Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

Default Planescape: Torment

Could you let me know what you think of this game?
Cheers

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

Default Re: Planescape: Torment

Excellent storyline, conversations and music.
Outdated graphics and interface.
Unless you're being charged a fortune, get it and play it

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

frustrating to find your way into and progress* with the result that (for me) it's on the shelf somewhere

* i fully accept that this is 'my fault'
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
Target
Red Dragon

I've really enjoyed replaying Wiz 8, is this anything like it?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Thumbs Up Re: Planescape: Torment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target View Post
I've really enjoyed replaying Wiz 8, is this anything like it?
Nope, If anything it is similar to BG but it is hard to compare the two. It would be like comparing apples and oranges but they are still both sweet fruit. As for my thoughts what Legolas said. It may be a little hard to get into at first but if you don't give up, you will be rewarded.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Planescape to BG is like a piece of literature compared to a fantasy novel. The latter tries to make you have fun by placing you in a world where you're the hero, the former is a work in which philosophical themes play an immensely big role and where you have to think about what's being said and what you'll be doing. Where choices in BG are obvious (good/evil), choices in PS:T are not always so obvious, and will lead to sensible consequences.

Most strikingly, the main theme is very different, and I think this is what is the most important factor deciding whether you'll like PS:T or not. PS:T is you as the Nameless One in a world you do not know, trying to find what you are doing there and who you actually are. Throughout the game you'll find out a lot about who tNO is, and it is this which must motivate you to keep playing. That said, the beginning is a bit slow, and the game only really gets going once you have access to the Lower/Clerk's Ward. In the start, feel free to opt either for doing a bit of quests to get into the dialogue centered nature of the game, or try to hurry trough the first part until you unlock the two Wards. The game is less about your stats and more about what dialogue options you pick.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thumbs Up Re: Planescape: Torment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrKASperov View Post
Planescape to BG is like a piece of literature compared to a fantasy novel. The latter tries to make you have fun by placing you in a world where you're the hero, the former is a work in which philosophical themes play an immensely big role and where you have to think about what's being said and what you'll be doing. Where choices in BG are obvious (good/evil), choices in PS:T are not always so obvious, and will lead to sensible consequences.

Most strikingly, the main theme is very different, and I think this is what is the most important factor deciding whether you'll like PS:T or not. PS:T is you as the Nameless One in a world you do not know, trying to find what you are doing there and who you actually are. Throughout the game you'll find out a lot about who tNO is, and it is this which must motivate you to keep playing. That said, the beginning is a bit slow, and the game only really gets going once you have access to the Lower/Clerk's Ward. In the start, feel free to opt either for doing a bit of quests to get into the dialogue centered nature of the game, or try to hurry trough the first part until you unlock the two Wards. The game is less about your stats and more about what dialogue options you pick.
Well written bro.

Planescape: Torment is one of my favourite games of all time. Brilliantly done.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
dplax
Jack Burton

It's also quite hard/expensive to find if you want it legally...if you want it illegally of course it's very easy. I asked around a couple months back and it seems that no publisher in Europe has the title anymore.

Which basically leaves eBay, where from what I've seen the game goes for 40-50 euros, which is about the price of a new game...
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

But hot dang, that's still worth it.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
dplax
Jack Burton

I'll have to take your word on that. Having been a student until the end of June (meaning no money) and not wanting to download it the "easy way" I haven't tried the game yet.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote