Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #11
Jorath Calar
Harper

Many people are simply interested in languages, like a guy from germany I met and was studying Icelandic... because he found it facinating. Icelandic is spoken by 280.000 people, doesn't get more remote than that [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Remember Fljotsdale who was a member here (then unfortunatly disapeared), she had studied some ancient Icelandic, that was surprising... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

If I had the time, I'd take up learning German again. I've heard from pretty much everyone, it's one of the hardest languages to learn, but I don't think so, I started learning it when I was about 9 years old. It was a hobby of my dad's and he started teaching it to me so I just learned to enjoy it. In my opinion, anything is better than learning Spanish (sorry Larry), I know that would be beneficial to learn because of obvious reasons, but I just don't really care for it.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #13
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
If I had the time, I'd take up learning German again. I've heard from pretty much everyone, it's one of the hardest languages to learn, but I don't think so, I started learning it when I was about 9 years old. It was a hobby of my dad's and he started teaching it to me so I just learned to enjoy it. In my opinion, anything is better than learning Spanish (sorry Larry), I know that would be beneficial to learn because of obvious reasons, but I just don't really care for it.
German? Hard?! What are they on?! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2004, 09:44 PM   #14
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

One common reason for learning a second language used to be to read technical / scientific journals published in other countries without having to wait for a translation. German and Russian are two languages that jump to mind for those reasons.

Another reason might be to be able to converse with your girlfriend/boyfriends parents if they can't speak your native language but she/he can.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 07-07-2004, 09:59 PM   #15
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
German? Hard?! What are they on?! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Well, I do live in an area where the majority of the languages here learned is Spanish and French, which really isn't suprising for a town.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:59 PM   #16
DragonSlayer25
Drow Warrior

I like to curse at the Mexican gangstas so I study Spanish [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] . By the way, in my area about 37% of all people are Mexican (only 30% or so are leagal however)
It\'s like a whole other world<br />Where you can smell the food<br />But you can\'t touch the silverware.<br /><br />[url]\"http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Porkmeister\" target=\"_blank\">http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Porkmeister</a>
Old 07-08-2004, 12:18 AM   #17
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
I couldn't help it, my parents moved me to English speaking territory by force at a young age and made me go to school
There, There never mind, I'm sure it was not all bad

Good topic though. My children will have to learn a language at school soon. Historically French and German have both been taught down here. Nowadays Japanese and Chinese is gaining popularity, and it does beg the question why? Why learn a foriegn language at all? Surely by the time they are in the workforce most of the educated world will speak some English anyway? And if not there will probably be sophisticated auto translation devices around anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Better to give them extra English lessons so that they have better command of the lanuage than there dad

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #18
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I kinda like it to communicate with other people in their language, or at least make an attempt to do so. Speaking several languages isn't really that important to me, but it's fun if you can.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:54 AM   #19
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I kinda like it to communicate with other people in their language, or at least make an attempt to do so. Speaking several languages isn't really that important to me, but it's fun if you can.
It does make sense, and shows how thoughtfull you are, living so close to other countries Johnny to take the trouble to learn. But why does anyone in Austrailia have to learn French or German? Hell no one bothers to learn the myraid of Aborigonal languages down here

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-08-2004, 01:35 AM   #20
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Parlez vous Aboriginal ?