Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 11-06-2003, 06:11 PM   #1
Tarlanon
Manshoon

I noticed in the massive (well, massive for this DC forum, anyway ) thread regarding the new update/docs discussion that the Mighty Ziroc mentioned we should get DC known to the gaming world at large (via something like Computer Gaming World). I like the idea. I like it a lot.

I would personally wait a little bit for DC to flesh itself out a little more. What we have is great (and CocoaSpud and team, it really is fantastic what is there so far), but it is admittingly incomplete and does have some little bugs here and there. Just wee ones. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Anyway, what I am getting at is that maybe we should wait a little bit before announcing DC to the world. I would hate hate hate for some know-it-all critic with a penchant for perfectionism to get ahold of DC and say to the world that it is crap. We know it is good, quality stuff, but bad press would not be good. (obviously)

Feel better waiting until more is completed, and there are maybe a few more playable mods for potential new 'Crafters' to see before letting the world in to DC. Just a small opinion of mine.

That being said, DC could maybe use a PR person?

That said I would nominate Manikus as the official PR person of DC. He has a great site, is very upbeat about DC, and is very very welcoming of any new folks who happen to show up here in the Forum. So if there is a vote, mine is for Manikus!

Rah-Rah Manikus! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

i pretty much agree with just about everything you said, tarlanon. i think showing the world at large a finished project would be more beneficial than showing an almost finished project. (and by finished, i just mean 1.0)
i love to read the freeware reviews in the game magazines b/c they always talk about the passion of the creators and i think it plays better to hear about the finished-but-ever-improving project than about the project that is good and might be great if it gets finished. (the core community knows how devoted cocoaspud is, but some games magazine writer doesn't.)
with that said, once we are ready to advertise, we've got a pretty darn good project, with lots of support and some really well done fan sites. i think the only thing missing, aside from 1.0, are a couple of good, short designs that illustrate what the engine is capable of doing. plus, we can then point people to the designs that harri has already done to show them the kind of quality and versatility possible with dungeon craft.

i also feel that cocoaspud might have some thoughts on this and should really be the one asked when it's a go.

now, as for me as pr person...

-manikus
Old 11-06-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarlanon:
I noticed in the massive (well, massive for this DC forum, anyway ) thread regarding the new update/docs discussion that the Mighty Ziroc mentioned we should get DC known to the gaming world at large (via something like Computer Gaming World). I like the idea. I like it a lot.

I would personally wait a little bit for DC to flesh itself out a little more. What we have is great (and CocoaSpud and team, it really is fantastic what is there so far), but it is admittingly incomplete and does have some little bugs here and there. Just wee ones. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]

Anyway, what I am getting at is that maybe we should wait a little bit before announcing DC to the world. I would hate hate hate for some know-it-all critic with a penchant for perfectionism to get ahold of DC and say to the world that it is crap. We know it is good, quality stuff, but bad press would not be good. (obviously)

Feel better waiting until more is completed, and there are maybe a few more playable mods for potential new 'Crafters' to see before letting the world in to DC. Just a small opinion of mine.

That being said, DC could maybe use a PR person?

That said I would nominate Manikus as the official PR person of DC. He has a great site, is very upbeat about DC, and is very very welcoming of any new folks who happen to show up here in the Forum. So if there is a vote, mine is for Manikus!

Rah-Rah Manikus! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
I too would wait till it's fleshed out. and get the art sets finished, and the manual as well.

Now for PR, I personally have very close ties/friends with nearly every gaming house and a few at PC Gamer and 'Computer Games Magazine'. (This is from working with them and gaming companies for reviews on their games and such. I am good at PR, but I since I have so much else to do, I think manikus would be a great choice!

You would need to draw up a press release, and send it to all the magazines, with links to the Offical DC site, and my site (Official DC Art) as well as others.

But as the other guy said, I would hold off until we clean DC up more. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

I'm not very good at tooting my horn, and I rely on others to get the word out about DC. I agree that a PR campaign should wait until DC gets more polished.

As I add more spell scripts and related items I expect things to get worse before they get better. I can test the 'success' paths, but it's not feasible for me to test all combinations of spells and player actions.

Richard
Old 01-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

glad to see you back in the forums, cocoaspud. [img]smile.gif[/img]

i've thought a bit about the pr issue, and all the ideas presented are pretty good, and i think by at least 4 people. instead of having a pr "person" we should all chip in and do what we can do. that's kind of the idea behind opensource projects anyways.

i know this project still needs lot of beta testing, and while spells are an obvious place to do some, where are some other good places? lots of nights, i just like to putz around on the computer, might as well be doing some good, (it goes without saying that i'll already have dungeon craft open.)

-manikus
Old 01-14-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

One area I never test is character development.

Running a multi-class character:
- is experience handled right?
- does training level up the right way?

Running a dual-class character:
- is the new class treated as level 1?
- when the new class level reaches the old are both classes working?

Stuff like that. Just about anything related to AD&D rules.