Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-25-2001, 10:06 PM   #1
deathknight
Drow Warrior

I have played the game through a few times and I decided I want to try a multi player game out to do several different character combos at once. My problem was if I tried to play the game as I tend to do in single player I was having problems pausing. It seems like pause works great in single player. It instantly pauses the game when you hit the space bar without fail. Even in a multi player game that has only me involved the pause key has some delay or doesn't take at all. This sorta spoiled my fun doing the multi so i stopped. Is there some way to take care of this issue? has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2001, 10:51 PM   #2
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Not tring to make you look dumb but have you tried cleaning your
keyboard I play multi-player all the time and only had this problem
once. I had enough dust under the keys to fill a bag of holding.
The best way to clean it is to buy a can of compressed air at Radio
Shack or most computer stores carry it and blow the dust out. Make
sure you wear eye protection because dust flys everywhere at high speed
and the last thing I'd want to happen to a fellow GATE crasher is for
Him/Her to be blinded hope this helps.

------------------
The Blade Makes The Man
The Man Made The Blade
Death To All That Stand
In Their Way! BEWARE ALL!
Old 08-25-2001, 10:55 PM   #3
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Heh trust me its not my keyboard. My keyboard is only like 3 weeks old. 100% without a doubt there is a huge difference for me when I try to pause in multi player compared to when I am in single player. Its like there is a slight delay befoer the pause takes effect (which I could understand in a networked game with other people but when I am the only person in the game it makes no sense).

I have just played a single player game for several hours with no issue. I try a multi player and same thing as before. If I hit pause it usually pauses. If I immediatly after hit pause again to unpause it does not. I hit it again still does not. Hit it again and then maybe it will unpause. It seems like it needs a good length delay between keypresses or it does not register.

[This message has been edited by deathknight (edited 08-25-2001).]
Old 08-25-2001, 11:11 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I never had this problem, but a very simple solution is to copy and/or move the last saved game from your mpsave folder to the plain old save folder and then load as a single player game.

The only reason you need multi player (other than playing multiple players) is to add more than one "player" character. Once you have the desired team and save, you can just move the saved game from the mpsave folder to the regular save folder and play using single player mode.

I realize this doesn't answer the question you asked, but (a wise man once said) often the solution is much simpler than the problem...

If you have any questions email me
Old 08-25-2001, 11:30 PM   #5
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Wow thanks ronn_bman. As you said that does not fix the issue but all I really wanted was to try out a game with more than 1 character of my own creation and this should work perfectly. I haven't played a true multi player game in a while so its no big deal if I cannot resolve the pausing issue
Old 08-25-2001, 11:51 PM   #6
Darkman

It's not just you deathknight. I experience the same unresponsive pausing when playing in MP mode. It's like I have to press the space bar 2 or 3 times for it to actually pause the game. That's why I only play SP now, that and playing with the NPC's makes the game more interesting for me. Although maybe I should look into copying the MP files to the SP folder... Thanks for the tip Ronn_Bman!
Old 08-26-2001, 12:37 AM   #7
Starkiller
The Magister

Yah, I have this problem too, and that is a great solution. I didn't know you could do that. I think the pause lag has something to do with the computer thinking there are multiple computers to syncronize, but I could be wrong
Old 08-26-2001, 02:29 AM   #8
HooC
The Magister

Oh bloody hell, I still haven't figured out how to create all 6 characters