Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-11-2001, 01:43 PM   #1
Blade
Emerald Dragon

In the A prayer to those who were innocent.. in the US terror right now thread several of you said you were wiccan. I have only passivaly heard of this language. If its not to much trouble could someone explain it to me, what it is abluot ect. I like to be informed and i find that I don't know anything about this religion.

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 09-11-2001, 01:53 PM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I will try to give you an overview.

Basically, wiccan believe in the powers of nature and the Goddess.

Short motto: "An ye harm none, do what you will" The original is much larger and I don't have it here at work, but can post it when I get home if you want.

We can call upon the energy in nature to affect a cause (i.e. - cast spells of a sort). Kind of like prayer with a "power boost" IMO. We believe the moon has it's own powers, too. It's a very nature oriented belief system.

And, if you ever cast to harm someone, it comes back on you threefold. Woe unto you.

I'm having a hard time getting it all down in a nice neat package at the moment. I'm still very shaken by all that's happened today.

Let me post when I get home, if you are still interested.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-11-2001, 01:54 PM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Isn't it EVERYTHING that you do which you get back three-fold? Both spells and other things you do? At least, that's the impression that I have.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:54 PM   #4
Vampire

http://www.wrcf.org/

Old 09-11-2001, 01:55 PM   #5
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Isn't it EVERYTHING that you do which you get back three-fold? Both spells and other things you do? At least, that's the impression that I have.
Well, yes, actually. I always make sure to warn about the bad things; but if you do something good, too, it comes back to you threefold. Very encouraging to do good things.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-11-2001, 01:56 PM   #6
Absynthe

Ther are a lot of things to tell, Blade. Essentially, Wicca is a belief system based upon a pantheon of deities and has many interpretations. It is both ancient and modern, as it was suppressed for a long while and is now enjoying a renaissance. Keying Wicca into a search engine will provide you with a load of sites. Other Wiccans on Ironworks may be more enlightening, I find myself unable to think very clearly today...

Old 09-11-2001, 01:56 PM   #7
G'kar

There are several comprehensive books found in the "new age" section of any bookstore. I recommend "The Power Of the Witch" by Laurie Cabot as one among many.

Old 09-11-2001, 01:58 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
I will try to give you an overview.
Short motto: "An ye harm none, do what you will" The original is much larger and I don't have it here at work, but can post it when I get home if you want.

I think it's:

"Bide the Wiccan Rede ye must,
in perfect Love and perfect Trust,
Eight words doth the Rede fulfill,
'An it harm none, do what ye will."

I have Wiccan friends; they follow this as a normal matter of course.

------------------
Old 09-11-2001, 01:58 PM   #9
Blade
Emerald Dragon

It sound like a religon i wold like. Curantly i am an athiest but i love nature and the sight of the stars and the moon. Is there any way i can become one? Or just learn more about it in depth?

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 09-11-2001, 01:59 PM   #10
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don't usually talk about religion...

here's the definition with this link
http://www.angelfire.com/boybands/ex...ter/wiccan.htm

there you go merry peace