Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 12-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
slimjimosu
Dungeon Master

So I finished the game once already and I found that I really only wore one hat for like the whole game. I generally stuck to Finch's Fine Chapeau for the Diplomacy and Bluff bonuses. Near the end, when I got the Drow merchant I got the Darkness Helm as well but those were really the only beneficial ones I saw. I have a character now who is a Rogue/Fighter/DC and am wondering if you guys had any headgear that you liked. What kind of bonuses does it have and does it look okay? I found most of the helms have no bonus and the masks look ridiculous on a male character. I like the bonus alright on some of the masks but they take me completely out of my character as there is no way I would ever wear something like that, no matter how many bonuses I got from it. The only other ones I remember are the mage/sorc. types that increase spellcasting or intelligence. Anyways, what did you guys use over the course of the game for your characters? Maybe I have missed some good headgear during that first play-through.

I hope any expansions they put out really increase the type and number of enchanted headgear. I hate being stuck to like one hat. Maybe you should be able to enchant headgear with beneficial bonuses. I don't think you can do that can you?
slimjimosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No. You can't enchant helms or headgear, and aside from the headband of intellect, I don't think there is any headgear you can create via crafting - maybe a circlet of blasting, but that's just a guess.

I thought my female pally looked kind of rockin' in the swashbuckler's hat - until she found a major circlet of blasting. Now she looks like a princess - in plate mail! The Regal was also fairly good. I'm still after the Helm of Briliance but right now it's TOO expensive.

For Rogues, the Watchman's Helm was pretty good. One of the merchants in port llast has a pickpocketable helm called the Rogue's Hood which is good since it gives you immunity to knockdown and poison.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
slimjimosu
Dungeon Master

Sweet, I might have to try to find that Rogue's Hood. That sounds like it might be a good choice for my character. What does the helm of Brilliance do? Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have any favorites?
slimjimosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally posted by slimjimosu:
Sweet, I might have to try to find that Rogue's Hood. That sounds like it might be a good choice for my character. What does the helm of Brilliance do?
Helm of Brilliance has 50 charges - allows user to cast fireball, prismatic spray and a couple of other spells. It's always been one of my favorite items. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

How on earth do you pickpocket specific items from merchants? I didn't see the option even when I tried having Neeshka talk to one, but that was before getting to Neverwinter in ch1.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
How on earth do you pickpocket specific items from merchants? I didn't see the option even when I tried having Neeshka talk to one, but that was before getting to Neverwinter in ch1.
Try selecting Neeshka, target the merchant, and select the "slieght of hand function" - you should be able to get that function right clicking on Neeshka as well IIRC.

This IS one of my beefs about NWN2 - sleight of hand either never fails or if it does, you can never get caught! There are NO consequences to a failed pickpocket attempt! NONE. Might as well go through the town and rob everyone blind! There are a couple of nice items to be found. I've gotten Bleederkin (Rapier +2 does wounding damage on DC14); Blade of the Gladiator (ls+2 +d6 acid ); chimes of opening (50 charges, knock @ 1 chg per use) - AWESOME item if you really don't want to keep Neeshka around; Rogues Hood; and a couple of other items. Just a word of caution - the only merchant that I have found who would buy this stolen stuff is Uncus at Crossroad keep - nobody else will give you a penny for it. You MIGHT be able to sell it IF you are following the thieve guild path instead of the city watch path. The drow merchant MIGHT buy them but I don't intend on letting her into my keep.

In fact, I think you can actually bleed the merchants dry of their cash (some of them have 250,000 to 300,000 gold) by pickpocketing them (it is going to take a LONG time to do that though at 40 gp or so a pop), then use that money to buy up their really good items, and then either sell off your less valuable items to them or rob them AGAIN of the all of the gold you just spent! lol Of course it will take forever to do this so it's not viable but it COULD be done - IF you had NO life! lol

Old 01-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

So you just use the sleight of hand on the merchant? Do you do this before engaging them in conversation/wanting to look at their goods or after? In other words, is it totally random or can you target items in the shop like you could in BG?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
So you just use the sleight of hand on the merchant? Do you do this before engaging them in conversation/wanting to look at their goods or after? In other words, is it totally random or can you target items in the shop like you could in BG?
You do NOT need to have them in convo. In fact its probably better if they are not in convo - its easier. Just target them with slight of hand.

No, you can't target specific items in their inventory (that would be TOO cool). Results are also NOT random. The results of the pick pocketing are pre-ordained to a large degree. From merchants you will get gold and possibly one or two items and the items are ALWAYS fixed. Same merchant, same results. No variations im various games so far.

Actually i think Gamefaqs has a pickpocket item list - details all of the items you can snatch from various merchants and people.

Without the chance of capture or negative consequences, pickpocketing loses its charm. Its simply a point and click exercise. *sigh*

[ 01-05-2007, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

Old 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I wouldn't mind if the ONE you were pickpocketing got mad or didn't do business with you or raised prices etc, but didn't like it when EVERYONE in the area turned on you! LOL

Would be cool if the loot was randomized, though. Not, *blink* that I'd be trying it, of course.....I mean I might 'borrow' something now and again....