Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

So I was just supposed to spend fifteen minutes reparing the dang tank float valve and found that the whole set of hardware needed to be replaced, but could not get the tank to seperate from the seat because the screws were rusted shut, then realized that the seat was not bolted to the floor, then realized that the wax underneath had not been placed properly and had been rotting away the wood floor underneath, then realized that the water valve from the wall was closing off properly, then I needed to help my four-year old use the potty in the bathtub, then realized that attempting to separate the tank from the seat with necessary force to remove rusty screws actually breaks porcelain, then realized that my day was now shitty as I had to drag two babies to Lowes hardware to buy a new twoilet, then realized that taking a four-year old to the potty at Lowes is not so easy when you are towing around a baby and her car-seat around, then realized that I had forgot to bring the old valve to measure up to buy a new one, then guessed at the size, bought a cheap twoilet, get home, realize that the shot in the dark on the valve was incorrect and will have to return it for another piece after the baby wakes up from nap time, then realize that I have no idea what to do next.

Now I realize why people own guns.

[ 07-14-2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 07-13-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Stick with it, Larry. There's lots of satisfaction when you (finally) get the job done right. Swing by your library and see if there's any resources to be found there.

Or you could take the less frustrating but more expensive route of calling in a professional.

EDIT: make sure you ask any handy friends you have first. Oh, wait... I suppose that's what you're doing now. My experience hasn't leant itself to toilets, yet, so I'll just shut up now.

[ 07-13-2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 07-13-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

This may not help 'cause you found many other problems. How ever for your information. You need not remove the tank to replace the float mechanism. First shut off the inlet water by the valve next to the wall( where the pipe comes out of the wall/floor). Remove the top and flush the toilet. This will remove about 80-90% of the water in the tank. Now syphon or wipr out the remaining water. Remove the inlet pipe from the toilet (careful here to not break sometthing). Now remove the nut holding the mechanism to the toilet and replace with a new unit. Put the whole thing together by reversing the above. Turn on the water to check for leaks and there you are. Should take less than 15 minutes.
Remember to be a plumber you just have to know S*** flows downhill and payday is friday.

[ 07-13-2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Arvon ]

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 07-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
quietman1920

And tighten items j-u-s-t enough. Bolts with too much torque leak almost as much as if they were finger-tight.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:27 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

And you thought you'd save yourself some money but not hiring a plumber... [img]smile.gif[/img]

How much is your time and sanity worth?

Although I am very capable of home repairs, I generally always hire a contractor. My time is too valuable.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

Wow, speak of the devil. We just got a new bathroom, toilet and all baby. Toilet was installed, but then again our good old friendly neighboor is an electrician/plumber/handiman. So, naturally, we had help installing it.

But IMO do it yourself, the money you save and the satisfaction is well worth it. Plus, you never know what kind of plumber you get.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Good thing I have a Master Plumber as a friend. It took him about 1 1/2 hours to run new copper and install the new crapper. Had I tried to help I would have just slowed him down.

Hint...cheap toilets are just that. By a Gerber if you can find one they flush just like toilets used to before they became low flow. If you can't find a Gerber then look at the bottom of the stool where it opens for the drain (where the NO SEEP #1 goes). If the opening is nice and clean and looks like it is the proper size for the pipe you are connecting it to then it should flush ok. If it is irregular and looks too small then it will plug up alot.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:34 PM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

ever think of maybe calling a professinal? or if that is not an option just buy a brand new potty, then you can get one of the new ones that have a place to hold beer cans, and salami...oh wait that was just a dream of every man
Old 07-13-2004, 11:47 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Aw Larry, it's simple dude! I just had to replace the guts of a toilet yesterday, and always use the new 'low flow' thingy and it's a tiny one piece deal that goes in the tank--I hate those dumb tall deals with the floating hollow gasket. That is old technology.

It's easy though to replace a toliet man, When we had tile done, I replaced both toliets, dropped in new wax rings, bolted it, did the water connection and caulked it. Took about an hour, and I NEVER did it before, and never saw anyone do it either. It's weird like that about me, like its in my DNA or something... like I've done it before or something. freaky!

You'll get it man!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-14-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Z, it's the powers of the Choc working thru you! Not only freaky, but scary! [img]smile.gif[/img]