Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2002, 07:16 PM   #21
Loup Garou
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:
There is a saying I believe to be pertinent here: Only believe half of what you hear and treat half of that as hearsay and with a grain of salt.

I agree, with you on that point.

Often wonder, if things that were really important would get taken care of. If the Media, would report on health care or education. Instead of showing the negitive responces.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:03 PM   #22
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Azred, I was referring to media. Not to take away from your acheivement, of course [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I know. The media hypes this sort of thing up because of a few bad examples that do unfortunately happen. On the other hand, I think most of those folks who get into disastrous situations or relationships which arise from the Internet would most likely have gotten into the same trouble without it.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:36 PM   #23
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Azred:

I know. The media hypes this sort of thing up because of a few bad examples that do unfortunately happen. On the other hand, I think most of those folks who get into disastrous situations or relationships which arise from the Internet would most likely have gotten into the same trouble without it.

Perfect way of summing it up Azred.

But one must wonder what we do about it?
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 03-02-2002, 03:30 AM   #24
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I've had drinks and discussion while gazing at a killer view of Sydney Harbour with Memnoch.

I've had a Cider and great discussion with Donut (son of Donut).

I've stayed with Moiraine and her family, shared fine food fine wine and much conversation, while receiving such generosity from two of the most generous open people I've met.

I've stayed with Stealthy and his wife and seen areas of Scotland I never would have otherwise seen, again having wonderful conversation.

I've stayed with Melusine and Sebastian, and ambled down an Amsterdam canal on a barge in deep discussion with an enthralling individual.

I've played cricket, drunk cider, conversed, watched films, gamed and had a rollicking time with Nick and Slackerboy in Tennesee. I even shot a gun for the first time in my life.

I've conversed on the phone with Cloudy, Wendy and Reeka, and found each wonderful human beings whom I'll eventually meet.

I can wholeheartedly say that the internet was a place where I met people who enriched my life. Where real friendships were forged that would never have been formed otherwise.

With each new person I took the risk that there could have been a negative situation. I was a stranger in a strange land in every case except with Memnoch. However as Stealthy put it. There were plenty of witnesses. More so than when I went to a new musician friends house today. Meeting new people entails risk. Heck, I met a woman on a plane when I went to England last year, and she invited me to her house to stay. Way more risky than someone you converse with over time online. For her and me.

It worked out fine.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 03-02-2002, 10:43 AM   #25
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
But one must wonder what we do about it?

We? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] We?

"We", both the community here on IronWorks and my own cozy little community at home, will do nothing except enjoy the fine company which we have come to know. I see no reason to even bother responding when someone says "the Internet is full of lurking closet molesters" or some such nonsense; instead, I just [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] and move on.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-02-2002, 04:12 PM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I've had drinks and discussion while gazing at a killer view of Sydney Harbour with Memnoch.

I've had a Cider and great discussion with Donut (son of Donut).

I've stayed with Moiraine and her family, shared fine food fine wine and much conversation, while receiving such generosity from two of the most generous open people I've met.

I've stayed with Stealthy and his wife and seen areas of Scotland I never would have otherwise seen, again having wonderful conversation.

I've stayed with Melusine and Sebastian, and ambled down an Amsterdam canal on a barge in deep discussion with an enthralling individual.

I've played cricket, drunk cider, conversed, watched films, gamed and had a rollicking time with Nick and Slackerboy in Tennesee. I even shot a gun for the first time in my life.

I've conversed on the phone with Cloudy, Wendy and Reeka, and found each wonderful human beings whom I'll eventually meet.

I can wholeheartedly say that the internet was a place where I met people who enriched my life. Where real friendships were forged that would never have been formed otherwise.

With each new person I took the risk that there could have been a negative situation. I was a stranger in a strange land in every case except with Memnoch. However as Stealthy put it. There were plenty of witnesses. More so than when I went to a new musician friends house today. Meeting new people entails risk. Heck, I met a woman on a plane when I went to England last year, and she invited me to her house to stay. Way more risky than someone you converse with over time online. For her and me.

It worked out fine.

Nice post dear Bard, very nice. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy
Old 03-03-2002, 12:08 AM   #27
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've been pretty lucky, meeting wonderful people over the Internet.
However, I think there's no harm in being cautious when getting to know people whom I do not have face-to-face contact with. I'll share my secrets, thoughts and experiences with anyone, when I feel comfortable doing so - regardless of whether he or she is an Internet or RL friend.

As for what others think about Internet friendships, I wouldn't bother too much over their views. Obviously, they mean well, but they may not be familiar with the actual circumstances of the friendship, since they are not in the same situation as myself.