Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Ground Zero mosque

Frankly, until they finish building the memorial to 9/11, they should refrain from building anything there. Yes, in this instance I am guilty of not reading the whole thread before posting, but I have an appointment with Section 8 Housing shortly, and am in a hurry. As I posted on another forum, however, the "bandaid" should be applied prior to any other major construction being done in the immediate vicinity. Allow the healing to begin first, then run with whatever.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #22
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion

Quote:
Taliban officials know it’s sacrilegious to hope a mosque will not be built, but that’s exactly what they’re wishing for: the success of the fiery campaign to block the proposed Islamic cultural center and prayer room near the site of the Twin Towers in lower Manhattan. “By preventing this mosque from being built, America is doing us a big favor,” Taliban operative Zabihullah tells NEWSWEEK. (Like many Afghans, he uses a single name.) “It’s providing us with more recruits, donations, and popular support.”
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/30/t...o-recruit.html
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

“the face of terror is not the true faith of Islam. … Islam is peace. These terrorists don’t represent peace. They represent evil and war.”

[American Muslims] “need to be treated with respect. In our anger and emotion, our fellow Americans must treat each other with respect.”

-- George W. Bush
Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Frankly, until they finish building the memorial to 9/11, they should refrain from building anything there.
The contradiction to your point is that they are building that shit at a snail's pace, and if we have to wait on the memorial we might as well declare 9 blocks of NYC as a dead zone for the next 2 generations.
Quote:
Yes, in this instance I am guilty of not reading the whole thread before posting, but
And you're uninformed.
Quote:
As I posted on another forum
And I left there so why mention it.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
The contradiction to your point is that they are building that shit at a snail's pace, and if we have to wait on the memorial we might as well declare 9 blocks of NYC as a dead zone for the next 2 generations.
A better contradiction might be that the professed hope of the Imams in charge of building the cultural center/mosque(whatever) that the facility would aid in the healing by showing that not all Muslim's are out to kill people who believe differently than them. And that there can be peaceful, meaningful discourse between those of different and even contradictory beliefs.

P.S. just nitpicking on this, but Islam is not peace. Islam means submission. Salaam means peace. (and even those are probably less than 100% accurate)

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #26
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
P.S. just nitpicking on this, but Islam is not peace. Islam means submission. Salaam means peace. (and even those are probably less than 100% accurate)
Well in all fairness I was quoting GWB, someone who's barely literate and can't eat a pretzel without almost dying.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #27
Hindsight
The Magister

You know, I find it funny that Islam is supposed to be such a wondering, peaceful, loving religion; but have you ever noticed that most, or almost all major aid organizations are Christian? I just don't get the big allure, to switch to such a religion. (sorry, at little off topic, I know)

Obviously, more time is needed than 9 years, for these wounds to heal. I like the idea of the community centre and I would love to walk in there as a non-muslim to take advantage of the facility, but it just seems too soon for people.
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #28
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...nter.kwtv.html
Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #29
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Umm.. what does a Satanic church gathering have to do with the ground zero mosque/civic center? or was it supposed to be the video after that you wanted us to see?

on a side note, I have a hard time taking a guy's claims that he's serious about his alleged beliefs when he's wearing a red latex demon mask.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #30
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Umm.. what does a Satanic church gathering have to do with the ground zero mosque/civic center? or was it supposed to be the video after that you wanted us to see?

on a side note, I have a hard time taking a guy's claims that he's serious about his alleged beliefs when he's wearing a red latex demon mask.
As for the mask, he didn't want to be identified. So, no matter how you slice it he was going to look silly.

As for the relevance, it's the broader question of what is religious freedom, and what do we recognize as religion. This community seems to be a bit more enlightened to what the 1st Amendment protects, whereas the kerfuffle over the G.Z. mosque is just boiling over with stupid stupidity of stupidness and stupification.

Lagniappe: Check out this PSA.

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 09-01-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote