Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: DAO NPC alignments and thoughts in general

Morrigan: Chaotic Neutral with selfish tendencies. She also has the social graces of a rock, but considering where and how she was raised, and by whom, well it's not surprising.

Sten: Chaotic Neutral. Anyone is capable of doing something they regret, and if there's one thing that's evident, Sten regrets what he did to wind up in the cage, and did put himself there. You have to passively pursue his story, but once you get him to more than "No.", you'll get a pretty good understanding of what makes him tick. Also, for some insight into Sten, you have to travel with him, and pay attention to Party Banter. Sometimes he will say something random, and you can pursue that in camp.

Alistair: Lawful Whiney, with egotistical tendencies. My patented trademarked invention for DA: O? A self replenishing box of Kleenex. He will lie to your face, and then blame you for it. Well written character, but as a person, I can't stand him, and he is my camp cook simply because I can't get rid of him before the Landsmeet.

Leliana: Chaotic Good. Yes, she killed people for "fun and profit", but she did find a measure of redemption in the Cloister. She wants to get away from that aspect of her life, but she never pretends it didn't happen. She will volunteer information about her past once your approval rating is high enough, unlike another popular NPC, that won't come clean no matter what, until he knows that he's going to be outted anyway. Yes, I'm talking about Alistair.

Wynne: Probably Lawful Good, with preachy tendencies. She was also probably fun at parties, back in the day, based on her and Ohgren's appreciaton for booze.

Ohgren: Chaotic Good. He means well, and will be a solid companion on the road.

Shale: Ultimately, Chaotic Good, with pigeon bashing tendencies. She calls it like she sees it.

Dog: Probably the funniest party member of the group, and he doesn't have any spoken dialog. However, he does have a warped sense of humor, and despite the hate for Morrigan that I've read in other places, Dog loves her. His alignment? Lawful Loyal? He doesn't care what you do, and will back you up 100%.

Zevran: I'd run with Chaotic Neutral, with Lawful tendencies. If you're half nice to him in camp, even if you never take him any where, his crisis moment is a non-issue. He takes an oath, and sticks to it.

I find it difficult to put alignment restrictions on these characters, because, quite frankly, depending on dialog options taken, you can get very different reactions to the same situations from the same NPC. A lot of it is based on how well they like you. Morrigan wins the title of "Queen of all that is evil in Ferelden" on the Bio boards, but really, despite her outlook on some situations, she's not kick a puppy for something to do evil. I could go a lot deeper on my evaluations, but I haven't had enough coffee yet.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Sten: Chaotic Neutral. Anyone is capable of doing something they regret, and if there's one thing that's evident, Sten regrets what he did to wind up in the cage, and did put himself there. You have to passively pursue his story, but once you get him to more than "No.", you'll get a pretty good understanding of what makes him tick. Also, for some insight into Sten, you have to travel with him, and pay attention to Party Banter. Sometimes he will say something random, and you can pursue that in camp.
Agreed. You have to travel with him to pick up clues to his story. Do his personal quest and remain resolute and forthright with him and he becomes your Rock. Very handy in a fight.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Morrigan: Chaotic Neutral with selfish tendencies. She also has the social graces of a rock, but considering where and how she was raised, and by whom, well it's not surprising.
I would certainly prefer her to be unreliable and quixotic than actually Evil. I don't really like being around truly anti-social and sociopathic people/characters.

But the problem is Morrigan doesn't display quixotic or unreliable behaviour. She's just bitchy and comtemptuous of anything you do that doesn't add to your power. I couldn't believe that she wanted me to make the deal with that demon for the Blood Magic specialty!! That REALLY caught me off guard, and was my first clue that she was going to be *difficult*. And then when she made me the "save the Wardens" offer I became convinced she was following a selfish agenda. That's why I chose Neutral Evil. Only in it for the money (in this case, power).

From the ending I get the impression she will be back in the expansion. We'll see what "Old God" power has done to her!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: DAO NPC alignments and thoughts in general--PLOT SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
I said Shale was a hard read for me. I didn't use Wynne much, so missed that banter. And you can't win arguments with Morrigan,,,I've met too many RL folks like her. Just nod your head and do what you were going to do anyway! But I digress...Shale gave me the impression of a creature never meant for free will,,,suddenly being gifted with it. And feeling out his/her boundaries in the new experience of free will. Shale may have talked Chaotic, but never DID anything Chaotic, at least on my watch.
Check my "bowling with Shale thread!

Quote:
I don't mind giving Zevran another chance (what am I going to do with TWO rogues??), it just irked me that when I got him he had NO archery skills. As to his alignment, I think doing things for the sole motivation of money is Neutral Evil. You pays your money and takes your pick.
I agree his skill set is lacking in archery. However, he is very valuable in PC rogue development. I'm withholding due to spoiler possibilities. He has a pretty solid work ethic and oath once you raise his outlook. Understanding his upbringing might change your opinion as well.

Quote:
I don't get what you mean by "I noticed how you gauged Leliana and Alistar, but had a different opinion on the other." I graded them both as overall Good alignment. But there was always, in my mind, a doubt about Leliana. Is/was she really an Orlesian spy? Just waiting for the collapse of Ferelden so Orlei could move in?
Again I'm withholding spoiler possibilities...Have you ever been to the tent?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Again I'm withholding spoiler possibilities...Have you ever been to the tent?
Sorry to be thick here, but are you asking me about romances? I've romanced Leliana and Morrigan. That's all. There is NO chance of any other romances. If I miss that part of the game, then so be it.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Sorry to be thick here, but are you asking me about romances? I've romanced Leliana and Morrigan. That's all. There is NO chance of any other romances. If I miss that part of the game, then so be it.
I fully understand...And won't give away any spoilers...Three NPCs are capable of going to the tent with either type of PC...two of which you appear to think highly of...The third I don't think you are anywhere near aware of...And a good combination of "hardened" NPCs while in Denerim can create a "unique" situation, a specialty unlock, and a game of cards all in one night! Try that @ the Lido Cabe...

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #17
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
I fully understand...And won't give away any spoilers...Three NPCs are capable of going to the tent with either type of PC...two of which you appear to think highly of...The third I don't think you are anywhere near aware of...And a good combination of "hardened" NPCs while in Denerim can create a "unique" situation, a specialty unlock, and a game of cards all in one night! Try that @ the Lido Cabe...
I was aware there were bisexual and menage-a-tois (spelling?) possibilities. I also got to the dialogs where you can "harden" Leliana and Alistair. I succeeded with Leliana (because she was in her drakeskin armor at the coronation, otherwise I was unsure), but I don't know if I succeeded with Alistair. I'm assuming I did because when I left Loghain's fate to Alistair, he beheaded him. Although he was merciful to Anora and only imprisoned her. I would never have done this. To be a medieval monarch you cannot let close rivals live, ESPECIALLY one that preceded you and was somewhat popular. Plus she threw me under the bus with Ser Cauthrien.

I have the DAO Prima game guide. But I use it for the maps, so I don't miss an area. I don't use it for dialog options, but I do use it for "detail" stuff such as what is needed for crafting and, in this game, the Gift Guide. There was NO WAY I was going to trial-and-error gifting when someone as hot a Morrigan was at stake!

Anyway, I liked Morrigan and Leliana. Alistair was naive, almost through the entire game. I was unsure whether he was "getting it" up until he killed Loghain. Then I thought 'Finally, he realizes a crown is at stake,,, took him long enough.' I liked traveling with Sten and Shale. I probably would have liked Oghren more except I did the Dwaves last, so I didn't have him for most of the game.

For a second run it looks like rogue may be the way to go. They look like you can make them seriously overpowered, and almost a thief/mage multiclass because of all the bombs and grenades that can be crafted. And I REALLY liked Arrow of Slaying!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
I would certainly prefer her to be unreliable and quixotic than actually Evil. I don't really like being around truly anti-social and sociopathic people/characters.

But the problem is Morrigan doesn't display quixotic or unreliable behaviour. She's just bitchy and comtemptuous of anything you do that doesn't add to your power. I couldn't believe that she wanted me to make the deal with that demon for the Blood Magic specialty!! That REALLY caught me off guard, and was my first clue that she was going to be *difficult*. And then when she made me the "save the Wardens" offer I became convinced she was following a selfish agenda. That's why I chose Neutral Evil. Only in it for the money (in this case, power).

From the ending I get the impression she will be back in the expansion. We'll see what "Old God" power has done to her!
Here's the kicker, send her into the Fade to save the boy. I think you'll be marginally surprised.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote