Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 02:22 AM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Does anyone have tips on how to use scripts effectively? Alternatively, how do I control the NPCs to get them to fight more effectively. I've just emerged from the starting dungeon into the Promenade. Based on my experience fighting in the dungeon I am not confident about the battles that lie ahead. My characters almost always get into major hurt. I spent 4 game days (!) in there, what with all the resting until healed.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-04-2001, 02:28 AM   #2
Nostron
Manshoon

well i usually just put everybody on standard scripts. when i need to cast a spell i just pause and pick a spell then cast it.
ohhh yah make sure that ur pausing during a match and plan out who ur going to attack.

the npc's can be controlled pretty much the same as ur character. my tip would be just set everybody in standard script. works for me

------------------
Mess with the best Die like the Rest!!
Old 04-04-2001, 03:57 AM   #3
Lord Shield

I disabled the scripts and set Auto-pause on:
Enemy sighted
Enemy gone
Weapon Gone
Spell Cast
Trap Found
I give all the orders manually

Old 04-04-2001, 04:09 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The first thing you might want to do is set the game to automatically pause when an enemy is sighted, this will prevent you from being minced before you even see your opponents.

Your NPC scripts should reflect what you want to automate with respect to your NPCs' behaviour. So if you have a thief, you might want to automatically have him/her always searching for traps if you are in a dungeon. Alternatively if you use your thief to scout ahead, you will want to have the scout option enabled. You will probably want to set the missile attack option for party members who are not tanks and have missile weapons. I wouldn't recommend having the script that causes NPCs to aggressively chase enemies unless you want that NPC to die very quickly.

A final hint: in the event that you want to override these scripts (and once you become more familiar with the interface you will) without having to go into the options page and switching it off for each NPC there is an AI button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. You can use it to switch NPC AI on or off.

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.
Old 04-04-2001, 04:10 AM   #5
white heron
Manshoon

I set everyones script to 'standard attack'(mages ,bowmen ,everyone)and turn the AI on.Everyone attacks quickly at the first sighn of trouble.You may have noticed that with the AI on its difficult to get your group to do EXACTLY what you want ,so for more dangerous battles or when i want to concentrate fire on one character,i always turn the AI off and use the PAUSE feature to nurse everyone through the battles.you'll be surprised how easy some fights can be when you gain confidence,and work out some strategys.