Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
WoodyG666
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was just wondering if any of you have ever been exchange students?
I am currently on exchange in Canada and i am having a hard time fitting in, any of you have any of ideas to help me? Input, as usual is always welcome.
Thankyou. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
ryaldin
Elminster

I'm an exchange student right this very minute, in a tiny Irish city called Coleraine. Well, actually, I live in Portrush, but the University is in Coleraine. I've been here since I flew out from Montana on *gasp* Sept. 11th last year. Actually, it's been really exciting living here, although, it is a little bit depressing to be 4180 miles from home during christmas and new years. The most amazing thing though, is that I've forced myself to come out of my shell this year. I've met Spanish students, Germans, Italians, Belgians, Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Scottish, English, Kenyan, Indian and Australians here, and some of them have become the best of friends to me. It's all about attitude, woddyg666 (you just had to make your name complicated, didn't you? ). I'm usually a shy quiet person, and while I still retain much of my shyness and quietness, I dont sit back and let everything pass me by. I use my individuality as my ally, and let my life spill over into others' lives. It makes for a very fulfilling experience. I hope you have a good time in Canada. If you're anywhere near Montana, stop in a say hello for me. Good luck! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by WoodyG666:
I was just wondering if any of you have ever been exchange students?
I am currently on exchange in Canada and i am having a hard time fitting in, any of you have any of ideas to help me? Input, as usual is always welcome.
Thankyou. [img]smile.gif[/img]
You have a hard time fitting in? Where in Canada are you? I can imagine you are used to a different climate but I hope everyone is making their best to make you feel welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I studied in both Sweden and the US, the latter doesn't really count does it? I really wanted to go study in Russia but my university didn't have the connections.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:01 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I did two study abroad trips of 4 months each and I remember it was tough at first. Everything is different from the food to the transportation and classes and around holidays it's hard not to feel homesick.

I think what helped me the first time and really stuck with me was when I had a wonderful conversation with an older woman on the street who was just overjoyed that anyone would come to study in her country. It was so genuine and sweet, I started to look at things from a whole new perspective and wasn't nearly as homesick after that.

Not sure what it is that's making you feel like you don't fit in, but maybe talking to people, participating in various events that come and the like, would help you feel part of things?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

I have not had the pleasure of being an exchange student... yet. I do plan to study in New Zealand eventually, but that will take me some time still.

Been to South Africa though [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

Once you get past the language barrier you should be okay.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-12-2004, 10:17 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

[img]tongue.gif[/img] Hands Donut his coat....
Old 02-12-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmmm.... Why are you having a hard time fitting in? I know it can be hard for many young people even when they move to a new school in a new town. You have moved to a new country on the other side of the world. However I expect it just may be an age thing. In the adult world (over 20), I find Australians and Canadians to be very similar. I have met quite a few Australians and I have never met any that I didn't like, I find them very similar, and the accent thing is minor coming from the east coast were every town has its own accent.

Meeting new friends can be hard so it may be more about meeting new people than actually fitting in, some people are born here, live here most of there lives and have a hard time fitting in, it comes down to finding people with similar interest. In Calgary there is enough Australians that they have a club and get together every month or so, I was once invited to a party that they had, good party.

[ 02-12-2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 02-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Once you get past the language barrier you should be okay.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
[img]tongue.gif[/img] Hands Donut his coat....
hehe, very subtle Cloudy
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-13-2004, 03:08 AM   #10
spydar

never been in a new school (lived in the same room from age 3 to 18) except uni, and never really been out of the country....poor me...