Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2001, 05:45 PM   #1
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

How is the weather in England in October?

I've been trying to plan a trip to England all year long, and the timing hasn't been right, for one reason or another. Doh! The year is fast running out, and I still haven't gone

About the only time left in my schedule that might work this year is a period in early-mid October, but I've heard that the weather is terrible that time of year. At least the air line rates are cheaper then (well, at least they were -- don't know what might happen with the rates as a result of the lastest tragedies and increased security measures).

For whatever it's worth, I don't mind rain at all. In fact, I love clouds and rain.

I am also a nature lover, and would love to tour the beautiful English countryside again, maybe go up to the Lake District. Will the leaves already be off the trees in England at that time, or not?

Are the castles and other things of that sort still open to tourists that time of year?

Just curious. Any thoughts/insights from any of you English people (or non-English, for that matter) would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:49 PM   #2
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

The leaves tend to be far mor ecolourful in November but they are staring to turn in October.

As for the weather - unpredictable. Wet, windy and blustery or crystal clear but cool days - and most things in between.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:52 PM   #3
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
The leaves tend to be far mor ecolourful in November but they are staring to turn in October.

That late? I am surprised but pleased. England is so far north and all -- must be the Gulf Stream again
Old 09-13-2001, 06:25 PM   #4
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

That late? I am surprised but pleased. England is so far north and all -- must be the Gulf Stream again
Actually, October can be quite lovely, it was last year, it even got quite hot for a week! (Don't quote me on that, - that doesn't mean it WILL be nice, just that there is potential....

Autumn is always fantastic, anyway, even if it's rainy. Kicking through leaves, smelling that rainy smell, feeling the poignancy that autumn brings - watching the birds doing that swoopy uncertain thing they do when they're getting ready to leave but not quite sure if they should go for it or not.....

So yes, (wakes with a start) autumn in England is fab!

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 06:31 PM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Ooh, just saw the last bit of your post...

Castles and things. Um um um..... I think most of them should still be open, - the best thing would be to go on the net and find out. If you have a problem finding out about something you specially want to see on the net, just email me, and I will call them for you.

In Brighton, there is the Pavilion! That is certainly worth seeing, the weirdest building EVER.... all minarets and what not. Built by the Prince Regent who was consumed with a passion for all things Indian and Chinese. It's an interesting mixture. Queen Victoria thought both it and Brighton were vulgar, and sold the palace to the town of Brighton.

Bet you really wanted to know all that, didn't you Being able to type really fast is a bit of a bugger, my fingers have got stuff down on screen before my brain knows what they're up to. Shall have to come up with some kind of finger restraint, in preparation for those tactful moments......

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 06:49 PM   #6
Lord Shield

Onthe other hand we also can get los of raiandhigh winds in October - the infamous October winds of '86 blew cars around

you could be lucky this year though

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site

Old 09-13-2001, 06:51 PM   #7
The_ Fur_Cough
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It can also be warm too. Apparently we're in for an "Indian summer", or so I heard on the radio.

------------------
Aaahh.... Fur Cough.
Old 09-14-2001, 07:38 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

if you don't like the weather when you get here don't worry - wait 30 minutes and it'll change.

You will ahve plenty of space if you visit the Lake District. There has been a dramatic fall in visitors since the Foot & Mouth crisis started. I think some of the lowland paths are open but the hifh fells are still closed.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-14-2001, 08:36 AM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

COLD!! As in Holland + COLD!!!

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Old 09-14-2001, 03:00 PM   #10
Vampire

It's actually good today, gets dark at 2000, and awfully windy and the wind chill needs good trench coats!

------------------