Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-20-2001, 05:48 PM   #1
Avenger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

are there any pure clerics in the game? im kind of a newbie to BGII and i could use a good (or evil) cleric. a cleric/thief would be even better but i'll settle for a cleric w/out the thieving skills.
thanks in ad
vance
Old 03-20-2001, 06:00 PM   #2
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

In my opinion, a new player can't beat starting out with a Cleric lead character, despite limited weapons skills. Remember, your Cleric will get some VERY good offensive spells! S/he is not just a healer/protector! (Though a good healer or two is essential!) Having a Cleric is as good as having a Mage, though the spell balance is different. Be careful in character creation to make sure that the Abilities total score is 90+ so that you can allocate a lot of points to strength & constitution as well as wisdom...
F.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:03 PM   #3
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The only pure Cleric in the game is Viconia - Evil alignment. Unless you create your own, of course!
F.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:17 PM   #4
Epona
Zartan

I am a bit confused as to the use of a cleric/thief - as a cleric can only use blunt weapons how can they backstab (which is IMHO the most useful thing a thief can do - you can do most other things with spells).

I have never played a Cleric/thief for the above reason, which seems to be a major shortcoming.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:20 PM   #5
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I could very easily be wrong, but I think in BG2 the backstab can be made with almost anything right? It is the element of surprise that gets you the bonus. Couldn't you "backstab" with a mace? I have never tried a cleric/thief, but if you can' backstab, that would be a huge limitation.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:20 PM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

an assasin/cleric sounds fun! though you cannot back stab, you can still poison your weapon! or swash/cleric
Old 03-20-2001, 06:22 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

you can only use the following type of weapons to backstab:

dagger
short sword
long sword
scimitar
katana
Old 03-20-2001, 10:05 PM   #8
Desuma_Malevois

Actually, a thief can also backstab with a quarterstaff or a club - essentially it can be done with any melee weapon that a thief can use. I know because I'm running a half-orc cleric/thief (19 STR!) through Irenicus' dungeon right now, and his favorite tactic is to sneak up on those helpless little mephits and "bash dere widdle heads in" with his staff.

As a side note, here's a little trick I've discovered for fighter/thief or cleric/thief characters that I've never seen documented anywhere. Carry a suit of heavy armor with you, say plate mail. Now sneak up on your target by using the thief's stealth ability and pause the game just before you backstab. Change into the heavy armor (it's allowed as long as combat hasn't been initiated), return to the game, and backstab. You will still get the increased damage bonus!

Old 03-21-2001, 12:06 AM   #9
white heron
Manshoon

Hehe! I like that! Scuse'me while i just slip into my suit of full plate.
I would go with Fighter dualed to Cleric right at the begining-your cleric will develop as normal and you get all those proficiency points back later.
Clerics(I've played a few)are awesome,with mastery in Flails(of ages) and whatever armour you desire to wear,and some powerful spells to boot there aint mutch to stop a battle crazed cleric.

------------------
"The temple is I and I am the temple".
Old 03-21-2001, 12:11 AM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma_Malevois:
Actually, a thief can also backstab with a quarterstaff or a club - essentially it can be done with any melee weapon that a thief can use. I know because I'm running a half-orc cleric/thief (19 STR!) through Irenicus' dungeon right now, and his favorite tactic is to sneak up on those helpless little mephits and "bash dere widdle heads in" with his staff.

As a side note, here's a little trick I've discovered for fighter/thief or cleric/thief characters that I've never seen documented anywhere. Carry a suit of heavy armor with you, say plate mail. Now sneak up on your target by using the thief's stealth ability and pause the game just before you backstab. Change into the heavy armor (it's allowed as long as combat hasn't been initiated), return to the game, and backstab. You will still get the increased damage bonus!
you CANNOT backstab with a staff or ANY blunt weapon