Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #51
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
I thought this might bring levity to this big honking tax discussion.
Love it.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #52
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
I thought this might bring levity to this big honking tax discussion.
Ok...I give up. It's a neat poster, but I just don't get the punchline/message.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #53
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Trick or Treat Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
^_-
Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #54
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

I'm gonna say the idea is to highlight all the 'niceties' that taxes pay for, making things safer for the protestors calling for zero, or reduced taxes.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #55
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

I crunched the numbers on a different board and concluded that the average person complaining "the taxes are too high" really don't pay a heck of a lot in tax and that a small increase in the fundamental rate wouldn't raise the actual dollar amount they pay by much at all.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #56
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
I'm gonna say the idea is to highlight all the 'niceties' that taxes pay for, making things safer for the protestors calling for zero, or reduced taxes.
That's the idea I came away with.

I would like to point out that while I'm laughing at the pic, and in agreement with the idea, phone lines and electric lines are not maintained by the government. I think they even stopped regulating them some time ago?

Last edited by robertthebard; 10-03-2011 at 08:19 AM.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #57
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Phone and electric lines are owned and maintained by the service providers; they are only regulated by city, State, and/or Federal governments. This rules out "power for traffic light" and "electric lines" as being paid for by taxes. Every other item mentioned in the picture comes from local taxes, primarly property and sales tax revenue and the folks in the picture are, presumably, arguing against Federal taxes.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #58
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

But don't taxes pay for the power? Like, footing the electro bill for city traffic lights etc.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #59
Azred
Drow Priestess

Yes, the city has to pay for the power it uses...which comes from local taxes, not Federal. I'm certain that some Federal money trickles into cities and they'll use some of it, but the vast majority of their budget comes from local taxes.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #60
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, which we know from watching the local news that most cities do indeed use federal taxes as well as local. It's in the Caller Times every so often, but it seems like it's application-based.

But anyways, those signs don't say "No More Federal Taxes". Which if they did, that would be a totally different ballgame in my book. And if they do mean federal taxes only then why aren't they making that clear? My fave one is the "Cut Taxes Not Defense" one.