Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Default Feature request: transparancy for smallpics

I just tested out the same 3 frame pic with both sprite and smallpic options, and the sprite has transparancy and the smallpic does not. So, now I we have the pros and cons of sprites versus smallpics.

On one hand, we've got this:

* sprites - artwork (with transparancy), 3 frames and multiple uses, FRUA compatable, works on overland map
* sprite animations - using "auto approach", cycling thru the 3 frames to make animation
* auto-approach - showing a creature literally running up confronting party

On the other, with DCs capabilities we have the ability to do:

* small picture animations - multi-frames with multiple uses, not directly loadable from FRUA, and can have a creature running up on the party just as easily, no transparancy, tho.
* wall replacement cycling - having a wall representing a picture of a creature that moves thru set motions
* small pics - FRUA compatable, just can't load the animation/color cycling into DC

See, While keeping the original 3 frame sprites available for FRUA crossover purposes would be necessary, I think we may be able to do more with smallpics ***IF*** you can set up a transparancy on a smallpic. The 3 frame sprites have transparancy (but 3 frames is kinda limiting) while the multiframe capable smallpics do not.

So, I put in an official feature request for putting transparancy capability into smallpics. Not sure how you would go about making this happen, but possibly one way to do this would be to make all smallpics that have a transparency have at least one extra frame tacked onto the end (or beginning) with only the transparent color in that frame.

ST
ps, hopefully it hasn't been officially requested already - I did a search that didn't find any.
Also, with the script capabilities that exist today, many of my requests (counting survivers of battle, for example) are moot cuz they can be done now
Old 06-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: Feature request: transparancy for smallpics

I think there may already may be a request for this, I d o know that this has been talked about in the roums several times. (Maybe the request is to alter sprites.)

First off, technically speaking, none of the graphics can just be loaded from FRUA. They have all been converted by some kind person.
Sprites: They don't have to be 3 frames. FRUA sprites are 3 frames. Using auto-approach works with 3 frames; but both Dinonykos and I have used 1 frame sprites and I have (quite a while ago) successfully loaded and animated a 5 frame sprite. The problem is that they disappear as soon as thy're done displaying
Small pics: the difference between a static and animating small pic is number of frames - FRUA animation is comparable. I'm not sure what you mean by the walls bit, as by definition, small pics are not walls and vice versa. The wall animating request is different than small pics (walls are more like sprites anyways)

Here's how I feel about sprites vs. small pics: small pics should not have tranxparency, we should just change sprites to work in a way that they are currently not to satisfy the "gap".

If it wasn't for FRUA compatibility (whatever that means these days) I say we should get rid of sprites and instead offer the designer the option for a "viewport" picture that can behave like the current small pi AND sprite (plus any additional stuff); give the same capabilities to big pics, so that we could have animated big pics and then also have a use definable third size/shape that has the same capabilities.
Actually, this could still allow the importing of FRUA designs, since the artwork is placed by name not function and is not done automatically for small pics/sprites anyways.

Did any of that make sense? I know what I'm thinkoing, but I feel I may have jumbled it a bit on the explanation...
Old 06-17-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

You made it quite clear, Manikus. Indeed, the separation between small-pics and sprites seems somewhat artificial, thus, as long as the "classic" 3-pic sprite is still possible (as "3-frame animation with transparency", so to write), as needed for the encounter events, I would prefer to handle them as the same thing.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Ideally, there would be one choice called "small pic" (as opposed to a medium pic and big pic), and the designer would load the image and put a check in a box if it should be treated as an image with transparency, and a check in another box if they wished it to be used as a "classic sprite".
Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

To use the sprite graphics in an event, you have the choices of "up close", "nearby", and "far away" that are supposed to equate to the distance from the party that the encounter or combat takes place at. Therefore, unless you know some kind of trick, you couldn't display a sprite graphic, complete with transparency, with more than the standard 3 frames.

Now, if we could use the settings given for all of the other graphics, which include the size of the graphic displayed, number of frames, animation style, looping and loop count, ect... If the sprites had that info attached to them like all other graphics then the sprites could be 3 frames, 5 frames, 100 frames, whatever! and to me, the idea of having transparancy and more than 3 frames would be the holy grail of sprite-dom. I mean, granted I'm not much of an artist at this point but I could see you step into a square where I have an example of a spite event set up and this special event just shows an animated sprite (more than 3 frames ) and it has a person you are chasing after walk across the viewport at a distance and you see them walk thru a door or around a corner. Now, its given that you see them and assumed that they see you, but if you follow are you walking into a trap???

thats my rant for now.

ST the ranter
Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
nologgie
Dungeon Master

I think the goal you mention can be done now, just not with sprites.

FRUA had some anims (5 frames IIRC) that would play through once, then loop 3-5. I think this can already be simulated with two pics, followed by a 3-frame anim, but I haven't tried it to see how well.

I heartily agree about transparency! This would allow "Sprites" to be used with different walls, which would improve flexibility without incurring serious Art Bloat.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

So, you want sprites to be like small pics and small pics to be like sprites...

When I place a Text Statement event and choose sprite, I have all of the animation options that I do for a small pic. And Paul fixed the animation for sprites a while back...
I'll grant that you still only have the 3 positions for choosing from in the event, but that doesn't mean that you can't have more than 3 frames that can be accessed by that particular drop-down menu.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
So, you want sprites to be like small pics and small pics to be like sprites...
EXACTLY!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
I'll grant that you still only have the 3 positions for choosing from in the event, but that doesn't mean that you can't have more than 3 frames that can be accessed by that particular drop-down menu.
Ok, I see what you mean. I'm not sure what the solution for my gripe is, but niether the smallpic or sprite do what I want. Sprites should allow for flipping thru the frames (and not only 3) without having to make a no text talk event for each frame, with an option for keeping the last frame (or first since the animation is backwards for sprites) displayed until you change direction/move.
-OR-
smallpics should allow transparancy and stay displayed until move/change direction

But I'll let this one go and stop griping about it for now

ST the griper
Old 06-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

The things, ST, is that you can animate sprites in a Text Statement event. You have a 10 frame sprite you want to loop? No problem. I honestly have no idea if this works in .914, but it works in what I'm using.