Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-21-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
bestemor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Supposedly there is a skill called 'incantation' ? Right?

If so, what combination of role, guild level, prerequisite trait(s) is necessary to be granted this severely overpowered skill [img]tongue.gif[/img] ??

I've played thru the game twice now, and have not seen any sign of it yet...
Been all classes/advanced roles except priest and rogue - none of which I would suspect would be the only source of this magnificent skill...
Got every possible trait as well...

Searched this board and others, but nottin'....

Thx in advance for the welcome greetings

SPOILERS ahead!!!
RANT starts here..........

More or less useless stuff that's good(or not) to know:

-there's an empty cave tunnel behind the Oracles, goes one for a short bit, but nothing there

- you can actually read all the combat/dialog text even if it has scrolled past the window long time ago, up to the point of the last load or city visit(?). Just click on - and hold while dragging the mouse upward - the little 'skull' in the dialog window's bottom right corner

- spell points are strange, really strange... at level 57 or so, if you maxed out earlier at level 19/20xSpirituality(SPI) pr level + ditto pr self learned spell (scrolls only give 10sp), you seem to start to get +SP=SPI at every other(2) level-up... (lvl 62 Assasin in a two man team with a Zenmaster) .
And at some point before this, most spell schools got SPI each 2 levels up to the amount of the school with the highest number of SP ('cathcing up'...? no new spells beeing learned in any way)

- killing G'ezzered Ra (in the Skull Castle) only gives you a TOTAL of 2.5 mill xp, not pr char as I was hoping for - AND seems that only the Mavin sword does any damage*, a rather tiresome chopping session with 6 chars(and no 'pass turn') for 3000+(!) hitpoints... (*not easy to get to such a position either)
Good old Oakenmir OTOH, is nice enough to give you a total of 10+ mill, and is MUCH easier to retire.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

- you CAN enchant rings (jay!!) +3 regen +9(11)AC or 'to hit' is nice on elephants. And regen stacks.....(!)

- trait:Cloak of night is guild level 5 not 4
- trait:Tiger strike, and Lethal fist, is guild level 4 not 5, which is nice as one needs not to finish Skull Castle + Anephas temple for that level 5 Bushi Dojo....

- with good skills and armor, hitpoints much above 200 doesn't matter... (never died after level 5)

- found D'Sotos chain (+20% all resistance, AC4 Regen+1 etc) in chest behind Mavin altar in second game (new chars) (wondering if this one was there the first game, with me 'blind' by finally finding the dang sword...)

- there is actually a switch to open the front gates of the Serpent temple !
Only known to me after reading a faq AFTER both games, beeing too quick in the actual game, and thinking something else must be done first (hit switch, watch door behind you close, nothing more happens the next 2 seconds, impatiently hitting switch again, said door goes up, etc...) Ok, back door it is, then... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

- hereby confirming the theories about non-warrior classes only getting +1 Fortitude from the idol of Bongu... boogerism not an issue.

- if you want to raise levels somewhat quickly('automatic') at later game stages, and beeing un-pathced: do the leprachaun quest for the Brimloch Roon pawn shop/thieves guild (5000xp each time a char 'enters' the shoppee) Just enter, wait till he starts the reward speech (3rd sentence after enter) and then click one and one char's portrait as fast as you can(NOT waiting for his response), different char each time... 50 clicks each and 6 chars would take some time to crunch thru the text, but just leave the computer and do something else for a while(1hr ?) and voila, instant 250000xp xtra.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I used the Vanish spell to get the desired item before even looking at the Skull Castle or Anepha shrine... (this game is too short.... :/ )

ok, now I feel better....
bestemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Welcome to the board...bestemor...hmm the incantations...alright...now you must have the trait Occultist...it's a trait you learn at about guild lvl 4 or something...someone will clarify that later...Any mage can learn it...And in order to use it you must have an appropriate Artifact Spell...

It's not an overpowered spell or anything...all it does is it lets you enchant some weapons with spells...not sure what it does for armor...I do believe it gives more resistance or something to that extent...

If you want to know what Artifact does what...I do believe it's in the Best Tips thread...or just ask...someone will either link you or post it...

And btw...about killing Oakenmir....There's a person here that is very protective of innocent NPC'S... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 05-21-2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: So So ]
Old 05-21-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

First off, welcome to the boards, bestemor! May your journeys in the Gael Serran serve as a guide for those to come after you...

Now, lessee...yep... I see "Incantation" as a characteristic as well, but I've never found a way to acquire it. I believe what So So is referring to above is the enchantment skill.

