Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-10-2001, 09:20 AM   #1
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Can anyone offer up a *good* (i.e. not a lot of "fluff") version of the English Arthurian legend/chronicles?

I've read several different versions of the story, and all offer a different spin on the tale but most are filled with fluff. I'm interested in learning the supposed origins (fictional character or actual being?) of Arthur as well as an account that is as close to historical data as can be. (If such even exists as some claim that Arthur and the Arthurian tales are fiction and some claim that this was an actual person and course of events.)

One of the best accounts that I read told his story as him being a Roman soldier who introduced early cavalry to the area and after the Roman withdrawal stayed on to forge himself and his band of goons a kingdom of sorts...

Any suggestions??? Thanks!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-10-2001, 10:49 AM   #2
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Le Morte D' Arthur

It's considered the definative work. Not all "fluff".

Hope this helps...

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
Old 05-10-2001, 01:18 PM   #3
Epona
Zartan

I agree, Le Morte Darthur by Sir Thomas Malory is what you should start with. It was written in 1470 and is the most original version of the legend available and is based on a mixture of older writings, stories told by minstrels and French prose, all mixed up with 13th and 14th century ideals of knighthood.

The version I have also gives a useful chronology of Arthurian material:

Late 5th- early 6th century - time around which the 'historical' Arthur (probably a local warlord) would have existed.
545 - Gildas gives an account of some possibly Arthurian events
600 - The poem Gododdin cites Arthur as being a familiar hero
800 - Nennius' chronical lists 12 battles fought by Arthur against the Saxons
900 - The Annales Cambriae mentions the death of Arthur and Medraut at Camlann
1000 - Origins of the earliest Welsh Arthurian story, Culhwch and Olwen
1136 - Geoffrey of Monmouth compiles the basic outline of Arthur's biography in The Kings of Britain
1155 - Wace's adaptation of Geoffrey, the Brut, contains the first mention of the Round Table
1160-90 - Chretien de Troye's French Arthurian verse romances
1200 - Robert de Boron begins the spiritualizing of the Grail
1210 - Layamon's Brut contains the first account of Arthur in English
1215-25 - French prose Vulgate Cycle (Lancelot-Graal)
1240 - French prose Tristan brings the Tristan story into the Arthurian orbit
1300 - First Arthurian verse romances in English
1380 - Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
1390 - Alliterative Morte Arthure
1400 - Stanzic Morte Arthur
1450 - First English Arthurian prose romance (Merlin)
1469-70 - Malory completes the Morte Darthur
1488-9 - First printing of French prose Lancelot and Tristan

Bear in mind that by the time Geoffrey of Monmouth writes his history, Arthur is already legend having existed some 500-600 years earlier, so Geoffrey writes what he has heard about the legend as if it were truth. There is a version in English translation of The Kings of Britain published by Penguin. Gildas is also published in translation, but I think only contains a brief reference.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is also a good story in the Arthurian tradition, if you don't mind wading through it in a dialect of Middle English, although most versions contain a glossary to enable translation (the version I have is published by Penguin) - it also may be available as a modern translation.

Try also:
Lancelot of the Lake
The Romance of Tristan (both Anon. and published by Oxford University Press)
Chretien de Troyes' Arthurian Romances is published by Penguin Classics

Hopefully this will give you something to get started on - let me know how it goes!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 05-10-2001).]
Old 05-10-2001, 01:34 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The ancient Welsh saga The Mabinogion is one of the first documented works to have Arthur in it. It's definitely more Celtic than Norman in its viewpoint, and if you can muddle through the gaelic words (Ysbaddadwthwn, Twrch Trwyth, etc.), it's definitely a worthwhile read.

Old 05-10-2001, 02:21 PM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Epona, wow what an extensive and accurate list!
I already knew that this was your forte but still, I'm impressed. There is a modern english translation of Sir Gawain available from Penguin.
BTW Some of you may consider this "fluff" but I really liked the original take on the story provided in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon. (the other books in the series are less interesting IMO)
Malory is great but will not give you a new, original view of the story logically as it is like Epona says a very famous and early work.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia