a nice and easy to use editor just like for creating spells, items and monsters. You can do everything from creating the effects for a Bless spell to giving your favorite dragon a breath weapon to making sure the vampires drain your player's PCs two levels on each successfull attack and so much more. Everything that can be done in FRUA as a Special Ability or spell effect is available in DC, but it's not hardcoded in, it's all in a nice database for designers to tweak until their heart's content.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Arminius
The Magister

Oh wow! Maybe I should start a thread announcing my return like ST did hehe. Happy 1.0 DC! Let us celebrate this momentus occasion! A round of free interwebs for everyone on me!

Man I can't wait to try the new features when i get some time off from work. If only I was a jobless slacker teenager living rent free with the parents as I was when FRUA was all the rage. I had so much time back then to tinker and play and let my imagination go wild. Now I mostly have to settle for day-dreaming once in a while of what fantastic adventures I could be creating while I toil away in the wage-slave rat-race.

BTW: I am truly sorry for disappearing without notice just when I comitted myself to The City project manikus. That was not cool and I apologise. A ton of heavy shit has happened since then. But I wont make any excuses, I could have atleast left a message here but I didnt.

Anyway, I'm back for at least some daily lurking and maybe some occasional posting if something peaks my interest. But I won't commit to anything while I have this time and energy draining job. It won't last forever though, I will be unemployed again eventually. I've been at this factory job for almost a year now so its about time for a change. I'd really like to go back to working from home like I did before with eBay business. My lady-friend and I have been discussing it.

EDIT: OH AND HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY MANIKUS! You registered here 10 years ago! OMG!

Last edited by Arminius; 01-17-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Arminius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
Oh wow! Maybe I should start a thread announcing my return
BTW: I am truly sorry for disappearing without notice just when I comitted myself to The City project manikus. That was not cool and I apologise. A ton of heavy shit has happened since then. But I wont make any excuses, I could have atleast left a message here but I didnt.
No reason to feel too ashamed. While we other wardens have posted here and there, I cannot remember that The City was mentioned quite often - apart from Manikus stating once that he is still interested in the project.
I would suggest to simply postpone The City until 1.0 is out and some more smaller projects have been achieved. By the way, at the FRUA forum there's a nice list of DC designs. In addition, a design named "The House" was finished by Merikallio.

http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1302.0
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

Howdy Arminius. Glad to see you back in the fold.

We're crunching away on this thing, and I've got to say that both Paul and I are more than ready for this thing to be out the door. Of course the bugs don't feel that way, so we have some more squishing to do before it is.

Don't feel bad about The City. It's still alive and something I will be getting back into after version 1.0 is released. I'll start pestering people again to work on their wards.

The changes to DC are quite extensive, but I hope that players won't notice much difference other than the "I didn't know it could do that!"

Wow. 10 years. That's a long time to still be working on a beta project.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Arminius
The Magister

Thanks guys. Sounds like this will be the best year yet for DC and FRUA fans alike. What areas would you like to see more feedback on for testing purposes? Or is it just a kind of vague keep your eyes open for any anomalies sort of thing? Is there an unreleased version I need to dl if I am interested in testing?
Arminius is offline   Reply With Quote