Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-15-2000, 07:14 AM   #1
_max_RUSSKIE

Ok i have played Bgate 1 and 2 excetra excetra but,

being only 14, living in russia, having parents as much interested into fantasy as doorknobs,

I have no idea how PnP Roleplaying is done!

Is it like Warhammer 40,000 (i know about that!)? Plz tell me!

Do you play in groups? I know you have a dice, and you can create your character.

What about dungeons? Do you buy a playing map? Then walk around on it?

This has been nagging me a long time.

Does this all occur only in forgotten Realms? Anywhere else? If so are the dif. worlds connected in anyway?

Are there any websites to teach me more? Is there a map of the forgotten realms???

Any replies thanked in advance!

Old 12-15-2000, 07:25 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Ohoh, this is a tough one..
Well first of all, you can play Roleplaying games in almost every scenary, imagined country world, from the classic adventuring like the DoD world, to scence fiction games. So its only your imagination that puts the limits to where and whom you want to be.

Well on to the how then..
usually you are a group of players where one is the gamemaster and the others are the players. The players are like actors without a manuscrit only there own characters limitation to hold them back. The gamesmaster is the eyes and ears of the group and tells everyone what is happening, what they see and so on. He/she also makes all the creatures and Npc´s come to life. A director of the playing so to speak. it is alot like free theatre..

In combat and in diffucult tasks you let the dice decidde if your character success to that task.

Adventures can be bought including maps, Npc´s desriptions and the story in it to. You can also create your own adventures to play.

You can always check out roleplaying on the net alots of pages with information, you can also visit www.wizards.com for the DoD´s homesite. Check out links for example www.fasa.com who makes a game called shadowrun.
Start to surf around and try to get into one of the webrings concerning roleplaying. Hopefully someone else can give you more links than I have.
Old 12-15-2000, 07:31 AM   #3
_max_RUSSKIE

Wow you were quick!

So, Uhhmm you have a party or a single char and you arnt restricted to were you play,

There are rules right? are there any leagues or something?

Old 12-15-2000, 07:59 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well right now we have a party playing once in a month but well honestly less.. Time flies..
Yes there are rules which define more or less what can be done and have hard hings are to make the gameplay move effortless forward, Some games have very advanced rules that more or less makes it a preferance that thoose playing have to know alot about the rules whereas some are simplier and more fluent like the DoD game which are pretty easy to start with. The games are in the end what you make them to be.

There are no leagues tat I know of since roleplaying basicly are about cooperation, but there are Official groups that hosts different types of gaming styles though.

If you want to start to take alook at Roleplaying as a Pen and pape way to play I suggest you chek out Dungeons & Dragons. Very basic and real good with the material you can find to it. Alots of worlds and good authors who you can be inspired of. Second find some friends that wants to try it out cause you should be at least three players to get the real fun to come..

Check out www.wizards.com (again) cause there you can download alot of free material to have a check at it. Look up roleplaying than dungeons and dragons..
Old 12-15-2000, 11:26 AM   #5
_max_RUSSKIE

Cheers M8 !!

Old 12-15-2000, 07:31 PM   #6
Saithana

Also check out http://www.comnet.ca/~jkahane/rpg/rpg-definition.html or http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/g...leplaying.html for a definition of the term.

Some role-playing sites that I read are http://www.gamingoutpost.com/ and http://www.rpg.net/.

A key difference between roleplaying and wargaming (for example Warhammer 40k) is that with roleplaying there may be no figures and no map. All the action is described verbally (and therefore imagined by each participant).

Cheers
Craig