Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Valentine's Day?
Oh, I love Valentine's Day! 7 19.44%
I hate it. It's a Hallmark holiday. 17 47.22%
I hate it. It brings out deep-seated feelings of loathing, resentment, and insecurity from the darkest corners of my soul. 10 27.78%
Valentine's Day is not celebrated in my country, so it doesn't really matter to me. 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
How do you really feel about Valentine's Day?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:28 AM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I just realized, a bit too late, that I should have asked if people were single or not... That seems to skew things. I do feel, however, that my opinion would be the same regardless of my curent relationship status. Or lack thereof.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:15 AM   #3
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

I've got to be honest and say that I really do enjoy it, its quite nice to be fussed over and there is an element of cuteness to it.

It's a pain in the arse though because when you are single through it you realise what you are missing and its not nice to see dozens of happy couples trotting around all "loved up".
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:26 AM   #4
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

A bunch of people walking around all sickeningly sweet... ARGH how I loathe it. (On a side note this has nothing to do in my opinion with being single or not. I have the same opinion when I am single and when I am not.)
Old 02-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Psst, don't look, shadowhound....I'm going to be 'sickeningly sweet' for minute!

I don't like the hype and 'YOU MUST SPEND MONEY ON THIS THAT AND ALL OUR PRODUCTS TO PLEASE YOUR LOVED ONE" kind of advertising that shows up but you get that overcommercialization of just about every major and many minor holidays.

And I don't like that some folks feel sad or start thinking that without a bf/gf/spouse they are incomplete etc.because I don't think it works that way at all!

What I do like is that it is a good day to reflect on the love that I have in my life. Of course I include my husband but for me it's not JUST romantic love but also that of family and good friends.

I know, we should do this all the time but sometimes we get caught up in the hectic rushing about of everyday life and lose sight of just how much the other people in our lives mean to us. Valentine's day, for me, is a day to think about those people and to let them know they mean alot to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

My husband and I will be going out for dinner, then spending a quiet evening at home. [img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
It's just another day to me - I don't think or act differently at all. I don't see anything different in people around me either... maybe its just in my area we can't be arsed. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
And I don't like that some folks feel sad or start thinking that without a bf/gf/spouse they are incomplete etc.because I don't think it works that way at all!
It's true what you say, but the lonely/incomplete feeling can't be just sent away. At least for me not.

[ 02-14-2005, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: dplax ]

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

My gf is at U. She got a very important exam coming. I don't feel like disburbing her. So yeah I won't be celebrating this year.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I only ever celebrate it because I usually happen to be involved with someone at the time and I know it's tantamount to murder if I forget and/or don't make a big deal out of it, so for me it's a kind of invisible pressure imposed by the girl I'm with. I personally don't care about the day at all since I'm not terribly sentimental, and the last speck of romance the concept could've held has been utterly obliterated by mass media hype.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm really none of the above -- it doesn't do much for me one way or another. It feels far more commercial than I'd like to think (and since my wife's birthday is the 6th of February, I'm toast -- I can't come up with two good gift ideas in that short of a period of time).

We're down to exchanging cards and some special time together.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote