Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-24-2001, 08:16 PM   #11
SecretMaster
Apophis

yeah, my very first game, no cheats was Jorlon a paladin. His original stats were 18/59, str, 18con, 18dex,12int,16wis,18char. With the tomes, he had 19str,19con,19dex,13int,18wis,19char. He was good, but then i accidently saved my bard game over him. So i imported him from the beginning, used cheats to make him normal levels, and normal party and items, and made it just in time for Tob. The morale of this story... I have no clue

------------------
Tis your lives to waste
-Drizzt do Urden
Old 10-24-2001, 08:41 PM   #12
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Yeah I dont think you can compare jesus with the character in this game, because in that comparison the guy in this game would be the son of the devil, not the son of a benevolent god.

------------------
"They come in the dark. Always in the dark..."
Old 10-24-2001, 08:53 PM   #13
Burrtoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I use it from time to time. When creating a character, I know what I want my stats to be. So instead of rolling for an hour to get a 90 or so, I change them as I see fit. I think the highest I ever actually rolled was a 96. My current character has a 91. All of my characters would pass a "Legit" test though, I just don't like clicking Reroll until my finger falls off.

I use it to change portraits, skin, and hair color. Sometimes I max out party NPC hit points (ie. giving Aerie 4hp per cleric level and 2hp per mage level). I suppose purists would call that cheating, but it doesn't ruin my fun in the least and I don't play multi. However, I won't boost stats or hp to higher than normal, import powerful weapons/armor, or do anything that would seriously affect game balance.

The Toe
Old 10-24-2001, 09:13 PM   #14
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Never use any of the cheats. The game just gets boring and you'll never learn to play the game properly. If your character was supposed to have 25 in everything then you should have been able to attain that normally. Same with weapons and such like. If you don't earn the weapon its pointless using it cause you havn't earned it. Same with adding XP points. Your just spoiling the game for yourself and you'll never be as good as you could be. Personally I don't even have the Debug mode=1 cheat on so I can't use it. Its much mroe satifying to play that way I found.

Warby
Old 10-24-2001, 09:29 PM   #15
daeomer
Manshoon

You can obviously play it anyway that you want.... BUT I just feel that you take away the challenge and a lot of the skill if you pump up your stats or give them weapons before you get them. It makes the game less interesting. I would much rather have my relatively weak archer and have pretty exciting, barely able to survive battles than just cruise through. I played the old gold box AD&D computer games with and without pumped stats and it was definitely more satisfying to play with the less powerful characters. It took more time but it was fun to develop strategies etc. to help win. To each their own though and I don't think it's wrong to cheat..... just less enjoyable overall.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:08 PM   #16
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Well, here's my two cents (if anyone cares to listen...):
I figure, many of the othe Bhaalspawn have unique powers, so why not the PC? Logically speaking, why would so many of Bhaal's children have above normal abilities while the PC is just some Joe off the street? I guess you just have to say that the PC's inherited "power" is his/her tremendous willpower and perserverance in the face of superior foes...
On the topic of stats, I seem to recall that 11-13 is about average, so having a character with nothing below 15 is certainly "above average". The one cheat that I think I would accept is giving a single, decent weapon to the PC. After all, there are a number of NPCs with unique weapons that only THEY can use. Why let the NPCs be the only ones with cool equipment? Give yourself a nice (BALANCED) sword, but normal armour, etc. It won't give you too much of an edge, but lets you create a cooler background ("I smite thee with the enchanted sword of my father!!")
Old 10-24-2001, 10:12 PM   #17
Aenlron_TrueSword
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Arnabas has a point. but I just want to play the game not cheat. Just act like it was you. BE HONORABLE

------------------
Aenlron TrueSword
Human Cavalier
Old 10-24-2001, 10:31 PM   #18
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

well, i look at it like this. i think that its pretty crappy that i was imprisoned by a power-hungry ex-elf hasbeen. and it seems that of all of my equipment, stuff that i didnt actually use was left in its stead. my shadow armor? i beat the damn game with it, and all of a sudden, a thief FAR from candlekeep ends up with it. what im getting at is, i earn it, i lose it, i earn it again. wtf is that about? i agree that you shouldnt leave irenicus' dungeon with crom fayer or something like that. but to have say a HIGH stat (just one) wouldnt be too bad. i mean, yeah, EVERY other bhaalspawn has badass abilities. i wish I could turn into a damn dragon. game balance? its pretty one sided to talk about game balance when its completely unbalanced in the first place. the only npc's worth a damn are minsc, jaheira, and keldorn. half of the crap you fight could take on all of those characters. irenicus does. i am the son of the god of murder. i need at least SOMETHING to show for it, instead of a gay ass slayer change, which i NEVER voluntarily use anyhow. if im a mage, i think a high dex would be nice, with a high intelligence. i mean, what am i, the runt of the bhaalspawn litter? hell no. im the protaganist of a badass game, its based on ME, and what I do. so i should be a badass. Hercules, Superman, any of the X-men, they all have badass abilities as heroes in fantasy settings. and so shall i. it isnt overbalanced to have a high stat or two. my whole party isnt that way, not even my WHOLE party of characters of my makeing. only my MAIN character is a badass. so yes, as long as it isnt TOO much, then it is ok. hell, im gonna keep nothing but my name in NWN apparantly, so im gonna have fun while i can. i doubt ill even GET NWN because of that reason, who knows >shrugs<
anywho, ive rambled on long enough.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Old 10-24-2001, 10:57 PM   #19
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
well, i look at it like this. i think that its pretty crappy that i was imprisoned by a power-hungry ex-elf hasbeen. and it seems that of all of my equipment, stuff that i didnt actually use was left in its stead. my shadow armor? i beat the damn game with it, and all of a sudden, a thief FAR from candlekeep ends up with it. what im getting at is, i earn it, i lose it, i earn it again. wtf is that about? i agree that you shouldnt leave irenicus' dungeon with crom fayer or something like that. but to have say a HIGH stat (just one) wouldnt be too bad. i mean, yeah, EVERY other bhaalspawn has badass abilities. i wish I could turn into a damn dragon. game balance? its pretty one sided to talk about game balance when its completely unbalanced in the first place. the only npc's worth a damn are minsc, jaheira, and keldorn. half of the crap you fight could take on all of those characters. irenicus does. i am the son of the god of murder. i need at least SOMETHING to show for it, instead of a gay ass slayer change, which i NEVER voluntarily use anyhow. if im a mage, i think a high dex would be nice, with a high intelligence. i mean, what am i, the runt of the bhaalspawn litter? hell no. im the protaganist of a badass game, its based on ME, and what I do. so i should be a badass. Hercules, Superman, any of the X-men, they all have badass abilities as heroes in fantasy settings. and so shall i. it isnt overbalanced to have a high stat or two. my whole party isnt that way, not even my WHOLE party of characters of my makeing. only my MAIN character is a badass. so yes, as long as it isnt TOO much, then it is ok. hell, im gonna keep nothing but my name in NWN apparantly, so im gonna have fun while i can. i doubt ill even GET NWN because of that reason, who knows >shrugs<
anywho, ive rambled on long enough.

You should go ahead and get NWN dude I'm sure there will be plenty of servers that don't require you to be "vault approved" for the simple fact that so many of us have BG characters that we've developed through hundreds of hours of play.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:58 PM   #20
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
Yeah I dont think you can compare jesus with the character in this game, because in that comparison the guy in this game would be the son of the devil, not the son of a benevolent god.

i'm not sure who compared a character to Jesus.... I said godlike as in the gods of the realms we are playing in, major difference there