Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 09-30-2000, 04:09 PM   #1
Vadim

Hi everybody!

First of all I think this is very good game, but I have few graphic issues like some other people here, so I would like to know is it the same for everyone, or just for lucky fews such as myself.
In the software render mode everything looks great other that some pixelation of the picture, but this is something to be expected from software renderer of course. But in D3D 1024x768 I have number of problems.

1. Most important and annoying is that almost everything in the Crypt looks green or greenish.
The water is dark green (in the soft. renderer mode it looks fine, nice blue color), walls in the distance are green, even ropes over broken bridge are green. etc.

2. Illumination problem(again only in the crypt, averything above the ground level looks fine so far). I have most powerfull Sun spell("Illuminate", manuel state that this is equel of daylight. ) I can still navigate in the dungeon Ok, means that I can see walls, doors, etc fine, but everything is very dark and colorless(mostly shadows of gray/brown/black). I almost got used to it and didn't noticed it from the begining, but than I read some message from guy who claimed to have similar problems and I decided to make experiment and try Software Renderer mode. Guys, I was SHOCKED! ( no kiding). Try to do it yourself, save your game near some big, nicely rendered monster in the Crypt( like mad transformed necromanser for example, or under the water near big pirannie, or just near the water) and than switch to the Software mode, exit the game (to dersktop), and that load your saved game.
You will notice HUGE difference. (remember to use torchlight or Illuminate spell before you save). Pirannies have COLORS(!), bright red, blue, green scales, etc. Dungeon is bright and clear, all this menacing shadowes of monsters actually have a lot of colors too, water is bright blue, and you can see much better in the dungeon and in the water! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH D3D?!?

So now I have a terrible decision to made. Like I said I think the game is great and I am going to finish it no matter what, but what should I do? Run it in Software mode( the graphic is ok, but D3D 1024x768 is much better from texture point of view, just look at the tourch on the wall in the dungeon or at any monster)? Or forget about colors and lighting underground and run in D3D? Or switch between these two modes every time I enter the dungeoin? Or wait for the patch? ( don't know if I could live through this, hehe)

Ok, bottom line - if you have any suggestions technical or not PLEASE let me know! Also for you guys who like myself run it in D3D try to do similar experiment ( read above) and post your results here. If this is the problem vith my videocard I would gladly buy another one just to experince this game at full. ( I was big fan of Crusaders of Dark Savant, it was a long wait... )

Ok, technical info about my comp:
Annihilator 2 32MB ( NVidio Geforce 2 chipset)
Sound Blaster Live!
256MB of memory
Windows 98
Pentium 3 933 Mhz

Yes, I installed DirectX 7a or whatever drivers form W&W CD, and yes I have new drivers from Nvideo ( Detonator 3 drivers)

And finnaly - plea to the developers - please tell me - is these issues with D3D are normal for the game or there were none of the when you tested it on your computers? If not than please tell me what videocard your were using and I'll go and buy myself it, tha game IMHO worth it.

My email is vad@pacbell.net

Thanks to everyone who read through this long message and I'll be waiting for your response.

Vadim

Old 10-01-2000, 08:47 PM   #2
Damballah

Try using the Detonator version 5.12 drivers. Im running in 1024x768 D3D on a prophet II gts just fine using the 5.12's. Ive read in other places that the detonator 3's are unstable anyway.

Old 10-01-2000, 08:50 PM   #3
Damballah

That should be 5.22 not 5.12 Sorry about that.