Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-01-2001, 11:33 PM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

Ok, I love the concept of the Assassin. A stalker of the night, the whisper that his enemies hear before the death blow, etc., etc.

Couple problems though. One thing about Assassins, is that they would normally favor short bladed weapons, right? Daggers and stuff. Now, since it makes no sense for an Assassin to utilize a shield (bulky and clanky) I think they need to change the proficiency options around.

First, a Swashbuckler is an expert in Fencing, the art of using one sword both offensively and defensively. This kit should be allowed specialization in Single Weapon style, not Two-Weapon.

Second, an Assassin favors in close stealthy attacks with knives, garottes, maybe even short swords. It would make sense that an Assassin could take advantage of the Two-Weapon style (3 stars) when fighting with short bladed weapons in each hand.

I can change this using Shadowkeeper, but my question to the forum is would this be a legitimate use of it, in keepeing with a character concept?

------------------
He Will Win
Whose Army Is Animated
By The Same Spirit
Throughout Its Ranks

Sun Tzu - The Art of War
Old 11-02-2001, 09:27 AM   #2
Kaleban
Manshoon

*bump* Help...?
Old 11-02-2001, 10:11 AM   #3
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

I agree with you to some degree, certainly I think that thiefs and their kits in general should be able to specialize in daggers and shortswords due to the nature of their work. As far as the "two weapon style" ability goes I don't really see why they would be granted any special consideration yet I do feel that most classes should be able to spend points in that ability if they wished to.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 11-02-2001, 10:31 AM   #4
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

I would have to agree with IrishHound on the two weapon spec.
Why should an assassin get extra benefits? I think that most
of the assassins would use one. If you're an assassin, it
shouldn't take more than one good backstab with a little poison
to finish off your mark.

To answer your question, I don't think it would be a bad idea to
change it with Shadowkeeper. I never use it to create items, but
I have used it to change around some of the NPC's slots.

------------------

Keeper of Lost Cause
Sazerac Artwork:Limited Edition #145 (Signed)
If things got any better, I'd be twins.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:44 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

I think changing things like this with SK is fine - after all, you are interested in the role-playing aspect of the game. Making a few changes would enhance your enjoyment - after all, if you were running a PnP game it would be acceptable for you to make changes to enhance role-playing if you see fit. I view this in the same light. Go ahead and have fun

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 11-02-2001, 10:53 AM   #6
Tiamat
Banned User

Go have fun modifin'!

------------------
Dt'laqano, Lich of Trademeet
Old 11-02-2001, 12:59 PM   #7
Kaleban
Manshoon

Seeing as how this is still a tactical combat game, by taking two weapons and using daggers/shortswords, I am somewhat handicapping myself anyways. I just have a total aversion to cheating of any sort, and with games like this, I hate even bending the rules, because then I wonder if I'm robbing myself of the experience as it was intended.

I justify it as this: the Assassin will end up in multiple fights with many opponents, which most Assassins do not encounter. I think of it as Hugo the Hand from the Death Gate Cycle series of books, when cornered and up against it, the dude breaks out a world of hurt on everybody. I think a dual-wielding Assassin is more than plausible, especially one who concentrates on the short blades proficiencies...

------------------
He Will Win
Whose Army Is Animated
By The Same Spirit
Throughout Its Ranks

Sun Tzu - The Art of War
Old 11-02-2001, 01:05 PM   #8
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
Seeing as how this is still a tactical combat game, by taking two weapons and using daggers/shortswords,

I justify it as this: the Assassin will end up in multiple fights with many opponents, which most Assassins do not encounter.
I think they should change the rules to fit the old AD&D rules. If
you dual-wielded, the secondary weapon HAD to be shorter than the
primary weapon.

I still say you're not neccessarily cheating, just improvising.

------------------

Keeper of Lost Cause
Old 11-02-2001, 01:10 PM   #9
Kaleban
Manshoon

Didn't 2nd Edition AD&D state that the off-hand weapon had to be shorter than the primary unless the primary was a short sword/dagger? I don't remember, but if your primary is a dagger, it can't get much shorter than that eh?
Old 11-02-2001, 01:12 PM   #10
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
Didn't 2nd Edition AD&D state that the off-hand weapon had to be shorter than the primary unless the primary was a short sword/dagger? I don't remember, but if your primary is a dagger, it can't get much shorter than that eh?
Ahh. Maybe so. You could always break out the dagger/toothpick
combo. Everytime I think of dual wielding daggers I
think about the scene in The Mummy Returns. Two hot babes fighting
with daggers. Good scene.

------------------

Keeper of Lost Cause