Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

G'day everyone, I'm in Boston now!! Arrived last night at about 7pm after a marathon flight from Sydney - I reckon I was on the road for about 30 hours including waiting time.

So far the city looks great, what little I've seen of it. Reminds me more of Melbourne than Sydney with all the old Victorian buildings. I checked out my university (Babson College) today and geez the campus looks beautiful! Am meeting up with a bunch of people in my class tomorrow night to get on the turps at some pub in Boston.

Did a wee bit of driving around to get a feel for suburbs, tomorrow I'll check out some apartments. The rental car company boffins were supposed to give me a midsize car as I didn't want a big one, but they screwed up and upgraded me to a Chrysler Pacifica - a seven seater SUV beast. It's MASSIVE!!!! Bloody hard to drive and see where the end is.

Anyway, I will be sporadically online depending on how this wireless network at my hotel holds up, it's been on and off for much of today.

Chewy, we should probably catch up next week if you're free mate, I'll be a bit more settled by then hopefully.

One more thing - it's bloody hot here today - 100 F (whatever that is in C). I thought it was supposed to be cold here??

[ 08-22-2005, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:31 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the States, Memnoch! And don't worry -- the cold will come... somewhere around November or December. It's been unseasonable hot the last several weeks pretty much everywhere, AFAIK.

I'll be in Boston in a couple of weeks, and perhaps we can meet up for a drink or three. Just a quick trip, but more's the fun [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I went through that "car upgrade" fiasco exactly once -- in San Francisco. They didn't have my size car, so they upgraded me to a Lincoln Town Car. Nice big boat that is... sleeps eight, I think, not including the three in the trunk.

I didn't realize that parking a car that size in San Francisco is pretty much out of the question... you can fit two "normal" cars in that same space. Go figure...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:57 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Hey welcome!

Once you see how some people drive around here you might get thankful for a tank in a hurry!

Drop me a line when you get settled, Memnoch. If you need any directions or tips let me know.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:30 AM   #4
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Glad to hear you got out before Australia shut down Mems. Australians on IW's are rarer than a Gillespie Maiden at the moment!
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Glad you got over there ok Mem's

To bad we couldn't send you off in style!

Next time I'm in the states I will drop you a line.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Well...this explains the dark sky up North when I look out my window....

Now that Cloudy and I have you near, we shall contain you and drink your essence and become assistant administrators to IW!

Cloudy...you catch'em an' hold'em, and I'll be up there this weekend with the Dark Crystal.

[ 08-12-2005, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Larry... ROTFL! He's driving that behemoth so I think I'll wait til he's been at the pubs a bit before we snag 'im. We'll have to see about getting together after Memsie gets all settled in and slows down a bit...hehe.

Mario! Welcome to the States! I hear you on the not being able to see the ends of the car! LOL I drive an Accord now and since all my life I've driven compacts and sub-compacts this thing FEELS huge even though I'm told it's a mid-size car! Hard to park it when I can't see the front or back corners of the thing!

Sounds like you're in and getting yourself settled nicely! I hope you can find decent digs in the next week or so. When do classes start?

PS, Bungleau's right..it will cool off...eventually! LOL By then you'll be begging for the heat again....about the time you have to dig your car out from under 3 feet of snow!

[ 08-12-2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 08-13-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Memnoch, welcome to the U.S.! Yes, Boston is a cool city and a great place to go to school. Their public transportation system is top notch especially the subway known as the "T." You don't even need a car! The autumn season is great up there and as Bungleau said, the cold *WILL* come along with a few Nor'Easters and some serious snow. By the time March rolls around you'll be dreaming of the heat.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hey everyone, it's bloody hot here in Boston - it was 100 F (38 C) here today and yesterday.

Met a bunch of people from Babson last night and hit the town - we went to a place called the Boston Beer Works where they DON'T serve Coronas or Heinies but rather their own brew. It wasn't too bad, a bit bright and a bit filled with jailbait. Then we went to a place called Fanueil Hall which looked like a huge undergrad hangout - it was full of young hims and hers all trying to get themselves plastered to the point where they pass out on the street. It was a bit seedy, actually - I normally wouldn't be caught dead hanging out in some of the bars we went to but seeing as we were all new to the place we just had to do trial and error. [img]redface.gif[/img] I'm used to more classy places, this area was more like a bit of a yob area full of wannabe homeboys and farmboys, and mutton dressed up as lamb. Chewy, please tell me that there are trendier places in Boston!!! One thing I did find that was really weird was getting checked for ID everywhere - I haven't been checked for ID since I was 21, ten years ago. And as I didn't have my passport with me one pub refused to take my Australian drivers license as valid ID!!! Geez they're tough on alcohol here, I even got checked for ID ordering a beer at a restaurant!

I think I've settled on a place - I found a 1000sq foot 1BR in Needham for $1275 which is 1) high speed internet ready; 2) pet friendly; 3) has a parking spot and guest parking; and 4) reasonably well maintained, next to Rosemary Lake. It's not quite Sydney Harbour, and it's way out in the burbs for a city boy like me but it's good value for money and it's 2miles from the school. I'm looking at a few more places in Waltham, Wellesley, Newton and Brookline but it's going to be hard to beat this place, even if it's out in burbland.

Albromar, I'll be needing a car as Babson College is about 3miles from the T and 1.5miles from the train - I wouldn't want to be walking that in this summer heat or in a blizzard in winter. I think I've found a decent car for uni - it's actually a car I considered getting before I ended up getting my Alfa, a Volkswagen Jetta VR6. I found one with 90000miles on the clock for $8200 - if it were in Australia it would sell for about $20000 OZ. Amazing how cheap they are here. If I could sell my bloody Alfa to fund this it would be good.

Anyway, will post more later. Bungleau, drinks would be good - when are you around exactly? I'd rather schedule something now as my calendar is going to be tight heading into September. But it would be good to catch up with yourself and Chewy.

Been a very busy three days so far. Haven't even gone sightseeing yet - too many other things to do.

[ 08-13-2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll be out there Thursday the 25th. At least, I think that's the right date -- the Thursday around then.

I'll be in Marlborough, specifically... on the western side. I've got to drive to Springfield later that night, but that's just a little over an hour. Let me know if that works in.

And I just saw the weather... you're about 20 degrees F higher than us out here. Man, I hope it breaks before I get out there [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote