Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 02:59 AM   #11
VIXEN
Dungeon Master

Saz..I have to agree with your points...In just about any RPG game I've played there have been certain areas where you can continually fight to gain xp or gold and I feel that they are built in for just that. EX: you didn't go thru the game in the exact sequence they mapped it out and there is no way to get past a certain area (mantraps!! lol) unless your characters have reached certain levels...(just a broad expample). I'm thinking the designers put them there for the players benefits, if the players are sharp enough to discover them. =o)
VIXEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:37 AM   #12
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have now taken My Pixie through the game Four times he is at level 402 and his Parry is at +200 Too. It was Lower And I figured out that that was Because He had So much Armor on He is A Monk now he has gone through every role and every magic Armor Rating is high I can't Remember The exact amount but he Strong No Magic Can Harm him. My Plan Was to take 1 charector through the game and then but him in the inn then take another Through and now I have a group of six and they are all at at least level 200 1 Zenmaster 1 Assisin 2 Ninja 2 MOnks and 1 Valkrie they are all females so they were able take any role and did expt for the begging Roles. I killed all of the NPC's that could be killed that included Ala - Shakahn and it worked good but I did't Walk Around Like you did I just Went to the level beat it and left and went to the next not going to town until I had to did need potions or anything because all were Vampires with health over 100,000 because I don't have the patch I used the Toughen Cheat. i have My Oomphaz Strongest Charector and took him through again I also Have a tiger guy and A elf and a Lizzord and A human. I wish there was a multiplayer so I could Play Against you Guys or however it would Work

------------------
Loumistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:44 AM   #13
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh yeah I just Remembered you can Take a Short Cut Trough the Game like you said With out ging to Skull Caslte you can Also Go Straight to Dargon Spire all You have to do is have someone with a Fire magic and the artifact of the fire and encatant the armor to restist fir and go Straight in Kill EartheMedor and the Mavin Sword is yours and I think You can use vanish at the caves of ishad N'ha too.

------------------
Loumistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 11:45 AM   #14
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Ryanamur, I agree with you to a point. Having effects like that in a game is clearly unrealistic...but it is not a cheat. There are many people who (including me) find that word distasteful and offensive, and it has been the source of more than one flame war.

Respectfully,

-Sazerac
OK, Saz, no worries, I won't take out the punching gloves I guess that my definition of cheating is far wider then yours (and most people on this board). I also see your point and, to some extent, agree with it.

I also agree that one should not judge another's game ethics by whether or not that individuals is "cheating" or "tricking". After all, we are only "tricking" ourselves and no one else when we play!

One thing for sure, I would never judge someone because he cheated by using a third-party editor, Wyv's services, or even if he "tricked" by killing Rumphy or selling arrows. Hell, I've used most of those tricks myself at one point or another to accelerate character development.

The bottom line is after all that we all have fun playing this wonderfull game

Scronan: are you the one that posted the "inn gold cheat" on the Ironworks website back in mid-October? If you are, you beat me by about 20 minutes. I was also debating whether or not to post it

Cheers, and thanks for the clarification!

Ryanamur
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:08 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear Ryanamur,

I wanted to say, just for the record, that your post "made my day" yesterday! There has been little for me to get my teeth into lately, and I got to get on one of my "grand posts." Anyway, I appreciate it, and I appreciate your point of view as well.

I think it all comes down to a matter of semantics. To me, the word "cheat" means something underhanded and filthy that hurts someone. To call me a cheater is like calling me a thief or a liar or a fraud. Other people may not have the same definition. My point was that many people that I know "share" this connotation of the word...that was all.

But once again, thanks for a great session for a debate! We need more out there.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 04:27 PM   #16
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Sazerac: 1 (see above)
Ryanamur: 1 (the mushroom incident)
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 04:39 PM   #17
Thry Cracix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree, most games have areas where you can kill unlimited monsters for exp or get unlimited gold, but most these days also let you play after the game ending is over. Obviously, once you defeated Cet, most adventurers would go back to the inn for a while, maybe with a stop at the tavern for some R&R (if you know what I mean) or maybe go hang out with the nekkid gypsies. My point is that if I can take a one character party through the first time without killing npcs and practically walk through Cet's tomb, the game is slightly unbalanced to begin with. If anyone remembers how hard it was in M&M 6 to clear the Varn Pyramid and then the final battle with the devils, I hope you understand what I mean. Maybe with the experience divided evenly among 6 characters it would have been more difficult, I'm not sure. But I have yet to hear of someone who actually had difficulty in Cet's tomb, other than semantically (i.e. where's the fourth tome). Hopefully the people who design and test these games test them thoroughly. The more I play W&W the more it seems like it was an eleventh hour product.
Thry Cracix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:41 PM   #18
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
One last thing I wanted to point out, then I'll let it go:

Did anyone ever notice that "Rumphy" is an anagram of "Murphy"? Need I say more? (For those veterans of Wizardry 1). Nice little Easter Egg there...and as I said, completely intended by Bradley.

-Sazerac
You know, I never noticed that! I was ever so excited when I found Murphy's Ghost for the first time in Wiz 1 (I actually only really got into Wizardry a few months back on an emulator!) Found him, came back later, found him again, left the room, re-entered he was there, saw the potential, whacked Murphy for about 3 hours, hehe.

I really don't think that killing the gold scorpions is a "cheat" persay. I find it to be a trick (as previously stated). I think, in the end, it comes down to what we, the players, individually decide what cheating is. If we find that things like the gold scorpion trick to be cheating, then it's cheating for the person who decided this, while for another it isn't. If we find exploiting glitches to be cheating, then it's cheating for that particular player, while for others it isn't. It's really all subjective when it comes to a computer game. There aren't any real ground-rules laid down for computer gamers. In board games and sports, there are set rules and if you break the rules, it's cheating. That just isn't so with computer games. The "rules" for a computer game are programmed into the code and it allows you to do some things while it restricts others and if they forgot to put something in, or if something didn't work quite right, that's how it works. This is of course, my own opinion. But then, opinions are what we're really talking about here isn't it?

-Jafin

Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 10:10 PM   #19
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

"Scronan: are you the one that posted the "inn gold cheat" on the Ironworks website back in mid-October? If you are, you beat me by about 20 minutes. I was also debating whether or not to post it "

Ryanamur,

That may have been me! Actually, I posted it on October 4th, just a few days after the game was released. Here is a link I found in the archives:

http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/No...-4-003780.html

I don't think a lot of people saw it at first since it wasn't listed as "inn gold cheat", it was a reply to another post about the 200 dollar per new character trick. But as I figured, others must have found it, it was just too darn easy!

Embarrasing, what language I used then, I guess I was still super excited from the find...heh heh.

I also found this:

http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/No...-4-000001.html

Silly me, I was the first person to post at this forum! See Wyv and Saz, I am a total NERD!

Thanks for a few laughs Ryanamur!

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 12:05 PM   #20
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Topside!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote