Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #11
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Don't forget! If you have a broadband connection and W2K or WXP, you can host your own website! You can register a domain name for pretty cheap these days, or if you prefer, just use your public IP addy in forwarding links on other sites. That way, you dan't have to upload a gazillion files and can use decent web page building software on the fly.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
philip
Galvatron

Doesn't sound very safe, an open connection to your computer! Giving your own IP is even more risky. Uploading is easy and with an FTP program it goes a lot faster.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:23 PM   #13
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
Doesn't sound very safe, an open connection to your computer! Giving your own IP is even more risky. Uploading is easy and with an FTP program it goes a lot faster.
A broadband connection is already that to begin with! Your IP is given out whenever someone connects to you regardless. Peer to peer sharing programs or FTP upload are some examples. If you connect to someones web server, it has your IP as it needs it in order to be able to communicate with you. Names are always resolved to the IP addy. NAT and hardware firewall are your only true protection. Now (depending on your knowledge) you may say, "Dial up doesn't need an IP! So how can I need an IP address to communicate on the web?". That's not quite true. YOUR computer doesn't control the IP but that doesn't mean you don't have one. The reason you don't have an IP on your PC is because the last leg of your connection is a point to point serial with your ISP. The IP address is assigned to your physical connection on the ISP end when you connect and anything going to that IP is routed into your serial connection. The next time you dial up, you may connect to a different phone line and thus have a different IP address.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 PM   #14
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
I'm not sure if this would be correct, but maybe your ftp is wrong, cause mine doesn't have the co part in it, so for me: ftp.members.lycos.nl . You can find it in your account page (though I assume you already had that)

Have you set the program to use port 21, next to your login? And have you unchecked the anonimous option?
ill try your ftp connection philip.

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 AM   #15
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
about broadband connection safety
I know about the connections and IPs. My point was that if I go to a random site I don't allow everyone on the internet to see my IP. With hosting a site everybody can find out. About the hardware firewall, it only gives you safety because your computer has another ip in your local network. Ever tried taking your firewall down for say an hour? I did and someone I was talking to did as well, we both got trojans in that relatively short period while doing nothing but talking and visiting a site that didn't distribute it. Those programs are supposed to negate that bit of safety of your firewall, or so I hear
Old 04-08-2004, 09:55 PM   #16
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Sir Kenyth, broadband connections can have dynamic IPs aswell. That, and a standard ADSL or one-way Sattelite connection (which both classify as broadband) does not have enough bandwidth to support a good webserver.