As for the other items you've mentioned, you should be aware that max SPI is 24, not 20. You can train to 20 in the temple, and you can increase to 24 using ankhs. Same thing for all attributes except Fortitude, where if you're at 24 in FOR at the idol of Bongu, you may still get a FOR increase to 25. I haven't had it happen to me yet, but rumor is that it's possible.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
bestemor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

oopsie, 'overpowered' ( = ironic [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Sorry 'bout that...

And yes, me knows about the 24, as well as the theories about 25... What I meant, was that at level 19 or 20, you get no more spell points just for levelling up (had SPI=24 since level 2 due to ankhs from previous party at the inn). My theory was that max SP just for levelling = highest # of spells in any school(Vine=20) times SPI, which gives 1x10(level 1,char creation) + 19x24 = 466, then add 24 for each non-book spell. And several other theories... But nothing seems to quite fit the actual numbers, though.

Before I tired of levelling and killd Cet, I think max spellpoints was 884 (doing the barbarian-1-skill-level-in-8-schools-reverse-adventure recipie, after reading bout someone who got 1000+ SP each school...)
Anyway, I'm done testing this for now....

And yes, I've also read about this tree hugging entity (on the vnboards). But hey, I spared the flying lighter ! And I don't think this Oakenmir fella is so innocent after all, noticing how all his companion trees(if he gets time to call for help) are released from 'Twisted Master'(!) the moment he croaks... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ah... well, as a new member to the boards, I wasn't sure what you knew of. It's easy to fall into assumptions about the game based on what happens in the guilds.

I (and I think Radek) would be interested in more details of your spell point maximization efforts. Radek is a mathmagician, and enjoys discovering and defining the formulas that make the game work [img]smile.gif[/img]

It sounds like you've already completed the game at least a time or two... what variation do you plan next?
-+-+-+
Old 05-22-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
bestemor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, spellpoints etc, I must admit I wasn't quite as scientific as you guys might hope for...
But here are some facts:

(second game, brand new chars)
- started with 2 wizards, both got the same treatment from there
- 1 spell each school(I think ?, or was it 2 in Vine because of had to level up to lv2 to get skill ? don't remember)

- silly me trained Moon to lev5 before long, had to learn/waste 3 xtra spells there - waste because I later found out via testing** that there was(maybe) a (calculated?) hard limit (for me 452SP) for only levelling (= level 19 for me), and temporarily* lost 3x24 SP in Moon - these spells I could have learned AFTER the hard limit to add further SP(24SP each spell). As my diff spell schools didn't have an equal amount of SP to start with, because of some level up/get skill issues before the reverse game/adventure, I thought that the school with most SP would hit the limit first. But no, a level up or 2 before the limit, it stopped, and 'waited'(!) for the other schools to catch up... Strange...

(*: later on, after all spells learned - I had diff # SP in each school. And when started to gain SP on level up again(lev57?), all schools levelled out/'played catch up' to be the same # of SP, and then only gaining SP each 2 levels, having a +SP free(=none) level inbetween each - u get the point even with my lousy english?)
(**: my 2 new guys hired 4 old(and tough) guys from the inn, and Vanished from Ishad'Na to Oakenmir for some quick levels, to see what effect all my efforts (and the Moon fiasco) had on spellpoints)

- anyway, as by now the only spells I seemed to use were non-offensive, my quest for more spell points looked more and more futile... [img]tongue.gif[/img] Two chops with my enchanted sword/dagger and dagger took care of anything but the giants, naga(s) and overgrown scorpions... So my SP research gradually halted, lost interest... oh well.

As for variation in next party, I think I've already played this game to exhaustion, at least for now - powergamer and statistics freak as I am(?), ATM I can't think of a more efficient/timesaving party (for me) than this 2 man team(IMHO. And yes I know some may disagree, but I don't care... [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

Granted, it could maybe be fun to try out some other wild combo, like 2 mace wielding priests with no rolechanging or something... But, I think I'll take a break from actual playing for a while. I just wanted to get 'closure' for now, hence the posting of questions etc...
Old 05-22-2004, 10:23 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Interesting...

Games I've played:

1. basic game, six-character party
2. Solo zenmaster
3. Solo warrior
4. Den of thieves (six rogues, no changing other than special classes)

I've had a couple of other games as well that don't come to mind... but others have suggested more challenging combinations, such as only equipping cursed items or playing naked -- no weapons, no armor, no jewelry, no nothing.

Enjoy your break, and come on back when you're ready for a new challenge [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 05-23-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Bestemor. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Might I suggest a party of vampires? or Willow's favorite...boogre mages?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:43 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the boar bestemor!!!

Was rather hoping that Radek might have made a comment by now - amazing what he has figured out about this game and its possibilities and limitations.
I've never paid that close attention to the #s when my characters developed. As long as we could survive and do what needed to be done, it was good!

Keep us posted!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote