Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 08:37 AM   #1
SillySorcerer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I played BG1 all the way through three times. The last time through I made a gentleman's agreement with myself to let characters die-- If a party member could not be resurrected, then I had to say goodbye to them. It was tough seeing Imoen, Khalid, and Minsc get obilterated, but it was also fun because it forced me to use other characters like Xan, Dynahir, and Vaconia. It also added some extra importance (and fun) to the battles.

I am deep into my first run through BG2-SoA, now, and am finding the difficulty level to be quite a bit steeper than it was in BG1. My "hard core" rules just don't seem to be practical since I am frequently getting my little six pack slaughtered. I am totally into the "get killed/reload/try again" routine. It takes a bit of the tension out of the battles, but I am sure I would be out of PCs by the middle of chapter three if I were to do otherwise. How about you? Do you ever let a party member die? Or do you always reload?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Welcome to Ironworks [img]smile.gif[/img]

it is worth trying i reckon as fights with 'stakes' are much more exciting - in SoA you get 'abilities' to do resurrection in the field rather than jsut temples so i'm trying to stick to the rule that i won't reload for a death - i haven't had an irreversible death yet in my current game - should be interesing if i do . . .

for a discussion on your chosen ethics do a search on "no reloads" - go and have a go if you think you're hard enough
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:59 AM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Welcome to IW! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

I don` just let them die. I always try to keep them alive. But some of us(Me and Alson) did finish SoA on Insane and Tactics without Reloads. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
SillySorcerer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
some of us(Me and Alson) did finish SoA on Insane and Tactics without Reloads.
That is really cool that you were able to do that. But what is "Tactics"?
Old 09-22-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by SillySorcerer:
quote:
some of us(Me and Alson) did finish SoA on Insane and Tactics without Reloads.
That is really cool that you were able to do that. But what is "Tactics"? [/QUOTE] Tactics Mod is very special. It makes many battels much heavier and it is not for un-experienced players...
So if you are not a veteran don`t install it. It may cause that you will start to hate BG II. Especially Jon Boy`s dungeon. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:

I don` just let them die. I always try to keep them alive. But some of us(Me and Alson) did finish SoA on Insane and Tactics without Reloads. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
He'll be bragging about this for the rest of his days, guess he has a right though

First of all, Welcome to the Ironworks SS [img]graemlins/music01.gif[/img]

I never let my prized characters die, I'm too stubborn to do that kind of thing [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:55 AM   #7
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I let some characters die *cough* Anomen and Aerie *cough* I want you 2 to go in and kill every creature in that dungeon, including the dragon... good luck.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:20 AM   #8
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
quote:

He'll be bragging about this for the rest of his days, guess he has a right though
[/QUOTE]Heh, but he actually didn't do it ...
He failed with Jon-Bon.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:22 AM   #9
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

You know that little Cleric's spell called "Death WArd"? It'll be your friend if you don't reload for deaths. [img]smile.gif[/img]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:51 AM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
You know that little Cleric's spell called "Death WArd"? It'll be your friend if you don't reload for deaths. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yes and i use it many times. Dwarf with a Vorpal Sword(Tactics Mod) is one good case.