Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2001, 08:09 AM   #1
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

For me personally, the ultimate computer game would be one where each character in a gaming world is represented by an online computer gamer. When the person logs on, it would be like being born, you would recieve certain skills and abilities (perhaps even forms and alignments) that were unique and unalterable. Now, the programmers could ensure you weren't too pathetic/buff, but it would allow a unbelievable degree of involvement and interaction. It would mean incrediblie playability since you would evolve in a way no one else could and so if you joined a group would allow infinite diversity and enjoyment. It would basically be mirror of the real world in a fantasy environment. Could you imagine a game where, when you approached a character and they spoke, it was someone typing online, creating quests in their imagination. Or perhaps real happenings e.g. player logs on, gets a priest character, but no temple. Needs cash to finance set up, so pays you to rob another player etc. The world would be a dynamic and would allow play that was real and realistic. The quests would not be created but a neceesity. The repercussions would alter the environment and people in it e.g. a poor(er) merchant a new temple and

I know Ultima is an attempt to do this, but I mean to go one step further, a world where everything is player. no set quests etc. it would have to develop a personality of its own. Player might even get 'online born' as a dragon etc. What do you think.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:31 AM   #2
Eternalsaiyan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That would be an awesome game. It would be even better with no load times. you could just go whever you want and not have to see please wait till game loads. It would have to be a HUGE world. Who knows we may see a game like that real soon...
Old 06-29-2001, 10:39 AM   #3
Magog
Welcomed New User

I have always wanted to design a futuristic war RPG like that, where you would start off as a basic grunt taking orders from a higher level player and working your way up, as you get further up the ladder, you get to design the missions for others to follow, going on to team leader then general of a few teams and so on choosing whether or not to take part in them yourself, people could even design their own weapons and submit them. even open a shop and sell them, You could leave your team and go renegade, or become a traitor basically do anything you like....

I dont think that they have the technology as yet, but in the future, Who knows

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 06-29-2001).]
Old 06-29-2001, 10:42 AM   #4
Waluin

Well the concept isn't new, but for RPG's it would be.

The best (and my personal favorite) of what you are suggesting is the "Wing Commander" series of space combat titles. There are games where you manage your own fleet tactics, one where you are a mercenary, and of course the standard storyline series that has been going on with movie-interludes now.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:42 AM   #5
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

Right now there are actually alot of games that have tried to attempt this. I find the idea of the computer randomly choosing what who your characteris interesting, but some people prefer to create their own. If your interested in playing massive online games like this try Asherons Call or Everquest. Personaly Asherons call has to be my choice.
Old 07-03-2001, 07:40 AM   #6
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

What I'm reallly into is the idea of a gameworld that is responsive to the characters in it (i.e. fluid not static.). So, cities evolve, ports grow etc. I'm not on about sim style games, but ones where you control a character who can do what they wish (rob, steal, establish businesses, quest whatever.) In this world, other characters will also be online players, who will behave in a similar manner. In a Baldurs world this could mean say, a player could log on, decide to become an adventurer. Perhaps another player is already there, who is an established shopkeeper. Perhaps the shopkeeper wants to get their hands on a particularly rare item and then pays the new adventurer to get the object. If the adventurer succeeds, shopkeeper profits etc. Perhaps adventurer decides to keep the good for themselves. Perhaps shopkeeper gets item and sells shop to become an adventurer themslelves and so on. This would require some guidance etc, in the form of seeding of items, gold resources and so on, but would allow some epic gameworld development. Everone could work within the environment to whatever end takes their fancy.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:05 AM   #7
Glycerine
Manshoon

There are quite a few games like that. EverQuest, Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, etc.

Glycerine
Old 07-03-2001, 03:03 PM   #8
Coldblade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heh go check www.shadowbane.com it is going to be one good RGP game perhapas up there with baldur's gate II.
Old 07-03-2001, 04:03 PM   #9
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Far more races, classes, and other things then bg2 and ToB.
You get to (later) BE a minotaur! Cool stuff.
check it out at
www.shadowbane.com

------------------
Will the real cheesy lich stop using timestop, stop using time stop, YEAH BABY! :1diablo:

Old 07-03-2001, 05:10 PM   #10
ScottG
Drow Warrior

There used to be a really old (80's) rpg game that was purely word scripted (no graphics) that was very similar to what you are describing. It was on several campuses (University of Texas was where I first saw it in 91').